Answered BT phone and broadband into wall?

Halk

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting my place renovated and when it comes to the room with the BT socket in it they're going to tidy up the messy installation. Is it possible to have the phone and broadband connection behind a wall plate as I would do with sockets, or does it have to stick out in a surface mounted box?

As far as I know a BT master socket is a wall mounted box and they don't offer a faceplate version. Tricky to do that since the lower half needs to come off to reveal the test socket. Engineers would be heading into a wall space and I suspect they prefer to keep the wall mounted box.

I'm sure a BT tech will correct me if I am wrong :)

You can fit the Master Socket faceplate onto any standard recessed back box, but you cannot replace the faceplate itself with another of your choosing - it's BT's property and the point of isolation between their equipment and yours.

This is what's there just now. The part at the back is filthy, I assume from a smoker that lived here before.

6GEyggZ.jpg

Ideally I'd like to cut the wire and have it installed somewhere else, somewhere neater and with clean plastic. From what someone else has said it won't be able to go into the wall with a plate over it, but will I be able to replace the box?

You've said I cannot replace the faceplate, hopefully you mean I only need to keep the bit of plastic that's clean?

The bit that says Openreach is the only bit that has to stay. Officially only BT can move the cable. It is only 2 wires that are connected, and anyone conpetent at using a punch-down tool can easily re-terminate the cable (being mindful of the voltage present when the line rings). If it were me I'd want the old/dirty surface boxes removed too and replaced with an in-wall single gang back box onto which the Openreach faceplate can be refitted.

"in-wall single gang back box onto which the Openreach faceplate can be refitted."

The electrician will be capable of it, but I need to have whatever he needs here for him arriving. Would you be able to suggest what I need to buy?

25mm SINGLE METAL BACK BOX -1 GANG WALL PATTRESS UK- FLUSH MOUNT: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Is that what you mean, which I just understand to be a normal back box?

Genuine OpenReach BT Master Socket NTE5C + VDSL MK4 New 2016 Faceplate BNIB | eBay

Would I then get something like that and discard the plastic surface mounted back box?

Edit : Looking again at what I have.... I realise the ebay link is the current 2017 version but what I have would seem to be an extremely grotty surface mounted back box and on top of that a reasonably clean two part assembly thing, one of which I shouldn't be replacing. Meaning I'd only need a metal in wall back box, and I could just stick everything else into the back box and have it as neatly mounted as is possible?

Edit : There seems to be 3 parts to it...

* Back box
* Master socket
* Filter

My picture seems to show that the master socket and filter are fine, and it's the back box that isn't. I could do what I originally intended to, but thought I couldn't which is get rid of the back box and have it set into the wall, and while I wouldn't have a flush socket I'd at least have it only sticking partly out compared to the abomination I currently have.

I don't need anything other than a standard back box, and the electrician can sort it out. Although for the sake of £13 I may as well get the ebay thing as a backup in case he wants it or in case it's better.

I think I have my head around it now!

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom