BT Mobile and 5G Sim only query.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I've been with BT Mobile on a pay monthly Sim only contract for the last 4 years and I've just in the last few days re-contracted for a further 12 months via an email link they sent me.
I was on unlimited mins/texts and 6GB Data at £10 per month but as I am also a BT Broadband customer they double your mobile data so my data allowance was effectively 12GB.
The new plan offer is the same mins and texts but they've doubled the data allowance to 24GB to try and keep me as a customer, I'm happy with the service and reception in my area and places I travel to in my work.
At the moment I have an iPhone XS Max and am thinking of upgrading to the new 12 Pro Max once the Apple shops reopen and I can see the new colour iPhones and handle them in the flesh.

My new BT Mobile plan is called “BT Mobile Single SIM 5G Plan”
Since the new iPhone 12 is 5G obviously I'll need to request a new SIM card as my existing one is 3G/4G only.
I realise 5G isn’t available at my home location at the moment and I'm happy with the 4G service but large towns and cities I visit have 5G so I'd like to make use of it with the new iPhone when I eventually get it.
My question is, since September, BT no longer have 5G plans for new customers, I think they put new customers that want 5G onto an EE plan since they own EE and their own BT Mobile network runs on it.
So as an existing BT Mobile customer are they likely to send me an EE 5G SIM or do they have BT Mobile branded 5G SIMs?
Has anyone been down that route?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
To answer my own query.
I phoned BT yesterday and apparently my SIM card is 5G enabled, also kudos to them, I have a Family SIM on my account (my wife's) she was paying £13 per month for unlimited mins, texts and 6GB data (doubled to 12GB as I also have BT Halo fibre).
I asked BT when her contract was due for renewal and was told it's due now and without anything further from me the person I was speaking to said she's now reduced that to £7 per month with the same allowances...result.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom