bt line speeds.

sonnyy

Established Member
Reaction score
i was thinking of changing to bt to get bt vision .
they say i couldn't get it as my line will only get 1.5mbs max.
just ran speed check

where do bt get their speeds from?

When you first installed BT Broadband a Number was registered called your Maximum Stable Rate (MSR). That is the number that BT should be using to decide whether or not your line can support BT Vision. If your line run slowly during the Ten Day Stabilisation Period then you could have low MSR. It can be reset and so you need to discuss this with BT.

Alternatively the muppets that BT seem to employ these days may be getting their number from somewhere else, for example BT Broadband which they shouldn't but may be doing. Once again you need to call them and ask.

In either case do not expect an intellectual giant who knows anything about BT's products however.

BTW the most accurate indication of your speeds is www.speedtester.bt.com

thanks for that.
i am not with bt yet.
i will only change from tiscali if i can get bt vision,but they say
i can't.i have told them the speeds i am getting with tiscali but they just
qoute 1.5 at me all the time.

thanks for that.
i am not with bt yet.
i will only change from tiscali if i can get bt vision,but they say
i can't.i have told them the speeds i am getting with tiscali but they just
qoute 1.5 at me all the time.
If speedtester works for you, you are running on a remarketed BT service. In other words what you get from BT will be the same as what you get from Tiscali. So when you call them ask where they are getting their number from. Your hand will be strengthened if you find that the other test I suggested shows 1.5 because that is only an estimate and is generally pessimistic. Finally don't expect them to know or understand any of the above so be firm but gentle with them.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom