1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT netgem problems?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by rigman, May 20, 2004.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi I have the BT version of the netgem and have it hooked up to broadband using a Belkin usb to ethernet adaptor. I have a problem with it losing the connection. If I switched it off for a while then switch it back on and try to access the internet it starts to look for the default dial up connection. I have to pull out the adaptor then reinsert it for the box to find the ethernet connection.
    I also have a problem with it crashing. It will hang and the picture will then lose colour. The only way to cure it is to power it down. I have the latest sofware. Does anyone else have similar problems?

thanks
    Darren

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I recently added the Belkin adapter to the non-BT Netgem, Darren, and yes, it's just the same.

Until the last couple of upgrades, I found crashing to be a frequent problem - though I haven't experienced the loss of colour, except for when I try to record via timer or use the video recorder that is plugged into the second SCART socket. Are you viewing via s-video, by any chance? I ask, as that is the problem that I have with the aforementioned uses: the Netgem switches to composite output (hence, in my case, the black and white image).

Going off-topic, I have said in the past that I don't consider the box to be 'finished', only to witness defensive statements. After a year of waiting for upgrades and fixes, I still haven't seen anything to change my mind. I have found it to be a great little box, but the flaws - in what are basic functions e.g. timer record - are unforgiveable. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Back on topic :devil: , I hope that my more relevant text at least tells you that it isn't just your box that's at fault. Until those fixes then... :lease:

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for that Andy I have just got it connected via Scart. I also have sky+, an xbox, DVD player, gamecube all battling for the RGB socket so I cannot put it in there.
    I bought it specifically to use the internet without having to boot up the computer. I was going to see how it performed and then buy one for each of my kids to use the net in their bedrooms. I dod not think I will bother now. I am not too bothered about the TV side of it due to having Sky. I am very impressed with the picture quality though.

Darren

4. cs939

cs939
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rigman

You might want to head over to http://forum.netgem.com/
    as some users there are saying that if you do a factory reset then the problem goes away.

Hope this helps
    Cs939