• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BT Infinity home hub with Open Reach modem attached

Osplank

Novice Member
Hi Again, hope someone can give me some help with info about the above hub. According to the instructions given to me when the hub was installed, the hub has automatic dual band smart wireless with 2.4G and 5G which will connect to the best signal on either band. There is no switching choice available ( as there are on some bt models) so my question is..if I use a camera that is designed to operate 2.4G , will the hub be OK to use..will it know to operate on that frequency or is it dependant on my local area incoming signal, or is it the camera that generates a 2.4G signal when it is powered up? Just hoping someone on the forum can explain it to me..... Thanks once more.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Short version: Almost all wi-fi kit is backwards and forwards compatible. The main exception is 802.11a devices which aren't always supported. However, they only operated at 5Ghz, so your camera supports at least one other standard such as 802.11b, 802.11g or 802.11n and will work fine.

Osplank

Novice Member
Thanks Endless waves... I think I understand now....I take it that if I buy a 2.4G camera it will operate at one of the latter three that you mention (11b, 11g or 11n) so my modem should be able to sort it out OK
Many Thanks....

Osplank

Novice Member
Hi All.. in the last few days I have managed to sort out my modem designation with the help of the BT website. I now know that three mobiles and three other appliances are using 2Ghz, but my IPad is using 5ghz. Is this because the pad is maybe an 802.11a device? I only have one SSID number covering both frequencies which suggests that the modem decides which frequency is needed...any help with this would be appreciated

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Is this because the pad is maybe an 802.11a device?

No, 802.11a had been long superseded by the time the first iPad was released. 802.11n and 802.11ac can both support 5Ghz in addition to 2.4Ghz so it'll be using one of those standards depending on it's version.

suggests that the modem decides which frequency is needed...

I don't know the technical details but it'll be a negotiation between the device and hub if the user hasn't set anything specifically. The marketing blurb is likely referring to some feature that previous versions of the hub didn't have they helps the negotiations.

Osplank

Novice Member
Thanks again EndlessWaves...you've been a great help with my questions...reckon I have it about sorted now, I have enough info to confidently choose my camera and ask the right questions from the supplier. I appreciate your time and help...☺

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom