BT release Smart Talk App

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by blankscreen, Feb 24, 2013.

1. blankscreen

blankscreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hi guys, i have run this in the iPhone forums

we all like to save a few pennies, i recently reviewed my internet and landline phone costs.

i was on BT for landline and Infinity 1 internet, thats not a boast, i got 40 meg per month. I changed to infinity 2 and now get unlimited 80meg download and 20 upload. I run a small business and check CCTv footage remotely, plus i play games and have 3 grandchildren who also play online games here.

enough of my thrilling life lol! Recently BT released their Smart Talk App,

// with apologies i removed the link - i did not realise against forums rules.

simply Google BT Smart Talk or if you have a BT account you can see it in 'upgrading services'

In short you can attach up to 5 smart phones to your landline and get your calls at landline rate using this app (available in other o/sflavours not just iPhone).

So if you go BT with all calls anytime+ (breaking call every hour) you can natter endlessly on your mobile as though from your home phone, you get free 0800 and 0845 and half price landline rates to mobiles of any service provider.

seems to me a very good deal, especially for those like me as well as any who have kids that overuse their mobiles, as long as you have WiFi or 3G (data costs only).

thinking about while abroad or holidays, EE's bolt on's are very expensive for what you get - data roaming just don't go their, but using this app over any free WiFi i can scrounge in cafes etc it will be a boon. It will also work over G3, given it is only speech i'd guess little data would be used, so the bolt-on would i think offer much better value for phone calls at least.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    I trialed this for a few months before it was released. I think it's been well thought-through and works pretty well - especially the latest version (there was an update last week that greatly improved stability). Initially it took me a while to set up, but it turned out there was an outstanding order on my home line that I didn't know about - one that got closed it worked straight away.

I believe there are iPhone & Android apps available now with Windows & Blackberry in the pipeline.

3. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Over wifi I would expect this to work a treat with the exception of some hotel wifi hotspots where the bandwidth seems to be pitiful at best. It's no different to Skype but with a different billing provider.

I would however be careful on 3G. You have already spotted that when on holiday abroad, data roaming is a no go but most mobiles have a cap on the amount of data you get and even voice can soon eat into that allowance.

But with all of these, in the UK, mobile voice minutes are pretty cheap anyway and many get lots and lots of inclusive minutes so whilst you could, use the BT plan would it actually save you any money?

4. blankscreen

blankscreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Early days as yet, i've just signed the wife on with no issues. For me the free 0800 0845 0870 services will be worth while. i call a lot of companies helplines using my mobile who use these numbers and are nit covered by most mobile plans, so a worthwhile saving to be had for mw :).

my wife insists on a contract only sim, yet she only makes 10 calls and 15 texts a month tops, if i could get her to go payg and use the BT app this would be a good saving. but try as i might to explain this, she gets in huff. yet i go buy an extra bottle of win or computer game and all hell breaks out 'because i'm wasting my money - AGAIN!

best of it is she works as a company ACCOUNTANT!

5. blankscreen

blankscreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    just to add, i get a rubbish mobil signal at home, using WiFi i can now use my phone (outgoing) and have my full contact list available.

not sure what happens if i get an incoming landline call at the same time - could get interesting :)

6. GaseousClay

GaseousClay
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,810
    Not a problem. It's possible to make multiple calls using mobile devices and still use the landline. :thumbsup:

I have to say this is brilliant, we signed up for it yesterday, and it's a piece of **** to set up.

7. blankscreen

blankscreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    having now used the app over a few weeks i have no complaints, just love i don't get slapped for using 'free' 0800, 0845 etc. phone numbers.

always been a beef if mine as to get charged extra for these outside if my call plan, although i never get close to exceeding it s just plain greedy and unfair by the service providers.

8. sue_hall

sue_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    Folks,

Virgin Media do a very similar app which does the same thing for those who don't use BT ;-)

Theirs has been out a while now to.

D

9. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,283
    Beginning to get rather fed up with having to re-register every time it updates. Especially as today's won't complete due to some vague "system problem". :(

10. GaseousClay

GaseousClay
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,810
    Not experienced any problems here.

11. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,283
    Unistalled & reinstalled & went OK. Think I'll just ignore future updates.

12. blankscreen

blankscreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Tbh u've not had this issue, but i have had few crashes since last update.