BT rant

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by MikeP1, Dec 29, 2011.

1. MikeP1

MikeP1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Just need to rant about my BT issues.

They managed to cut off my service on the 23rd Dec, they admit they made some type of mistake which led them to cancel my broadband.

They then tell me the only way it can be fixed is to create a new order for broadband & say it will be Jan 4th before they can switch it back on. I tell them this is unacceptable and so they offer up a dongle for the 28th Dec. Still unhappy I pushed more & get told they will expedite my request & I should be back online for 28th/29th.

I call back to BT yesterday to get confirmation they had made an expedite request against my order. Agent confirms they did, it was accepted & my line will be activated on the 29th Dec.

Today I get a call from BT to say my 4th Jan activation was now being pushed back to the 5th. I go through all my things I'd done so far & the guy says they have no record of a expedite request, that all such requests are not permitted through the holiday period & so whoever told me was wrong.

I have spoken to easily 5 agents (2 supervisors and 1 manager), they had all told me my request was going through. Then this one manager today tells me they were all wrong & they can't do anything.

The service with BT has always been poor IMO, but now that they make it near impossible to speak to someone with real knowledge it's got even worse.

It's hard to believe they ever make any money this way. Rant over :mad:

2. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    It looks to me as though the BT system is forcing them to apply the ofcom imposed (for BT only) minimum five working days between order and activation.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    BT (like all companies) have to use Openreach to handle most connections where it is not simply a stopped line. Sometimes they make the request to Openreach and this is agreed as a special occasion if work level in the local area is low and there is no significant weather warnings etc. However, BT (or whoever you pay your money to) are supposed to tell you this is not guaranteed and your original date may still apply.

The same thing would have occured no matter what company you were with, the best thing to do is put it in writing, along with the times (and if possible names) you spoke to them. Request they listent to the calls etc and that you would like suitable compensation for the duration spent without internet (I'm assuming they made a faux pas in disconnecting you and you didnt request it then change your mind, if the latter is the case, you have no cause for complain realistically, other than them saying something would definitely happen that they cannot control).

Dont get angry at them or anything like that, just follow their complaints procedure until you are satisfied with a response, but please do bear in mind that for the most part this will boil down to a training issue, and as you are not a business, you are not out of pocket, just inconvenience, therefore suitable compensation will be relatively minimal.

I'm presuming you have checked your BB isnt actually working? Sometimes things get screwed up and it turns out you are connected as of the revised date, but the original work order simply wasnt cancelled...lol

To be honest, the fact they've given you a dongle means you have the ability to access the internet for the majority of things, granted speeds will be a little erratic, but unless you are in a bad area for it, the speeds are not normally too bad, in fact they can be faster than a lot of home broadband!..lol

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  4. MikeP1

MikeP1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thanks, appreciate the info. I have been checking my connection each day and so far still not back on with BB. It is in fact my business line, about 6 months back the company decided we had to start providing our own connection & then claim the cost back. As you said though, it's not costing me anything as such.

I will ask them to review the tapes given the amount of different agents who all told me my connection was due back on the 29th.

The last manager I spoke with is saying that due to the holiday period open reach had already put a stop on them making any expedite requests.

Not sure they will ever tell me why the cut me off, I def hadn't made any request to have my line cancelled. I'd made no contact with BT at all since setting up the account.

Hopefully it will come back early next week, I hate being without BB.

5. Fen Star

Fen Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    They set up my new contract wrong and the person who set it up pushed the wrong buttons and stuck me on the wrong tariff so when it didn't change I rang back to be told that the person who did it before made a mistake now that's fine we all make mistakes but then he told me that they must have known they had made the mistake because the records show that they had tried to cancel and renew it but could so instead of getting somebody who could do they just didn't bother and left it, so I can sympathise with you on BT customer service at times......

6. Fen Star

Fen Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Just an update to this just received my latest bill and they have charged me £82 for cancelling the contract that they had to cancel because of their mistake..:facepalm:

You couldn't make this :censored: up..... Put your house in order BT for gods sake...:suicide:

7. MikeP1

MikeP1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I also had my bill a couple of weeks back and had a one off charge of £42 for a dongle they had said would be free. To be fair, they did just cancel that payment without any type of arguing when I called them up.

There customer service is awful on the whole though IMO.

Hope you they give you yours back easily.

8. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    They billed me for BT vision unlimited because the women who took the order decided to sign me up for it even after I said no. Just wanted the box. Four calls later being told it would be cancelled and it still showed online. Finally got my bill and was billed for it so asked to speak to a manger right away and put in a complaint against everyone id spoken to previous. Was refunded there and then by the manager.

9. miles safer

miles safer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have read several stories of this kind of thing happening on the BT Care Forum, In some cases BT have even denied it had happened then conceded it had when the customer proved their case.

Watch you bills like a hawk & refuse to take less than every penny they owe you back. Also if you can be bothered a full complaint to some one at BT HQ, like Warren Buckley, about fraudulent selling may help get some wheels turning to stop this in the future.

10. Fen Star

Fen Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Well they refunded it for me today and were full of apologies, but with their track record I'll ring back in a few days just to make sure....:D

11. miles safer

miles safer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Don't forget to check it is actually in your account as well.

12. Fen Star

Fen Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Well rang them up again today to be told it wasn't done when I rang before as the department that deals with it was closed so they didn't bother, but they assured me that it was done today, what terrible, terrible, customer service the lies they told me, and people not bothering to do their jobs.....:thumbsdow

13. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Sounds like my experience with them.

14. Fmrl

Fmrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    I've been on Orange LLU for a couple of years and only had a couple of minor problems with them. The speed wasn't great (only getting around 3.5mbps) but I think that had a lot to do with my attenuation.

Last Friday the link started running extremely slowly, I couldn't even load a speed check website page never mind actually find out what speed I was getting (router was still quoting around a 3mbps download though). And while I was on the phone to Orange the line dropped completely. The link has been up and down ever since with the speed varying between 0.5 and 2mbps. It's as if the line is re-training but this might have a lot to do with DLM.

Apparently, all Orange broadband is now BT WBC so it's just like having a BT Broadband connection only without BT's wonderful customer service :rolleyes:

15. Fmrl

Fmrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    Openreach engineer just left. He found a wiring problem at the cabinet which he's now fixed and the attenuation has gone down from around 52 to 49 :smashin:

But the SNR has gone up from around 9 to between 12 and 14 (it's flapping about like mad). The engineer fitted a brand new NTE with an integrated splitter FOC which is really nice of him but he said he couldn't do anything about the SNR.

Broadband speed is still woefully slow at just under 2mbps but I'm hoping the SNR will settle down over the weekend which might mean I can get back to my previous level.

16. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    To be honest, the main reason you see soo many complaints against BT is because they still hold the largest market share of telephony/internet customers. Every company has good and bad staff when it comes to call centres/sales, its nothing to do with the company in most cases as most companies have fairly good training programmes. The problem is the staff, it is very easy to get yourself a job in a call centre if you are capable of selling yourself in the interview. The downside to those type of people is that when they get in to the job, they make sure they learn the basics, but dont care to pay attention to the more exotic problems that can crop up, so when they do, they dont know what to do. But as that type of person tends to be the type who doesnt like to admit they are wrong or bad at something, they just bowl through the problem, claiming everythings ok, whilst pressing buttons that make things 'appear' to be fixed/resolved. Then, as we all know, it goes wrong, an appointment isnt kept, or you get invoiced for something you should not have done etc. But this happens with all companies, but when their customer base is relatively low compared to another companies, it doesnt look so bad on the smaller company. BT, Sky, Virgin, British Gas, Npower etc, usual suspects that crop up as being really bad for customer service, and whilst in some cases, senior management decisions have actually been the cause of bad service, for the most part, its just down to the sheer amount of agents they have to employ, which means larger amounts of bad agents getting through the interview procedure.

I work for a company that does energy and telephony, and whilst we win plaudits regularly for customer service, we still have our unfortunate moments....but as we are relatively small (around 1% of the market, which isnt that small, but still nothing compared to the big boys) nobody tends to pay any attention when someone says 'oh this company have really poor service'.....because its one voice saying it, not thousands, but in relative terms, its the same percentage...lol

I tend to deal with companies I receive from in a simple manner. I tell them the problem and how I believe it could be resolved. I let them consider it and confirm they agree or listen to a proposed alternative. If they sound right, I let them do it their way, if I believe they have misunderstood, I restate what I believe is more suitable. If they insist on their way, I make it clear that I do not believe it will work, but they are welcome to try on the grounds if it goes wrong, I'll be suitably compensated. Then they normally backtrack and speak to a supervisor and do it my way, or they decide to act like a muppet and do it their way.

If its resolved, I dont worry, every company has issues, I dont request compensation in the first instance of complaint. If it is not resolved, then I take it up the escalation level each time it fails until I get to someone who can fix the problem/issue, and I request suitable compensation for the aggrevation.

The key is to never get angry or upset, unless it is an emergency situation (such as loss of electricity in a winter time etc), just be patient, state your case clearly each time and repeat what they say to you. Also always take a name and extension/login number (they ALWAYS have an extension/login number, it might not be direct dial, but all phone systems operate in this manner). This way, if you ever have to take the escalation to the CEO Office (and from there to the ombudsman), they can never hold you accountable for making situation more difficult etc. This is when you get the biggest compensation for the hassle. Oh, always continue to pay for any service provided correctly, only ever withold payment on the thing you are arguing over. Again, this works very well in your favour if it ever goes to the ombudsman ;)