BT Home Hub speed problems

Reaction score
Hi Guys, i hope you can help

I've just upgraded to the BT Home hub from a BT Voyager 2091 which i was very happy with.

However, since pluging in my homehub, i've noticed that downloads from certain ftp sites are really slow compared to when i'm connected up to my 2091.

Is their any settings that anyone knows of that would restrict the download speeds on this homehub.

I have emailed BT but they said that my broadband line has to 'settle down' first which can take up to 21 days (only activated my dsl line at my new house on 1st august) but this does not explain why using my old router, the download rate is far faster.

I have a 8 mb line which averages around 5mb and for comparison's downloading through my old router i get around 130kbps download, where as through the homehub, using the exact same software with the exact same settings, i'm only gettings around 15-20kbps.

i have disabled the firewall and ip filtering on the homehub but this has made no difference, i have no firewall running on the pc (disabled for testing) and only have the bare network setup, dhcp tcpip, qos packet schedule, file and print and ms networking client.

Also, through Vista 5472 no matter what i do i get the 15-20kbps download on either router....

hope this is in the correct forum, Help :lease:

thanks for replying. the 13kbps is on 1 thread, i run 2 simultaneous threads averaging 300-400kbps across the 2 threads.

The main webpage download from http sites and ftp sites normally is around 400-500kbps depending on how busy the internet is and what time of day etc plus where the files/pages are coming from.

The problem i am having is with 1 particular server runnng ftp on port 21021. This is a server hosted by my work and i need to pull down files in excess of 1gb regularly for my work. As you can imagine, these pulling down at around 15kbps is gonna take ages.

Please can someone give me some kind of advice on this homehub. I have read on other forums that alot of people are experiencing problems with speed issues using this new hub.

I have to say i'm not experiencing any speed issues at all; far from it the hub has been very reliable.

I'll check it out tonight.

What you need to remember is that you have gone from (what sounds like) a Fixed rate 1mb connection to a MAx Rate connection.

The connection speed (around 5mb) is no indication of download speed, if you have a fault on your line, which is affecting your adsl.

The settling down period is 10 days from installation.

Tr putting your old router back on teh line..see what happens...but check in advanced settings-status-broadband line...and see what is happeing...also check LATENCY...is it set to FAST or INTERLEAVED...if its on interleaved, this measn that teh line has a fault on it (talking broadband side, not PSTN) and teh router and excnage are trying to compensate for the fault.

What you need to do...is connect your router to teh first socket in teh premises with no extensions connected...and try it liek that...easily done as its a wireless router.

I'm a BT Openreach ADSL engineer, so...if you have any questions...ask away...if you really want..I can og into my system and actually check what your line is doing.

hi there all,
im having the same problem, i let the 10 days go over by a good week and it still hasnt settled down.
i rang bt and they said after almost 2 hrs that i have a fualt on the broadband line, so someone would ring back 3 to 5 days time.
i was on 2mb and since upgrading to 8mb ( which my line is only capable of 6.5mb) the best connection i have had so far is 2.7mb, it is normally inbetween 512kb to 2mb which is far worse than i was on before.
hope someone can help too as bt seem not very interested.
o and sorry for hijacin ur thread.
steve.

p.s. im a total novice at this aswell so please excuse my ignorance.

Skeet said:
.check in advanced settings-status-broadband line...and see what is happeing...also check LATENCY...is it set to FAST or INTERLEAVED...if its on interleaved, this measn that teh line has a fault on it (talking broadband side, not PSTN) and teh router and excnage are trying to compensate for the fault.

What you need to do...is connect your router to teh first socket in teh premises with no extensions connected...and try it liek that...easily done as its a wireless router.

I'm a BT Openreach ADSL Engineer, so...if you have any questions...ask away...if you really want..I can og into my system and actually check what your line is doing.

:D

Can you describe exactly, your telephony setup..regarding sockets etc...where the main line comes in and so on...maybe I can help.
You need to, check teh line status before hand so you can see any improvements...and also...actual speed improvements will take 2 or 3 days, to become apparent as the system looks for stability of service before it allows greater bandwidth.

hi there
i am tring to set up an ftp server apache eg. The problem i am having is that the hub wont allow me to open any ports even threough it says it has....have tried other servers like but cannot get into www only on local help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:hiya: :hiya:

well. we got the home hub. and our line is only 2.5m. but with our old router we could get between 110 to about 160kb/sec (before the home hub)

when we put the home hub in we had speeds around 60kb/sec. we've had the odd day where we could download at about 160/170kb/sec. i think we are on the op3 with the unlimited downloads.

:eek:

EDIT: also just downloading a file from rapidshare :55kb/sec, just loged on to router and it says

Broadband connection details:
Downstream 2,080 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

Hi had very similar problems when I had a line fault, ended up switching to
BT broad Band to get the problem resolved. it is difficult to get other ISP to report or
resolve line faults

1 line speed would default to lowest stable connection speed which was 100kb
2 once fault cleared it does take a time to gain max speed as I have been
informed it's dynamic and resamples line speed every 24hrs.

However after many frustrating weeks I do believe the fault was solved,
many phone calls to that Indian call centre with a number of you have to
go through the same procedures until you get a supervisor to take charge of
your fault.

I then discovered I would get really poor connection speeds around 8pm, using
the BT HUB would not remain stable and would eventually give up and no connection until next day (lots of other forums elsewhere report similar detials).
BT sent me a new BT HUB did not make any difference.

I ended up using my old Netgear DG834g works a treat not dropping connections.
BT closed the fault even though I can't use their equipment, and had to use
my original DSL router. that says it all really !!

It may be worth trying your old equipment or getting hold of a netgear adsl
router to see it things improve...

PS used Netgear and found their kit to out perform others and more robust,
when I had the original line fault the netgear would at least connect at 100kb
when both BT HUB and the top model Belkin adsl would not even connect....

I'm a BT Openreach ADSL engineer, so...if you have any questions...ask away...if you really want..I can log into my system and actually check what your line is doing.

So can I, but only with his express permission to do so - I'm not saying anyone will report you for using CSS, but it's not a toy my friend, most common reasons for no longer working for BT are H&S breaches or abuse of IT systems.

Hi all,

Sorry to but in, but i've just had BT total broadband installed a few days ago and it is really slow at times e.g just updated the BT broadband help and the file downloaded at 15kbs!:thumbsdow

How long should I give the line to settle down?

Hi all,

Sorry to but in, but i've just had BT total broadband installed a few days ago and it is really slow at times e.g just updated the BT broadband help and the file downloaded at 15kbs!:thumbsdow

How long should I give the line to settle down?

10 days is the time BT says it takes to get an average then settle down.

Don't use the time it takes to update something like that, use www.speedtest.net to see what sort of download speeds you are actually getting - with a file like that help file the server the other end can be extremely busy and be more of a bottleneck than your connection....

Cheers Stackers & SeanT I'll give it a while and see how it goes!

SeanT just used that speed test site you recommended and it advised that I'm getting around 1900kbs download speed and aprox 380kbs upload!!

I have had so many problems with BT and there equipment that I just gave up with them in the end and went with Be broadband 24meg unlimited service. I had 5 of those "Home Hubs" and every one of them developed a fault of some kind, if its not there equipment its a problem with them capping the download speed (which they still say they dont do:laugh:)

What made you go for BT?

You need to try and get hold of the BT Business Hub, not the BT Home Hub

Its much better, made by 2wire as opposed to the home hub which is made by Thomson.

SeanT - most common reasons for no longer working for BT -- Its all the early release schemes :)

SeanT - most common reasons for no longer working for BT -- Its all the early release schemes :)

I meant involuntarily, but :rotfl: :thumbsup:

The Business hub used to be quite hard to come by, but I saw one in CEX for 30 quid the other day, not sure they even knew what it was!

I have had so many problems with BT and there equipment that I just gave up with them in the end and went with Be broadband 24meg unlimited service. I had 5 of those "Home Hubs" and every one of them developed a fault of some kind, if its not there equipment its a problem with them capping the download speed (which they still say they dont do:laugh:)

What made you go for BT?
Didnt have any particular reason for going with BT but thought there customer service may be better, although I have yet to put this to the test!

Also I've heard bad reports about pretty much all broadband suppliers, so just plumped for BT.

It's a grass is always greener situation unless you are lucky enough to live close enough to benefit from current ADSL2 speeds.

So can I, but only with his express permission to do so - I'm not saying anyone will report you for using CSS, but it's not a toy my friend, most common reasons for no longer working for BT are H&S breaches or abuse of IT systems.

I know that my friend, probably shouldn't have mentioned it to be honest.
Besides, I wouldn't use CSS...I would use the system that was recently removed, then quickly got given back when they realised how stupid they were!:lesson:

Thanks for the "heads-up" though mate.:thumbsup:

I would use the system that was recently removed, then quickly got given back when they realised how stupid they were!:lesson:

:rotfl:

P.S. I heard that a fairly new chap got sacked a little while ago for messing with the system, he did apparently give himself a payrise to level 1 though.....

:rotfl:

P.S. I heard that a fairly new chap got sacked a little while ago for messing with the system, he did apparently give himself a payrise to level 1 though.....

Crikey! Well, he asked for it I guess...:clap:

I noticed that i dont seem to get full download speaks most of the day
only on weekend mornings
i checked on my hub settings and it says "INTERLEAVED"
what can i do to sort this?

i checked on my hub settings and it says "INTERLEAVED"
what can i do to sort this?

Post a new thread?

Seriously, interleaving is the least of your worries unless you are gaming, it just lengthens your ping times but allows the error correction to work better.....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom