BT infinity and ping times

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Such, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Have had bt infinity since march and recently my son has been complaining that his gaming upstairs is impossible as the speed is dropping and the ping times is very erratic and long.

This seems to be occurring when netflix and amazon is being watched downstairs.
    This was not an issue when with TalkTalk, although we had Sky TV then, which I recently cancelled.

BT don't seem to understand the issue and changed the router today, but my son is still having a fit about not being able to play his games. His PC is connected via ethernet/homeplug

He suggested changing the router to one which allows bandwidth allocation.
    Has anyone else had this issue and how was it solved?

I'm minded to cancel my contract - not sure if this is a good enough reason though

thanks

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,971
    For gaming, it's all about the ping. You need very little speed, but a good ping is vital.

How is your network setup?

3. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    Get rid of the HomePlugs and test direct connected to the router and see if the problem goes away.

It is the nature of any network link that there is competition for bandwidth unless you design it out, so one would expect it to get worse when other things (Netflix et al) are active. A router that offers traffic shaping (bandwidth management) might help, but don't forget there's plenty of variability up stream of your ISP link in the Internet.

4. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,052
    what kind of ping is he getting? I agree about trying direct and compare. I don't think my ping is anything special (BT) but never had any issues. It will depend what online servers he is on etc too.
    here's my result (ethernet) not quite as good as normal don't think.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6534752326.png

5. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    it would be near on impossible to get rid of the homeplugs as the router is far away and I'll need a very long ethernet cable!
    Would wireless be any better?

6. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    he is getting 56mb/s download, 10 upload, but the ping varies between 10-64ms

7. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    The speed drops down to around 4-10 mb/s and the ping is up and down when stuff is on downstairs

8. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,052
    it sounds about normal to me it's never going to be perfect, at best ive seen ping at around 12 and just tried on laptop wireless and is 32ping. as greg said above speed not important as long as is decent even the lower 4-10Mb is fine.
    more likely to be dodgy worldwide servers where ping can get into the 100's and be unplayable, Otherwise id say the connection is pretty normal and not to worry to be honest.

9. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    The purpose is to test without HomePlugs and thereby determine whether they are culpable (either in whole or in part.) It could be that you don't have an issue with your ISP link at all, thus a new traffic shaping router wouldn't make a difference. At the moment, there isn't sufficient evidence to determine where the problem lies.

Could be better, could be worse. Wi-Fi is fickle and could be fine one day and rubbish the next. It's "just like that" I'm afraid.

Presently, ethernet is the only robust and fast LAN technology available if you want deterministic network performance. If you cannot deploy ethernet, then one has to accept that the alternatives can be less good.

10. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,654
    Ping can depend on the server you're pinging, as well as a bunch of other factors (ie: the further away it is, the higher your ping will be)

If you want to check the homeplugs, ping the homehub from your son's computer (192.168.0.1 or whatever) using command prompt. You'll probably see 1ms ping, it'll unlikely be the cause.

You said you're getting 56 down 10 up which I'm assuming is your full advertised speed so that's not really an issue either

You can use WinMTR to show the hops (and ping between each hop) to a website/server to see if that helps

Like you said though, this mostly seems to occur when others are using the internet. Check the homehub for QoS settings or something along those lines to see if you can dedicate a certain percentage of your bandwidth to your son's computer. Otherwise I'd recommend a 3rd party router (Asus do some good ones), dead simple to set up too with BT Infinity