BT Mini Home WiFi and TP Link router

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Hi. I recently purchased a VR400 router modem. I want to but the above mesh system to extend WiFi signal around the house. Because you plug one of them straight in the router via Ethernet do you have to disable the WiFi on the router? I don’t want to disable the WiFi on the router but run both all under the same SSID. Is this possible?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
You should not need to disable the routers Wi-Fi, but you may find the roaming hand off between the router and the AP's is not as graceful as it is between the AP's. The router won't be included in the automation of the mesh system for things like client steering and radio channel assignment (if the mesh system offers such features - not all do.)

It's possible the mesh system might "complain" about the presence of an "alien" AP advertising it's SSID, but it wouldn't surprise me if cheap SOHO systems didn't have such detection functionality in the first place.

Either way, it'll do no damage to try.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
You should not need to disable the routers Wi-Fi, but you may find the roaming hand off between the router and the AP's is not as graceful as it is between the AP's. The router won't be included in the automation of the mesh system for things like client steering and radio channel assignment (if the mesh system offers such features - not all do.)

It's possible the mesh system might "complain" about the presence of an "alien" AP advertising it's SSID, but it wouldn't surprise me if cheap SOHO systems didn't have such detection functionality in the first place.

Either way, it'll do no damage to try.
Thanks for the reply. Got a good deal locally for another bt 1200 WiFi extender instead so bought that instead. I have one already so at least I know it will work ok.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom