• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BT - not impressed

blasted

BT is shocking.

I’m soon to be moving house. So I ring them up and ask about the moving process for my land line. I’m going to be moving on the 4th August. They explain to me there is no line at the property so I need an engineer to visit (even though on Google street maps you can see a line going to the property. This is going to cost me £130, and the earliest they can do it is the 17th August.

On the flip side, I rang sky the other day; they got me straight in, no charge and will be supplying all the equipment.

eob

Shocking, although Sky are no better. Once they've got you all the discounts and deals dry up and dissapear.
I moved to Sky after my wife left BT's employ. We had a really good emplyee deal y'see.
Sky were only too glad to have us, threw a wad of discounts at us etc. But now, when they expire, you have to threaten to leave to get any cuts.
And even then, they still reserve the best deals for new customers like yourself.
I now flip flop between the two. It takes a bit of effort but it is worth it.

blasted

Im not a new sky cutomer, just moving my service. I've always been happy with sky and when i talked about moving, they couldn't have been more helpful and provided a service which will keep my custom.

BT, are poor at providing a service and they have almost cornered and robbed me at the same point. Im not using their broadband as I dont like the T&C's.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Personally cant fault bt at all, never had any issues, almost no down time, and get 87 down and 27 up at its best over infinity, well worth the money.

I think all to often only the negative is heard about, im sure people have issues with every provider

blasted

There is no fibre optic service at this location.

Are other people able to supply a phone line other than BT, do BT still need to sort things out?

dieeasysteve

When i joined(last year) BT I got a new line installed for free as the current line had been disconnected before we got the house. I've been very happy with my BT. The only issues i've had is with the call centres making you jump though all the hoops when investigating issues but all isp are like that.

I've just moved into a flat for 6 months as your house is getting fixed(flooding) so we are moving our BT over, Rang BT on Friday the 20th and they are coming round to setup the connection in the flat on Monday the 30th. Even managed to get the Belfast call centre on the phone when arranging it so had no issues with accents. No extra charges or anything, I think that's pretty good service and not thieving!

blasted

Stuff it, just switched to the talk talk offer.

Unlimted broadband (BT capped), 12 month contract (same as BT), £50 connection fee which is credited back to your account (BT £130 and not credited back), line rental about same as BT at £14 per month, broadband on offer at £3.25 per month (BT a lot more)

Saving the £130 is good, the rest is a bonus.

My overall bills for line rental and braodband have gone from £35 a month to £17.75 per month.

Still got to wait a while for connection though, open reach must only employ a handful of people to cover the UK.

w3dal

Distinguished Member
Stuff it, just switched to the talk talk offer.

Unlimted broadband (BT capped), 12 month contract (same as BT), £50 connection fee which is credited back to your account (BT £130 and not credited back), line rental about same as BT at £14 per month, broadband on offer at £3.25 per month (BT a lot more)

Saving the £130 is good, the rest is a bonus.

My overall bills for line rental and braodband have gone from £35 a month to £17.75 per month.

Still got to wait a while for connection though, open reach must only employ a handful of people to cover the UK.

been with TT for 6 months and moved house also and they have been fantastic. any issues log them on the TT help forum as you get a much better level of support than calling them.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
been with TT for 6 months and moved house also and they have been fantastic. any issues log them on the TT help forum as you get a much better level of support than calling them.

Really? I guess they must have really improved. I was with TT about 3 years ago and their service was shocking, from poor broadband right up to utter rubbish customer service, which is the reason I don't touch them with a barge pole now.

w3dal

Distinguished Member
Really? I guess they must have really improved. I was with TT about 3 years ago and their service was shocking, from poor broadband right up to utter rubbish customer service, which is the reason I don't touch them with a barge pole now.

You are not the first person to mention this to me :D

I have moved house with them, and with the help of the support forum they changed my profile no questions asked and saw my connection go from 6meg to 14meg.

This is only my experience and going through a differnet route to sort issues out, as i can imagine customer services being hard work.

D

Deleted member 498601

BT often waived the installation fee if you choose broadband/ phone with them. Is that not a option?

For years i've avoided BT for their deplorable customer service, but as they are the only current fibre optic provider, a 65mb download speed is too tempting...

not true, I install a lot of kit for BT's new 'Infinity', and all the other providers - Sky, O2, Talk Talk etc... will very soon (it's happening in some areas already) be able to connect their customers to fibre broadband too. If you're a Sky customer , it's on their website I believe?

nheather

Distinguished Member
One 'feature' I've noticed recently, is that if a line is 'managed' by Sky as part of their Sky Voice and Broadband Network (SVBN) then it doesn't show up on any checkers.

Even Sky online services fail to detect it.

For example, I currently have Sky Unlimited Broadband on SVBN and I used the Sky online checker to see if I could upgrade to Fibre. The result is the Sky application declared that there was no line into my property and therefore, to get Fibre I would have to get a line installed and then pay Sky for line rental. Quite odd given that I am currently a Sky Broardband and Talk customer.

I think the pronlem must be that when SVBN takes the line over it disappears of the RADAR so that all the applications (even Sky ones) fail to find them, presumably because they have been written to look for BT managed lines.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Shared

Doesn't Talk Talk top the OFCOM list for most complaints? :eek:

I think they do, but i've been with them for something approaching 12 years (Tiscali), only ever had 2 faults, and both were dealt with pretty quickly.

As someone mentioned you'll hear glowing and disparaging reports about most ISP's/telecos

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
As someone already mentioned, TT are fine if you use their own (online) forum for support.
I have found BT support best when using their forums also - got my ADSL (BRAS) profile changed quickly after a BT forum mod escalated the issue for me. .

mh123

Been with TT for 4 or 5 years now on their 'free' broadband arrangement - £24 per month for line rental, anytime UK calls, 100 minutes of pan-European anytime calls, 100 minutes of UK mobile calls and 40GB cap broadband with average speeds around 3.5-4Meg. In all that time had one prolonged broadband outage of about 6 hours and one faulty phone line box which was replaced within 4 hours of placing a fault report via their online form. So no complaints from me on customer service.

Just about to dump them though for a local fibre firm who have rolled out a 20Meg uncontended WiMax based product to my rural area. Been running some trials over the last couple of weeks and am very happy with the performance so it's bye bye TT. No fibre coming this way for the foreseeable future.

y2k

I done a house transfer with them in October when I moved house, gave them plenty of notice and had it arranged to be setup when I moved in, waited near 2 months on their engineers turning us on, good luck you might need it. They gave me a mobile friendly number to ring and my GF's bill came to £75 when its normally about £30 so be warned.

D

Deleted member 498601

mh123 said:
No fibre coming this way for the foreseeable future.

Where do you live? I'm putting this stuff in all over the place, so may have a better idea of when you could expect fibre.

bobflunkit

Moved house about two years ago but only to the house next door(from ground floor flat) and bt said there was no line to that address, this is where we know they were wrong. We knew the former tenants that confirmed to us they had a bt phone line and sky tv which you need a phone line for. And also the wife use to work for bt for 17 years. There is a number that you dial that lets you know what the phone number used to be at that address. And also as we used to live next door for 18 Years, I saw the bt engineer connect the house with a phone line.

But bt insisted that there was no line to that address, so we had to go with them and do the 12month contract to waive the line connection fee. There is no other way round that one.

Shocking!

Shared

I just had an interesting phone call from my daughter and wondered whether anyone else had experienced a weird problem like this..

She's with Sky for phone and internet, between 9:00 this morning and 13:00 this afternoon she's had in excess of 30 "returned" calls, all from different numbers (she started logging them after the 1st few) all from what claim to be just normal residential numbers returning her call, the problem is she hasn't made any calls, and Sky have confirmed to her that no calls have been made from her line to Sheffield which is where all of these people are ringing her from, she's asked a few what number they've dialled, and a few have given her number, but quite a few have given her number but with an extra digit on the end.

She's asked Sky to change her number but apparently there's a whole process that has to be gone through first so she''s less than impressed.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like that ?

D

Deleted member 498601

No, but tell her to register with TPS (telephone preference service) here;

TPS

It's free, and will stop unwanted calls from companies. I've always registered whenever I've moved, and I never get cold calls from companies. Just gotta find a way to stop the mother-in-law now!

Love your signature too shared4!!

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom