BT Rant

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jenn, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    I'm quite annoyed with BT right now.

Our business has the phones and the Internet with BT, so far so good.
    A few months ago we were at the end of the 12 months minimum contract period for broadband, so of course they contacted us to check if we wanted to renew on a new 12 months tied in contract. As we didn't have to we just said we'd keep on going with this contract.

Then 2 weeks ago the Internet goes down; phone technical helpline to check for faults: "no fault however there has been a cancellation on your services".
    After hours on the phone no one could explain who cancelled the services, it obviously wasn't us, they have no idea and they can't just switch it back on, we have to re-order a new contract. What a coincidence...
    I proceed with writing a complaint asking that the issue is investigated to see who cancelled OUR services without our authorisation, see what they plan to do about the loss of business for the week we had no Internet and also for them to confirm that we aren't tied in for another 12 months as we never cancelled in the 1st place.
    They read the complaint, acknowledged it and nicely ignored it!

Today we get a phone service bill (just £30 worth for a phone answer message) and there we have a £10 charge for late payment on the last bill (due end of Feb).
    I check and the cheque was raised on time so give them a call and they tell me that the payment was registered 9th March hence the penalty. I point out that the money went out of the account on the 7th March and also that the cheque was raised and sent 19th Feb so at worse they got it 21st Feb.
    Not my problem if they take 20 days to register the payment !
    AS A GOODWILL GESTURE she waived the penalty charge??!!

I think I'll write a complaint to ofcom as I'm fed up with these big companies who think they can charge you more because you're a business and give you an appaling service and then ignore your complaints so they get away with murder if they want to.

No point to this post other than vent my frustration and anger; I feel slightly better now :)

2. liveforav

liveforav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    BT are a nightmare. I recently had a problem with them when they charged me for a service i didnt agree to. Loads of hassle getting the money back (over £100).

Even though they acknowleged that the error was on there part they said the bill still stands and that they would give me a tenner back as a good will gesture! Call & calls late and they've finaly refunded the lot, so it pays to be persistant and just politly tell them to shove it.

Also helped on my part that i threatened to tell my bank that they have take additional money out that i did't authorise (variable direct debit). It seems that companies that screw up on collecting the incorrect amounts are fined by the banks or some obidsman or somesuch - That was the thing that made them pay up!

Good luck :smashin:

3. dng007

dng007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Also I'm sure you can claim compensation from BT for every 24 hour period you go without phone service (certainly this used to be the case - might be worthwhile looking in to it anyway) - Though of course they'll probably say it was due to 'someone' cancelling the line rather than a technical fault, and try and weasel out of it.

4. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    Well we were out of broadband rather than phones but we have an online shop and we couldn't access the secure server to check on orders and no email access in the office. We got round it by popping home every few hours, doing quotes there and stuff but it was a major hassle.
    I believe compensation is due somewhere but have you tried getting blood out of a stone?

What gets me though is how they cancel the service pretending they have no idea how it happened just so you HAVE to take a new 12 months contract (as if they couldn't simply press a key on a computer to reinstate the service) and then ignore completely the complaint.

Then have the cheek to charge us £10 for them taking 20 days to process a payment !

I will certainly complain to Ofcom or someone even if I get nothing out of it. It's just that BT need to learn that contracts/complaints/fines don't only work in their favour.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Jenn

When I had problems with BT lastyear after moving house, I eventually sent an email to the chairman, Ben Verwaayen and unbelievably within less than an hour I had the BT 'A Team' on the case, my problems were resolved next day and I had a big refund.

Extreme, but it worked.

6. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932

That is the road to go though Mep, miss the small fish and get straight to the head honcho, 99% of the time it works for me.

Liam

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    They even still call me now and then to make sure that everything is OK!

8. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    That's an idea, thanks.

I'm always polite and understanding to the staff who answers the phones because I know they don't know/can't do much about it and I believe being polite goes a long way; but a complaint being ignored is a disgrace.

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    none of the companies who provide telecomms for business are angels.....they all screw up sometimes.....forget the name of the company who did the phones/network at my last place, but they took 4 weeks to sort out something that someone in the office ended up giving them the answer to :rolleyes: