BT HomeHub 2B File Sharing via Homeplugs

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by thecritter99, Jan 5, 2012.

1. thecritter99

thecritter99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Following the recent addition of a new laptop to our family computer collection, I've become increasingly frustrated with having files on computer A for example, that cannot be accessed through computer B. We have a BT Home Hub (2B) which I have plugged my 2TB NTFS USB HDD into and successfully mapped it through Windows on all the computers concerned. File access is fine and it is already becoming easier, but the transfer speeds (read and write) are dire to say the least. We are on a wireless network at the moment (Wireless N on the hub, but G adapters on some of the devices), but would installing homeplug adapters improve transfer speeds across the network? (I have Full HD camcorder movies on the hard drive!) I don't want to invest in a NAS drive just yet if this will solve my problem!

Thanks!

2. SUMMONER

SUMMONER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Connect one of your computers directly to the Homehub with a network cable. The speed you see then should be the same as you will get via a Homeplug.

Notice that the limited processing power/ram of the HomeHub mean it will likely never reach speeds close to an entry level £150 NAS box.

3. thecritter99

thecritter99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a great idea...never thought of that! Will give it a try tomorrow with my laptop.

4. TheBlueBrazil

TheBlueBrazil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    I gave up trying to do anything with a HDD plugged into the BT HH. Really slow.

I doubt homeplugs will make any difference as i tried it plugged directly into the hub from my desktop pc at 100 Mb pn my HH 2 and 1 Gb on my HH 3.

depending in how big the files are I would suggest installing dropbox on all the devices.

5. thecritter99

thecritter99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm...yeah I'm not feeling too optimistic. Will let you know what speeds I get. Dropbox was my first idea as it is so good at keeping files in sync and stored locally on each machine automatically. The problem is that I have over 500gb of stored data (which will cost a fortune for a dropbox subscription to handle that) and also the fact that it will take ages to upload (and download) my HD movie files. If anyone knows of a similar sort of method which auto syncs and saves files locally over a network, that would be brilliant. I think we are edging towards a NAS drive at this rate...

6. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Windows Live Mesh.

I use it to synch small documents between laptops and the server (and also the cloud, for a remote backup). If the laptop is at home, Live Mesh knows to just use the local network, but if I'm using a remote wifi connection, it will use the internet to synchronise with my server at home.

Windows Live Essentials: Other Programs - Get started

I forget exactly what files I have set up to synchronise, but I did notice last night that I had my server Video folder synchronising with my girlfriend's laptop Video folder. It was working fine, but I disabled it as she doesn't want every DVD on her laptop (I've just recently started ripping them onto the server).

7. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
  8. thecritter99

thecritter99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A very good idea thanks...

That's the ideal sort of kit I would be looking for...it's whether the large files can be processed quick enough and sent round the network (which device would do the processing if these were hooked up? Router, hub or 'print' server?)

I read on Belkin's site for that device, that only one device can access a plugged in device at once (so if two or more PCs are wanting to access files, then they can't.) It also seems that on reviews, it is criticised for only having 1.2MB/s output at best, which is not ideal for movies etc.

----

I would prefer not to buy a NAS drive (or a NAS drive minus any internal storage and plug my hard drive into that). Does something exist like this?

Added information: I have had another look and I have found these two products, which accept external hard drives via USB:

http://www.dabs.com/products/d-link-sharecenter-solo-1-bay-nas-network-storage-enclosure-4SRD.html

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Cisco-Network-Storage-Drives/dp/tech-data/B0002ZDQLI/ref=de_a_smtd

Will these work well with the HomeHub and will I be able to share the high def content over the network. What speeds would I expect to get from devices like this?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  9. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Amazon.com: Cisco-Linksys Storage Link for USB 2.0 Disk Drives NSLU2: Electronics
    Don't think the Linksys-Cisco item is in the picture check the price !!!!!
    While the D-Link looks good at the price it only supports SATA Revision 1 which means all drives available today would be wasted in it. Most drives available today are Revision 2 with even Revision 3 drives being available.
    Serial ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    For slightly more money -
    Zyxel NSA-221 2-Bay NAS Appliance (91-016-021003B) - dabs.com
    Or this one
    Zyxel 500GB (1 x 500GB) NSA310 1-Bay Network Attached Storage (91-016-007011B) - dabs.com

10. thecritter99

thecritter99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - they both look like good options. I wouldn't really want an extra HDD in the NAS drive, so I would prefer to go for the first one and use my external HDD plugged in via USB. What would be speeds like if I plugged this into my HH? Suitable for high def file sharing?

Thanks