BT Infinity with powerline / homeplugs

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by Valen, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Valen

Valen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Hi all

Got Infinity installed on Friday and it was awesome for 24 hours. Then it randomly dropped speed to 4mbs (it was 39mbs). It also was not letting me access my router menu about 90% of the time even though I was connected. (Saying page not found)

I moved my Netgear 200mbs homeplug to the socket at the other side of the room and it was doing the same thing.

I then moved the homeplug to my 8 gang surge protector and the speed jumped to 26 - 36 mbs! Also, I could now access the router menu any time!

Also, something called 'Andys-I-Phone' keeps connecting to my ethernet / physical list!! I tried deleting, but it comes back randomly.

I don't recognise the MAC or IP.

Any ideas experts?

Many thanks

Val

2. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    No idea how Andy got on your network, however to get rid of him. Go into the BT Home Hub settings (192.168.1.254, Settings, Advanced Settings, Wireless) and change the SSID (something bland like MyNetwork). Then set encryption to WPA2 with a nice long random key (that you do not disclose.)

From your description, I can't figure out how you are using the HomePlugs. i.e. what is connected to what?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  3. Valen

Valen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Hi Beerhunter

Well, the last straw last night was when I saw mikes-laptop appearing on my ethernet list!! (As well as Andy)

I mentioned this to the wife and she pointed out the neighbours across the street were called Andy (son) and Mike (father)!!

So, it would seem that the router is showing 'ethernet connections' when it must be wireless. I reckon this is a BT FON issue, so I logged on to my account and opted out of BT FON. (Also deleted Alan and Mike again)

I will check back tonight to see if they are gone for good.

Oh, my homepugs are normal ethernet Netgear powerlines laid out below...

Router >Main Homeplug 1 > Homeplug 2 to PC > Homeplug 3 to 1gb switcher running > PS3 / TV / Bluray / Sky > Homeplug 4 to XBox.

4. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    1. If this continues and you are on good terms, you may want to point out that this is happing as they may not be aware of it. You could also ask them what the SSID is of the Wireless Access Point that are connecting to. If you get any lip, you could also point at that what what they are doing is actually illegal!

2. That should only happen when a Wireless Access Point is connected to the BT HH via Ethernet. Are you sue that one of your HomePlugs does not have a Wireless Access Point built-in?

3. I can't see it being a FON issue.

5. Valen

Valen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    "That should only happen when a Wireless Access Point is connected to the BT HH via Ethernet. Are you sure that one of your HomePlugs does not have a Wireless Access Point built-in?"

These are the Netgears I use...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-XAV101-100UKS-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00193R3OI

The only other wireless broadcasts come from the router.

I changed router admin password on day 1 and changed the name of my SSID after seeing my neighbours on my line. After changing my SSID, they continued to connect again.

I am not too bad with computers and build my own, but this is a head scratcher! I will try to get a screen grab tonight and email it to you.

On a side note, I am able to change their name on the network also.

6. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    None of that will help even if they are connecting via WiFi, you need to change the WPA2 key.

Even though HomePlug should not leak past your meter than would be my next thought. Using the Power Packet Utility, change the Network Name to something other than HomePlug.

I have just spotted that the Netgear adapters have: "Automatic push button security works
    with all platforms, does not require CD". Have you tried that?

7. Herbiefish

Herbiefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    Have you tried not broadcasting your id?

8. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Not good practice. It adds nothing to security if WPA2 encryption is used and can be a PITA.

9. Herbiefish

Herbiefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    I use it along with the wpa2 key and mac filtering. There are programmes that can hack the wpa2 code but if the person cant see the ssid then surely this is beneficial. I know the ssid can be seen if someone knows what they are doing but by hiding it as well as using wpa and mac filtering then you are just making it harder for someone to get in surely. Why is not good practice? Maybe I should be broadcasting it but I cant see why I should, but Im always willing to accept change for the right reasons, so if you could kindly explain I'd be grateful :thumbsup:

10. Valen

Valen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I have indeed changed my wireless key on day 1.

As for power leakage, I have thought about this and spoke to a friend at BT about it. It's not impossible, but unlikely.

I will try the one puch security option and Power Packet Utility.

After that, If they appear on my network again, I will remove the homplugs from the equation and see how that pans out.

If they disappear, then I will investage the powerline leakage.

11. Valen

Valen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
  12. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    We have always relied on the HomePlug signal not getting past the meter. I think that should it be able to do so (modern digital meters?), it is perfectly possible for your neighbours' HomePlugs (if they are close enough and on the same phase( to connect to your LAN. (I don't think that the Continental example of phase jumping is applicable to the UK, because the poster is talking about three-phase devices in the home providing the bridge.)

If I was you I'd get that Network Name changed and the security enabled ASAP and then look again.

13. buckle247

buckle247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If they are showing on your ethernet list, changing SSIDs the WPA password will make no difference at all, as that is wireless and not ethernet.

Most likely they are using homeplugs as well, and somehow showing probably connecting to your router automatically - although not sure how an iphone would be doing that. But it may not be an iphone, he could have just named his laptop that for whatever reason.

14. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Anyone with the ability to crack WPA2, will not find a non-broadcast SSID or MAC filtering any barrier at all and so, at best they are a waste of time.

Some devices rely on a broadcast SSID to connect automatically to a WiFi Network. I once went to customer who had "had someone from work help out". What the person from work did was stop the SSID broadcast and not tell anyone. That added half an hour to the bill.

As to MAC filtering, just too easy to spoof with a LAA to be worth the effort of using it.

I'm not saying that you should not do it, it's your network. I'm just saying that professionally, I do not recommend it and do not personally implement it.

15. Herbiefish

Herbiefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    Thanks for the reply and sorry to the op for hijacking your thread.

16. Valen

Valen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Hey Beerhunter, thanks for all your help so far and I think you may be right.

I logged onto my PS3 tonight and under the media server menu, mikes-laptop has appeared! (with my PC) So I have the choice to browse either his or mine!

That pretty much confirms it I think?

17. Valen

Valen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Lol no problem buddy, it's all extra knowledge!

18. Valen

Valen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Right, just got my 4 Powerlines encrypeted with my own key and all traces of Apple / foxcpn devices have disappeared. mikes-laptop has also left my PS3 media center!

It would seem my lines are secure for now. How and why this just started when I got Infinity installed I will never know!

Thanks again Beerhunter! If your ever in Belfast give me a shout and we can hunt beers! ;-)

19. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    I think that we have all learned something form this thread. Based on the evidence presented here, we CANNOT rely on a HomePlug signal being blocked by a meter any more.

The philosophy of having a default Network Name (HomePlug) so that HomePlugs interoperate out of the box is a good one but I now reckon that it should be changed and/or encryption implemented at the first opportunity, especially in built-up areas.

As to Belfast, unfortunately I tend to go to the Republic these days but just in case I'm over in the future, it will need to be in the Crown.

20. Valen

Valen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Yeah homeplugs should have an initial setup process for security, even it it means 'plug and play' has to be dropped.

See you in the Crown sometime mate!

Thanks again

21. Valen

Valen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    One last thing I forgot to mention that since I got the homeplugs locked down, I am now able to plug my PC Powerline back into the main socket and get full speed again. (like on day 1 before Andys-I-Phone appeared)