BT infinity installed but needs to be a wired connection to my youview box to watch BT Sports

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by AllieGee, Feb 23, 2014.

1. AllieGee

AllieGee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've recently got BT infinity installed and have the youview box and BT sports.
    However the main BT point is in the hall and the tv is in the living room- separated by 3 door frames and solid wood floors! I also have a non-wifi computer in the office again separated by lots of doors and also one in an upstairs room!
    The engineer just suggested the power line adaptors- which will probably be ok for the computers but BT sports wont run on them- it has to be hard wired to the router.
    So I was thinking of running a cable from the BT hub to the office and the living room around the outside of the house.
    My question is essentially do can I just use 3 wires connected into the back of the BT hub (it has 4 Ethernet ports) to go to the 3 different rooms- or is it better to run them in series with switches/connectors in each room? Also can the wires just have jacks ether end or is it better to have wall plate plug things?!
    Ta!
    Ps i have seen a similar thread to this but it is quite old and doesn't 100% answer my questions.
    Ta!

2. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    From the point of view of the YouView box, a Powerline connection is exactly the same as wired ethernet. The reason BT say they don't support Powerline adapters for this connection is that the streaming multicast HD they use for BT Sports requires a better performance connection than can be guaranteed in all possible Powerline installations (the performance of which depends upon your mains wiring, distance apart, noise from other mains devices etc.)

There are a lot of people using Powerline units for BT Sports - so for the £25 outlay on a pair of 500 Mbps units I'd suggest it's worth a try. You can always use them for the PC connection if it doesn't work for BT Sports.

Yes, you could use just run a wire from the BT HHub to each room. if you have more than one device that want's a wired connection in the room then you can increase the fan-out by adding a switch in the room.

Obviously a proper installation with wall plates for the ethernet sockets is much neater, but there's no technical reason to do it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. AllieGee

AllieGee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I have a netgear universal wifi range extender which has a wired connection- when I tried to use this for BT sports it wouldn't work. For the youview catchup bit yes, but the live sports channel no. Presumably these are different to the powerline adaptors then?! Any recommendations as to which adaptor and from where please?
    Thanks again

4. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Yes, the Netgear unit is using your WiFi to connect, even less reliable than Powerline units. You could try something like these TP-Link units.

5. AllieGee

AllieGee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll give them a try!