Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

BT netgem problems?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by rigman, May 20, 2004.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Hi I have the BT version of the netgem and have it hooked up to broadband using a Belkin usb to ethernet adaptor. I have a problem with it losing the connection. If I switched it off for a while then switch it back on and try to access the internet it starts to look for the default dial up connection. I have to pull out the adaptor then reinsert it for the box to find the ethernet connection.
    I also have a problem with it crashing. It will hang and the picture will then lose colour. The only way to cure it is to power it down. I have the latest sofware. Does anyone else have similar problems?

thanks
    Darren

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I recently added the Belkin adapter to the non-BT Netgem, Darren, and yes, it's just the same.

Until the last couple of upgrades, I found crashing to be a frequent problem - though I haven't experienced the loss of colour, except for when I try to record via timer or use the video recorder that is plugged into the second SCART socket. Are you viewing via s-video, by any chance? I ask, as that is the problem that I have with the aforementioned uses: the Netgem switches to composite output (hence, in my case, the black and white image).

Going off-topic, I have said in the past that I don't consider the box to be 'finished', only to witness defensive statements. After a year of waiting for upgrades and fixes, I still haven't seen anything to change my mind. I have found it to be a great little box, but the flaws - in what are basic functions e.g. timer record - are unforgiveable. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Back on topic :devil: , I hope that my more relevant text at least tells you that it isn't just your box that's at fault. Until those fixes then... :lease:

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Thanks for that Andy I have just got it connected via Scart. I also have sky+, an xbox, DVD player, gamecube all battling for the RGB socket so I cannot put it in there.
    I bought it specifically to use the internet without having to boot up the computer. I was going to see how it performed and then buy one for each of my kids to use the net in their bedrooms. I dod not think I will bother now. I am not too bothered about the TV side of it due to having Sky. I am very impressed with the picture quality though.

Darren

4. cs939

cs939
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rigman

You might want to head over to http://forum.netgem.com/
    as some users there are saying that if you do a factory reset then the problem goes away.

Hope this helps
    Cs939