BT outside grey box

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by durgen, Dec 22, 2011.

1. durgen

durgen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just finished doing my house up and in the process the main bt box got pulled off the wall so now I'm planning on asking to get a outside box installed, has anyone done this and do you no how much they will charge to install and what will I need to do to prepare for the install, i.e drill a hole and pop a telephone cable outside

2. durgen

durgen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Also who do I contact to get this done, do I need to contact bt or can I contact sky and see if they can sort it out as I am planning on getting 1 of their phone and Internet packages

3. buckle247

buckle247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not sure what you mean?

The main box was pulled off the wall - as in the internal phone socket?

What type of external box do you want and why? How does the line get to your house, underground or overhead?

4. durgen

durgen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah the main bt phone point was taken off the wall and the new one I am on about getting installed does the same job except the connection is outside the property so any engineers who need to check your phone line don't need to enter your property to see if any faults are on your end of the line or theirs (also they will be able to do it while I am at work)
    My cable is a overhead cable from a telegraph pole on the other side of the road which after looking at looks like it needs tightening up it's hanging a lot lower than all the neighbours

5. buckle247

buckle247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Is there not a connection block of any sort at the eaves already? That is the best option TBH, rather than an external socket which have a few problems.

6. durgen

durgen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No the cable originally went thru the bottom corner of my sitting room window with the main bt point sitting on my window cill, at the moment it is just hanging down the side of the building and you can trace it back to the telegraph pole which is only about 10 meters away from my property, have you heard about problems with the outside connection points? I have seen them on some new property's on building sites but I don't actually know anyone who has 1 fitted for any input off them I just thought they were the new standard for phone connections into property's

7. buckle247

buckle247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    They were going to be the standard on new underground fed sites, but obviously they are not compatible with FTTC products so unsure if they will have a permanent future or not.
    There was talk of them being used on overhead fed houses, but never seen one fitted yet.

8. durgen

durgen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So who should I contact to sort a connection out bt or openreach or are they the same company,
    When I am on the phone I will have a word and see what connection choices are available and if a outside master box is available

9. buckle247

buckle247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You will have to go through your service provider via sales, who will book the appointment with Openreach.

Probably ordering an overhead shift of service or something similar. You will of course be charged for it though

Not sure how current this is, but says £193
    http://www.bt.com/pricing/current/Exch_Lines_boo/2-1294_d0e453.htm

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  10. durgen

durgen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So are you saying I should ring sky because that is who I am hoping to get my phone package off along with Internet

11. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,590
    That sounds about right.

12. RMB

RMB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do you have a working phone connection now?and who Is it with?
    If you are not in a contract with anyone and have no working line just ring sky for example and just order whatever you want.sky will then build a job for openreach to install/reconnect your line the engineer will sort out the wiring when on site.
    If your with bt now ring bt and they will request a vist but you will be charged

13. durgen

durgen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've no working connection and I'm not in a contract with anyone as I have just moved into the property a week ago I will ring sky and see what they say

14. buckle247

buckle247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not necessarily, if records show a line used to exist at the property, they may be able to re-start it without an engineer visiting.
    You would have to say when ordering the line, that the previous people ripped out the socket or something similar to guarantee that they will build an engineer visit.

15. deathtrap3000

deathtrap3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    The external nte is obsolete now. If we have a job which has one we have to bypass them and fit an internal nte master socket.

16. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,699
    They will probably charge you unless you blag it. But I'm sure they can still check a line if it's not been used

17. durgen

durgen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've contacted sky directly and they are sorting it all out for me, I am getting my sky box Monday my Internet activated on the 9th and a openreach engineer is coming out on the 12th to fit me a new phone line, their was no mention of price on the phone for this so hopefully it's free but knowing my luck I will probly be stung with a bill
    My new question now is I was originally hoping to get a outside bt point and wire this straight into a click new media telephone secondary module where all the phone cables for the rest of the house start from in essence making this my main phone point but I don't think this is possible now as they have stopped using these so I will have to have a internal bt point fitted which will be about 1 foot away from my click phone module.
    Do you think if I could blag a bit of external phone cable off the engineer when he comes I could go out the back of the bt point along my wall about 1 foot and back into my phone point this will work all the other phones in my house

18. RMB

RMB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just ask him to fit the nte next to your wiring.cant see it being a problem