BT Problems

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by hw007, Sep 1, 2007.

1. hw007

hw007
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On Friday 24th August 2007, I lost my broadband service till 30th August 2007 (a total of 7 days). At first I thought it might be a technical fault, therefore I phoned BT Broadband Technical helpdesk on 0800 731 8578. I was told that there was something wrong on my username and was told to carry out some tests, i.e. change my username from what BT provided me to a test username to see if there was a fault with the line. Having done this, I still could not go on line, and was told that the technical department will do everything that they can to get me back on line as soon as possible.

I was told that I would have my broadband service restored by Monday, at which I had to remind the technical helpdesk that it is a Bank Holiday here in the UK as the person I was talking to had a very heavy Indian accent, then I was assured that the service would still be back to normal by Bank Holiday Monday.

Having waited till Monday, I still had no broadband service, when again I spoke to the technical helpdesk, I was told that an engineer would need to come out and have a look at the problem, the helpdesk asked me if 28th August 2007 was acceptable for an engineer to visit to which I replied it was a bit short notice for me to take a day off work and wait for the engineers visit, the engineer was booked for Wednesday between 1pm and 6pm for which I took a day off from work, having stayed at home waiting for the engineer to turn up. The engineer never turned up.

Then throughout the day I phoned the technical department back and was told that my broadband service had been suspended, when I questioned why it was suspended I was told it was possibly due to non payment of my bill! Or the possibility of a new exchange in my area, again I wasn’t given a straight forward answer. I then proceeded to ring BT Broadband Billing Department, to which I was told that my payments have always been on time and that there is no problem with payments on the account.

Having phoned various departments to try and find out what happened I was told that I was on non-aligned billing and was being moved to aligned billing and that is why I lost my broadband service and that a new order has been placed on 29th August 2007 and would be activated for 30th August 2007. To which I questioned who had placed the order and who gave the go ahead for this? To which I never got a reply.

From this whole episode I have been given the following answers;

1. There is a problem with your router,
    2. There is a problem with your username,
    3. There is a problem with your domain,
    4. There is a fault on the line,
    5. An Engineer has to come and fix the problem,
    6. Your service has been suspended possibly due to non payment of a bill / or possibly due to having a new exchange near your area,
    7. You are non aligned billing and you are being moved to aligned billing,
    8. A new order has been placed for you,
    9. I’m being moved from business to residential account,
    10. You are not a BT Broadband customer you are BT Yahoo Broadband customer.

Have just had broadband back, now getting really bad speeds, from between 1Mb to 4Mb, I know my line can support at least 6 Mb, which I used to get before, also had a phone call from BT's billing department and they are giving me £6 off my bill next month for my troubles.

Looks like a job for Watchdog, I've had enough from BT over the last 7 days.

Hitesh

2. andybedz

andybedz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    keep me informed how you get on. I had similar problems about two months ago. i threatened to leave and asked for my mac code.

i then got thru to someone in the uk , listened to me then transferred me to the uk call centre.

they still didn't admit there was a fault but would look into it, since then fingers crossed everything is ok

3. hw007

hw007
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have passed on all details to Mr. Duncan Ingram, Managing Director - Customer Serivices (PM if you want his email address).

He is looking into it and have had a reply as follows from him

Lets see what he can do.