bt homehub 1.5 constant disconnection issues

Ishnian

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've had my homehub for over a year now and suddenly over the past week I've been experiancing a complete loss of Internet. The Internet and data lights etc go out completly and then within 10 seconds I'm back on.

This seems to happen once every few hours when I don't use it much to it cutting out every 5-15 minutes when I'm gaming online.

I've been in touch with bt and they say they sent an engineer to the exchange and they claim they fixed it. Well errr no. Now they want to send one to my house which will mean a day off work, but I'm just wondering if it's the hub that's broke. If so bt says I'll haveto buy a new one but if that is the case I'll change to sky as it's cheaper.

I've done the usual tests, plugged it into the master socket and also replaced the filters.

Anyone got any ideas?

Clutching at straws but have added ANYTHING to your telephone installation?
SKY Boxes,
New Phones,
That do not have a filter connected.
Be careful jumping ship as you may end up with the same issues with another ISP.
Also try disconnecting the internal wiring from the master socket then plug in your HUB and see if it still happens.
I had a major fault a couple of years ago and after BT tested everything they sent an engineer around and whilst he was testing with his laptop he asked if he could plug the laptop into the mains as the batteries were low. Up shot was his readings went wild and it was a faulty mains socket causing noise, changed it and all was well.

It could be anything even something electrical switching on/off in your house.

not added anything or changed any sockets etc for ages.

See if you can borrow a spare router from a friend and see if that fixes it. Loads of people have them cupboards.) Or better still, find a friend with BT Broadband and see if you can 'move the fault' by using your HH on his/her service.

managed to find out my old 2wire router and hooked it up, still getting the disconnects:( Whatever it is tho only started a few weeks ago out of the blue, nothing was changed etc.

Then I am afraid that you will have to call BT Support [sic] and go through the diagnostics with them as is sounds like you may have a line or DSLAM (the kit at the exchange) fault.

You are going to need some patience as BT, in line with other ISPs, are reluctant to call Openreach out as it costs them money. They may well send you another HH to try, just go along with them but stay on their case! If the problem is not fixed in about ten days then write to the Chairman of BT, Sir Michael Rake. (I have posted the address here many times.)

well a little update. I hooked the hub into the test socket and it seems to be stable. So I'm guessing it's some fault in the house

well a little update. I hooked the hub into the test socket and it seems to be stable. So I'm guessing it's some fault in the house

Check the wires connected to the faceplate and ensure that ONLY the following are connected: Blue & White to 2 and White & Blue to 5.

In addition some other devices on your wiring could be causing the disconnects (Sky Boxes are notorious) and so disconnect all of them. If that fixes the problem, connect them slowly (over a period of days) one by one until the fault reappears. When that happens it will be the devoice or its microfilter that will be the culprit.

This seems to be the best place to post my question rather than start another thread.

I've had constant connection problems since the beginning of June. One total outage for about a week in June, intermittent problems for the whole of August and now the service has just been re-instated after 22 days unable to make a connection.

I've had five visits from Openreach engineers and spent hours on the phone to the call centres. Every day the fault has been alegedly 'fixed'. On one occasion I foolishly allowed the help desk to talk me through changes to my software that resulted in my computer failing to boot. I had to re-install Windows and all my software.

I have three BT hubs and none of them worked from home, but all worked at my sister-in-law's place nearby. I also have several filters and cables that can be changed before contacting BT.

I now regard BT as in breach of contract and want to cancel my contract - which ends in April next year - without penalty. I have just noticed that BT have changed the terms and conditions to exclude any reference to providing a 'service comparable to that of other reputable suppliers' (or some such words). Now they can only offer compensation for days lost.

My question is this. has anyone had experience of cancelling a cointract without penalty due to similar circumstances - not providing a service for long periods? has anyone tried to use the Small Claims Court to get compensation?

As you have found when it comes to fixing problems BT are pretty hopeless. It's partly die to the muppets that they employ at their Call Centre. I have found that talking to the first line Agents is a complete waste of time as they do not have a clue. The more 'senior' ones seem to be selected on their knowledge of the jargon which they throw about incorrectly.

I am surprised that you have been so patient with them and I have no doubt that BT have failed to provide an adequate service under the Supply of Goods and services Act. However, you may have a Line Fault and should you move to another ISP you may still be in the same boat. None of them like to call out Openreach because it costs them money.

Try a letter to Sir Michael Rake, Chairman, British Telecommunications plc, 81 Newgate Street London, EC1A 7AJ. Point out all of your frustration with the Call Centre and the damage that they have done due to their incompetence. I have found that such letter always gets a result and perhaps it might help BT understand what damage the Indians are doing to BT's reputatioin.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom