BT Home Hub wireless name problem

Zippy77777

Hi

I have changed the network name of my computer but the name that appears on the home hub is still the old one, why is that?

Can anyone explain?........:D

hornydragon

y name do you the SSID? THat is set in the router settings on the router itsself, not sure if you change the SSID on a home hub (should be able to but never tried)

Zippy77777

The BT Home Hub is still the same as it has always been. Its just when you go into its diags, it tell you what machines its picking up. It tell me the code of the wifi printer, shows the wii and ps3 connected and the name of the pc. Its showing the old name of the pc even though I have changed it to a new one. Its still the old one on the router.

Any ideas........:smashin:

Iccz

Probably a silly question...

but have you restarted your computer since renaming it?

mattclarkie

Novice Member
It is an issue with the homehub, I have the names of computers which have been powered down for over a year showing as online. The hub just doesn't update properly.

If you go to the devices section of the advanced menu you can edit the name that displays in the homehub, but I have a feeling that it won't change outside of the devices menu in the hub.

beerhunter

Novice Member
It's probably remembering that name as the one associated with the MAC address for the PC's network adapter.

Just a quick guess but I suggest that you disconnect the PC that has been renamed, connect to the Hub Manager with another PC, go into the Devices section, delete the entry for the PC with the incorrect name. (I'd be inclined to reboot the HH at this point if that is possible.) Now reconnect the PC with the new name. The Hub Hub should pick up the MAC address and then look for a name for the device on the device itself rather then in the HH's table.

I'd be interested to hear if this fixes it.

mattclarkie

Novice Member
Rebooting a HH doesn't reset the device list, and you can't delete devices, but you can rename them.

The HH has some serious issues, brilliant access point, but the software inside has lots of bugs that do things like the OP has posted about.

Zippy77777

Rebooting a HH doesn't reset the device list, and you can't delete devices, but you can rename them.

The HH has some serious issues, brilliant access point, but the software inside has lots of bugs that do things like the OP has posted about.

Done it manually and all seems well, thx guys........:smashin:

beerhunter

Novice Member

As I have deleted devices many times in the past from Home Hubs' Device Lists, don't see how you can be correct there.

Second what 'serious issues'?

Third what the OP has ain't a bug - its a 'feecha'.

mattclarkie

Novice Member
Well it must be in one of the newer FW, as when I tried to do it last the delete option didn't exist.

If the option has been added I stand corrected, but I know that the earlier FW didn't have the option.

You are correct that the option has now been added.

Well one of the Feecha's of a FW before christmas was that using WPA would cause the HH to reboot several times a day, to be fair they did fix the issue and skipped a FW version, but that is a major bug.

I have also heard that because the Mainboards in the HH have many revisions they have to produce many different FW variants one for each revision, so only certain revisions have certain issues.

beerhunter

Novice Member
Well one of the Feecha's of a FW before christmas was that using WPA would cause the HH to reboot several times a day, to be fair they did fix the issue and skipped a FW version, but that is a major bug.

That's a bug all right - a fault in the code. A feecha is something that doesn't work that way the the User wants it to.

I haven't heard about any board version problems though.

Finally I don't remember not being able to delete devices but I only go back to 6.1.1.M.

mattclarkie

Novice Member
Don't even get me started on the Hub phones. I have 3, 1 doesn't work, 1 turns itself off when you are using it, and 1 actually works most of the time.

Zippy77777

Anyone know why the BT home hub reboots on its own for no apparent reason?

Also anyone have any idea why I have to repair my connection to it every time i reboot, thats even more frustrating? Laptop picks it up says its connected but isnt, After a reboot its fine, everytime......:eek: and why does the bubble bottom right keep coming up telling me im connected every 5 minutes.......... I KNOWWWWWWWW!!!!:devil:

:DThankie anybody.......:smashin:

beerhunter

Novice Member
Two reasons for rebooting a lot

Failed firmware update(s).

I heard (anecdotally) that a version of the firmware could do this if you are using WPA encryption and have some other parameter set as well. Can't remember which parameter or version however.

Check your version by going to 192.168.1.254 an looking at the very bottom left. The current version is 6.2.2.r moving to 6.2.2.h this month.

Zippy77777

Anyone know why the BT home hub reboots on its own for no apparent reason?

Also anyone have any idea why I have to repair my connection to it every time i reboot, thats even more frustrating? Laptop picks it up says its connected but isnt, After a reboot its fine, everytime......:eek: and why does the bubble bottom right keep coming up telling me im connected every 5 minutes.......... I KNOWWWWWWWW!!!!:devil:

:DThankie anybody.......:smashin:

I meant after a repair its fine.........:D

Zippy77777

Two reasons for rebooting a lot

Failed firmware update(s).

I heard (anecdotally) that a version of the firmware could do this if you are using WPA encryption and have some other parameter set as well. Can't remember which parameter or version however.

Check your version by going to 192.168.1.254 an looking at the very bottom left. The current version is 6.2.2.r moving to 6.2.2.h this month.

Mine has been installed a week now and is still running 6.2.6.c which is odd.

Its just rebooted again which is also strange but still the same firmware everytime.

Yes I am using a wpa2 encryption which i hope is all set up correctly :D........Any suggestions?

..........:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom