• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BT Homehub Problem??

Superdude999

Standard Member
I have a bt homehub and every now and again, when I am surfing the internet, it shows the "Page cannot be displayed" screen. Then I will hit refresh and it will load the website up as if nothing ever happened. Its not a majour issue but I really do want to resolve it.

Im guessing it is a problem with the homehub because it happens to all the computers in the house...

Does anyone else have this problem??
How can I fix it??

Thanks

y2k

I have started having this problem with my orange livebox in the last few weeks, dont know what the problem is but it only started happening after I got a letter from orange saying they were doing some update and my router would knock itself of for a few minutes while the update gets done.

Another reason could be that the homehub and orange livebox are not very good wireless routers and the signal could be dropping out.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
It's nothing to do with the HH being a 'not very good wireless router' because: 1) they aren't 'not very good wireless routers' and 2) that is not a wireless failure.

That is almost certainly a DNS failure. (I won't go into huge technical explanation of what that is.) As I have no idea how your DNS is setup hers is a tip to fix all problems. As a test go to the TCP/IP settings of one of your PCs and change the DNS servers to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. If that fixes the problem, change it on all devices. (There are other ways of fixing this but this will work.)

y2k

It's nothing to do with the HH being a 'not very good wireless router' because: 1) they aren't 'not very good wireless routers' and 2) that is not a wireless failure
The homehub is a rubbish router, I have had 2 of them and they both lost connection frequently.

EDIT:- I forgot to add it looses connection when the home hub searches for updates so I doubt if it has anything to do with DNS, have a look to see if you can turn autoupdate of or change the time it searches at.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
The homehub is a rubbish router, I have had 2 of them and they both lost connection frequently.

No it isn't. I have installed dozens of HHs and they are all working well. BT have somewhere near a quater of a million of them out there driving BT Vision alone, and if the HH really was a problem BT would be out of business - and they ain't.

Odd that you have a problem with a livebox too - and the common denominator is?

If you doubt that is has anything to do with DNS I look forward to your solution to the OP's problem - rather than speculation.

y2k

No it isn't. I have installed dozens of HHs and they are all working well. BT have somewhere near a quater of a million of them out there driving BT Vision alone, and if the HH really was a problem BT would be out of business - and they ain't.
I know you work for bt, I have seen enough of your posts trying to stick up for them, if you need to look at how bad the home hub is all you need to do is search this forum. http://www.avforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=14412958, even better search google over 1 million results for disconnection problems with the "HH"
Odd that you have a problem with a livebox too - and the common denominator is?
Only started having problems with the livebox in the last month after getting a letter explaining about them doing updates, no problems before then.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
I would rather try to answer questions here but I find you post offensive and so:

You don't 'know' that I work for BT. You are speculating that I work for BT.

If you had read a few more posts you will have seen that I am an independent networking consultant who does not and has never worked for BT. Additionally I have been in the IT business for many years and therefore tend to base my approach to problems on evidence rather than speculation. I will stick up for any ISP who, in my opinion is maligned unfairly. If you read my posts objectively rather than trying to justify your point you would see the many where I have criticised BT - especially in terms of their legendary crap support.

Will you admit that your statement: "I know that you work for BT" is wrong both logically and in fact.

However following your point about the Home Hub being rubbish in spite of evidence to the contrary, I just googled "BT Home Hub disconnections" and got 84,000 hits. A lot but hardly a million and obviously many of those 84,000 would be duplicates, plus many would not be referring to bugs or problems at all.

As to this forum, ask yourself how good that is when you yourself have posted on it saying that what is probably a DNS failure is a Home Hub problem with no evidence that is whatsoever. What are your qualifications and evidence for making such a statement? How may more of the posts slagging off the Home Hub are as well founded as yours?

y2k

Will you admit that your statement: "I know that you work for BT" is wrong both logically and in fact.?
Well you talk like you are a BT employee in any of the posts that I have read, if your not then yes I was wrong and apologise.

However following your point about the Home Hub being rubbish in spite of evidence to the contrary, I just googled "BT Home Hub disconnections" and got 84,000 hits. A lot but hardly a million and obviously many of those 84,000 would be duplicates, plus many would not be referring to bugs or problems at all.
Try 1.4 million http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=home+hub+disconnection&meta=

As to this forum, ask yourself how good that is when you yourself have posted on it saying that what is probably a DNS failure is a Home Hub problem with no evidence that is whatsoever. What are your qualifications and evidence for making such a statement? How may more of the posts slagging off the Home Hub are as well founded as yours?
I had a couple of different homehubs for a short time and had regular disconnections and looking up the internet I found that it disconnected because of the home hub searching for firmware updates almost every day, I found out later when unbranding one of the home hubs that the search for updates can be turned of and the disconnections are supposed to stop but I dont use a home hub anymore.

The fact is if he was connecting with another router to the internet then the chances are that he wouldnt have any disconnection problems like he has with the homehub.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
The fact is if he was connecting with another router to the internet then the chances are that he wouldnt have any disconnection problems like he has with the homehub.
You're appology is accepted however ...

Once again that is not a 'fact', you are speculating - an unkind person would say guessing - based on no evidence whatsoever and ignoring my evidence that none of my customers with Home Hubs have this problem. (In other words if there is a bug on one there is a bug on all.)

SeanT

Distinguished Member
I am a BT employee, so you may want to take what I have to say with a pinch of salt, but an insignificant number of my customers have a problem that can be traced back to the home hub, and if you take out the ones where changing the wireless channel or a powercyle (to fix permanantly, not regularly) were the solution it's virtually none.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Just to reinforce how deceptive raw numbers can be I just answered four questions in another thread - all were 'problems' with the Home Hub. Two were 'How to', One was definitely the PC not the HH and the last one indeterminate. (Even this post will increment the 'statistics' that prove how bad the HH is I guess.)

dan536

Novice Member

Except by page 10 (and possibly before), the discussions don't even appear to be anything to do with BT Homehub disconnections. But nice try. :)

For example:

Install TV SPIDER with a digital cable box, satellite receiver, home theater, ... Now disconnect the cable which goes to the TV using the Video Hub from the ...

Anyway - I also wanted to say that I'm experiencing random disconnects from game servers (BF2), which have only been happening recently, over the last couple of weeks or so. This happens at the same time as my Skype connection dropping, so I'm assuming it's nothing to do with the game server and more to do with my connection. Oh...and I have a homehub.

Personally, I'm more fed up with the BTVision box randomly resetting and taking 10 mins to sort itself, while losing all my settings. Although, it has got rid of the voicemail light which was getting irritating.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
I have not found disconnections to be a problem with the Home Hub. In fact due to it's slightly lower sync speed (compared to some other routers) it seems to be quite stable.

Is your Home hub connected via the Master Socket and have you eliminated your internal telephone wiring as a source of problems? Is your line noisy?.

BT Vision boxes don't like losing their connection so it may all be connected [sic]. Check that your BT Vision box is on the latest level of firmware 1.2.14077.505

dan536

Novice Member
I have not found disconnections to be a problem with the Home Hub. In fact due to it's slightly lower sync speed (compared to some other routers) it seems to be quite stable.

Is your Home hub connected via the Master Socket and have you eliminated your internal telephone wiring as a source of problems? Is your line noisy?.

BT Vision boxes don't like losing their connection so it may all be connected [sic]. Check that your BT Vision box is on the latest level of firmware 1.2.14077.505

Thanks for the response. To be perfectly honest, the connection issues could be any number of things. I'm renting the house and the wiring leaves a lot to be desired - including the fact that I'm also using one of those mains 'socket to socket' connections to send the broadband upstairs.

As far as the homehub goes - all I can find is the software version at 6.2.6E. Where would I find the firmware version stated?

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
I meant the BT Vision Box firmware. (Your HH is at latest level, for most people but will update within the next month to 6.2.2.h). Off the top of my head: BT Vision button, settings, general settings.

Next time you get a disconnection go to 192.168.1.254 and report back what you find.

BTW, from your description, I have no idea how you have everything connected.

D

dolphin69

I'm looking for help.
I've just replaced BT voyager with BTHomeHub.
It works fine with a desktop directly connected & with laptops via wireless.
I cannot get a desktop downstairs to connect (which used to)
The wireless key is correctly completed & the device. manager says the BT yoyager 1010 is working correctly.
Is this an encryption problem or something else?
Thanks for any help.:lease:

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Could be. The BT Home Hub version 2.0 comes with WPA as default. There is a chance that the 1010 does not support it.

You can either reset the HH to WEP or (Better because WPA is MUCH better.) update the drivers to see if that fixes it.

Or you could buy a new adapter. BTW don't get USB this time. PCI or PC Card are more efficient. (And you don't need to use BT branded kit either.,

Drivers are here : BT.com | BT Voyager ADSL

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom