BT Infinity - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waser said:
Thanks so much for your help. I switched to 5ghz and look at this!

http://www.speedtest.net

That result is over wifi.

I already bought an Airport express yesterday thinking it would do the trick.

That's better.
You should be able to extend with the Express but I don't know the Express as I've only used the TC and Extreme which are basically the same unit with dual bandwidth.

I had to find the sweet point at my friends so she could get the best results but I was impressed how easy it all worked and the end result achieved.
The 5Ghz is handy but has a shorter distance than the 2.4Ghz.
I placed her Extreme close enough to her TC so that the signal strength was good but I also had to insure that where she uses her MBP was good too so I tried it in several places till I found the best place for it.
It made a huge difference as she was only getting about 12 DL with a very patchy connection in her room, so much so FaceTime was impossible.

Last edited:
the bt website says i can get it now bet its bs tho like last time they said i could get it
Girl on the web chat said i can get it now 100 percent
If i get my mac code and she has ****ed me over when the next day it will say sorry come back next year

going to leave it a few days and keep checking to be sure :D

Can someone explain to me what pings are and how do they effect the connection

Is the home hub as bad as people make it out to be?

Can someone explain to me what pings are and how do they effect the connection

This measurement tells how long it takes a "packet" of data to travel from your computer to a server on the Internet and back. Whenever you experience delayed responses in Internet applications - this would be due to a higher than desired ping. Similar to packet loss, lower is better when it comes to ping. A result below 100 ms should be expected from any decent broadband connection.

Pingtest.net - Learn More

There are a number of factors that can cause high "ping" (latency, rtt). To name a few, heavy internet traffic at the time, congested/overloaded routers on the way to the target machine, low quality/inadequate bandwidth are the most common causes.

SG FAQ :: What affecs pings / latency / rtt ?

I know Pingtest stated a result less than 100ms should be expected from any decent broadband connection, but for majority of us who game online the lower the beter. Anything less than 30ms is great.

Thanks for that so how do i get my pings to lowest as possible

Bloodzeed said:
Is the home hub as bad as people make it out to be?

It's not that bad, lots of people use them without any problems.

Well torrent speeds are affected by a lot of different things. Seeders, number of seeders, seeder:leecher ratio, quality of the seeders, upload of the said seeders. Too many factors to have it as a reliable speed test to compare against other mediums ;)

That person is me and I not confused,that's just a snapshot of me downloading for newsgroup trying to proof that it not throttled.
Considering your latter screenshot declared that "newsgroups are better". I'd say you were trying to compare the speeds you from torrents vs newsgroups. And as I explained above it's hardly a fair test between the two.

Thanks for that so how do i get my pings to lowest as possible
You don't. It's not something you can really control. The only time I could actively change my ping was when I was with BeThere, I could enable FastPath on my line and my ping would be super low. I'm not sure FastPath is even available for fibre products.

The only time I could actively change my ping was when I was with BeThere, I could enable FastPath on my line and my ping would be super low. I'm not sure FastPath is even available for fibre products.
Its not something thats controllable on fibre. Its all automated.

touc2001 said:
Got my hh3 through the post today activation is thursday, got a call the other day saying i cant get infinity until the bt take control of my line, they said they will contact me on friday to get it sorted is this right or are they fobbing me off . Ive switched from sky bb and line rental if this makes a difference

Sounds similar to what's happening to me, also switching from Sky.

Activation was due yesterday, had a call last week to say it was delayed and would be reviewed this week. So no broadband at all for me now until they sort it out, I've been promised a call with an update on Friday.

The phone got switched back from Sky to BT yesterday as planned, great no broadband but my phone us ok :laugh:

I just switched from sky to bt today placed my order today and was told i should have everything done in 2weeks

2 weeks ? thought with a mac code it would be up to 4 days?

Don't think you need a MAC to switch from Sky. I didn't.

Two weeks sounds right though.

No engineers free the earliest date i was given was 17th may

If you give them a mac code you shouldn't lose any service
With your current provider until they come and install it?

I hope i don't because my sister has exams and she is revising for them

Bt engineer left 30 mins ago, pretty pleased with the result so far:

l9md98Bv.png

This was obtained having switched out the Home Hub for my Billion 7800n, mainly because I didn't want to have redo all my port mappings etc.

Initial speed when the guy tested it was ~30mbps which I was pretty disappointed with, but seems to have been increasing ever since.:thumbsup:

Well torrent speeds are affected by a lot of different things. Seeders, number of seeders, seeder:leecher ratio, quality of the seeders, upload of the said seeders. Too many factors to have it as a reliable speed test to compare against other mediums ;).

I understand all of that :),that is why I tried downloading Ubuntu from torrents as it has a massive number of seeders. I tried resuming my Ubuntu download after midnight and the speeds were still at a lousy 200Kb/s. :(

I read that paying for a VPN tunnel can bypass throttling, but to be fair I don't want to pay for another service to get speeds which I should be getting between midnight to 4pm anyway.

Don't know what the fuss with torrents is
Downloaded an american show last night and hit 2.4mbps (which I have capped) straight away
That was around 7pm

The argument of torrents vs newsgroup is not only a pointless argument but one we don't really need to be having in this thread, it's possible to max out your download on both so can we leave that one there and focus more on Infinity rather than torrents vs newsgroups, cheers.

Just a heads up guys, I found on my Home Hub3 last night BT FON had been enabled by default.

When the HH3 was installed I checked the settings & BT FON had the options to enable etc, so left it disabled, now BT have enabled it without my permission & there is no option to disable anymore. To disable you have to visit their web site to opt out which takes 48 hrs apparently.

I have no interest in BT hotspots or BT FON & feel this is disgusting they enable this without telling you. Way to many users out there will never check the settings of their router & will have FON turned without their knowledge. So when someone outside their home uses their connection to download something illegal who will get the blame, surely the person who owns the connection it was donwloaded from.

This is out of order & I cant really see how this can be legal (ya know a bit like the banks adding PPI charges without customers consent & then having to pay them back as their actions were illegal).

This needs stopping & BT need to change their policy only switching FON on when a user requests the service. I wonder just how many people out there do not realise the service they pay for is open to others to use courtesy of your own equipment.

Just a heads up guys, I found on my Home Hub3 last night BT FON had been enabled by default.

When the HH3 was installed I checked the settings & BT FON had the options to enable etc, so left it disabled, now BT have enabled it without my permission & there is no option to disable anymore. To disable you have to visit their web site to opt out which takes 48 hrs apparently.

I have no interest in BT hotspots or BT FON & feel this is disgusting they enable this without telling you. Way to many users out there will never check the settings of their router & will have FON turned without their knowledge. So when someone outside their home uses their connection to download something illegal who will get the blame, surely the person who owns the connection it was donwloaded from.

This is out of order & I cant really see how this can be legal (ya know a bit like the banks adding PPI charges without customers consent & then having to pay them back as their actions were illegal).

This needs stopping & BT need to change their policy only switching FON on when a user requests the service. I wonder just how many people out there do not realise the service they pay for is open to others to use courtesy of your own equipment.
Oh calm down. It's a bloody setting that got switched off. In the time it took you to write/type that post you could have turned it off. Honestly :facepalm:

Oh calm down. It's a bloody setting that got switched off. In the time it took you to write/type that post you could have turned it off. Honestly :facepalm:

Erm I dont think so....

Read my message and you may learn why a user cannot turn it off themsleves.

Erm I dont think so....

Read my message and you may learn why a user cannot turn it off themsleves.

If it really annoys you that much ring up and tell them too turn it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom