BT Home Hub replacement

Nirach

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been sifting through google for the last hour and a half looking for a way to replace the home hub with something less awful.

However, looking at it, there doesn't appear to be a password for the user account, which is problem number 1.

I occasionally use wireless, so either a wireless access point or modem/router with wireless as a secondary to a good ethernet, preferably gigabit, would be a good move.

Problem number 2 is, I can't seem to find anyone who has done this, at least, several pages of google seems to be people trying to use the home hub with other ISPs, which bewildered me.

Is there anyone here who can offer me some sage-like advice (Aside from stop using BT, I already know I'm a muppet)?

Hello - I too am with BT and cannot wait until May when I can leave them, but I stopped using their home hub soon after I got it.

I use a Belkin modem / router and it has been a lot better than the BT hub rubbish. It is a N1 Wireless Modem / Router.

Hi Ive been using a BT Hub for almost a year now and can't really understand why people seem to hate them so much. Touch wood but Ive had no probs with mine at all either ethernet or wireless using it with many devices and online gaming (ps3 and 360) Wireless range is also much better than my previous Rangemax Netgear. The actual Phone that you get with it is pants.

Do a lot of people have problems with the BT Hub or am I missing out on some type of functionality by using it?

i havent had many problems with it apart from having to reset it sometimes but most people have to do that and touch wood it hasnt done for about 2 months now - all being said i think ill move to BE when contract comes up for renewal

f looking for a way to replace the home hub with something less awful.

What's the matter with it? I install Broadband all the time and have only ever met one broken Home Hub and that was DOA.

If you use a a different router/modem I suggest you use [email protected] because it is a good as any. You should leave the password field blank as it is not needed for BT.

Having said that I reiterate that the Home Hub seems to work fine for the vast majority of BT's customers so why fix it if it ain't broke - which it probably isn't.

That's the thing.

With the PS3 connected over wireless, it constantly drops the connection, which is most irritating in anything remotely online. Only resolution is to restart the PS3 and then the home hub, which knocks everything else off the net too.

The 360 cannot connect without DHCP on, but the HH assigns the same IP address to everything when DHCP is on (I'm on my fourth HH, same issue with them all). Over the wireless it tells me that every time I use my MacBook Pro that it's a different machine, I wasn't aware that sleep mode changes Mac addresses and computer names.

With the test server for something a few friends and I are doing, although it's on the DMZ, cannot connect to half the ports we need.

Oh, and even with port forwarding enabled it will not allow uTorrent to connect properly.

I've had a combination of all these issues (Though with the first one, the DMZ actually worked) over all the home hubs, and well, in my opinion that makes the home hub awful for me.

Yes it may work with a huge number of other customers of BT, but for me the home hubs performance is consistently poor.

Oh dear, dont get me started on the home hub...

We used to have Freeserve / Wanadoo / Orange, and all was spiffy. i Bought a Rangemax 802.11n Netgear router, and it was great!

Then... We changed to BT (my dad works for them, so they decided to give it free)... home hub came, setup, all working no worries. Until the day after, i lost internet. So restarted the hub, working again. Next day same... Now i download quite alot of stuff.... it seems any time im downloading, my net dies and have to restart the hub.

New problem then occured... Started to play CS:Source, refresh server list... gets a few servers, then bye bye... this time the router restarted itself...

Maybe i have a faulty hub.. but im not alone with some of these problems.

Rather than phone the "UK" call center thats geographically placed in India with very intelligent script readers, I have now chosen to abandon the Fusion fone (VoIP fone, that was crap quality anyway) and the homehub, and have gone back to my trusty Netgear. Jobs a good en :thumbsup:

-Jon

Oh dear, dont get me started on the home hub...

We used to have Freeserve / Wanadoo / Orange, and all was spiffy. i Bought a Rangemax 802.11n Netgear router, and it was great!

Then... We changed to BT (my dad works for them, so they decided to give it free)... home hub came, setup, all working no worries. Until the day after, i lost internet. So restarted the hub, working again. Next day same... Now i download quite alot of stuff.... it seems any time im downloading, my net dies and have to restart the hub.

New problem then occured... Started to play CS:Source, refresh server list... gets a few servers, then bye bye... this time the router restarted itself...

Maybe i have a faulty hub.. but im not alone with some of these problems.

Rather than phone the "UK" call center thats geographically placed in India with very intelligent script readers, I have now chosen to abandon the Fusion fone (VoIP fone, that was crap quality anyway) and the homehub, and have gone back to my trusty Netgear. Jobs a good en :thumbsup:

-Jon

What sort of settings did you use for your account? Same as suggested above, or bthomehubuser@blahblahblah?

Nice to know that you can leave the HH out of the equation at least

That's the thing.

With the PS3 connected over wireless, it constantly drops the connection, which is most irritating in anything remotely online. Only resolution is to restart the PS3 and then the home hub, which knocks everything else off the net too.

The 360 cannot connect without DHCP on, but the HH assigns the same IP address to everything when DHCP is on (I'm on my fourth HH, same issue with them all). Over the wireless it tells me that every time I use my MacBook Pro that it's a different machine, I wasn't aware that sleep mode changes Mac addresses and computer names.

With the test server for something a few friends and I are doing, although it's on the DMZ, cannot connect to half the ports we need.

Oh, and even with port forwarding enabled it will not allow uTorrent to connect properly.

I've had a combination of all these issues (Though with the first one, the DMZ actually worked) over all the home hubs, and well, in my opinion that makes the home hub awful for me.

Yes it may work with a huge number of other customers of BT, but for me the home hubs performance is consistently poor.
First of all the wireless. I suggest that you look for something interfering with the signal: Floors, walls, AV senders, neighbours' networks.

Next DHCP. You have had four Home Hubs with the same DHCP problem. I have installed dozens (or more) Home Hubs and have never had that problem. I'd look at those statistics then look at your setup.

As to the other stuff, some routers including the Home Hub can have buffer overun problems when stressed with some torrent use. The usual fix is to buy an industrial grade router so be prepared for big bucks.

BTW don't you believe my answer about the User Name/Password?

That's the thing.

My PS3 is a hell of a distance from the HH and streams fine, never lost connection which I always used to with my Netgear. One tip that could help is that if you go into the HH advanced settings and look at connected devices you can tell the HH what type of device it is but more importantly it gives you the tick box option to always use the same IP address. I stumbled across this in my first week as Vista seemed to keep changing the IP addresses resulting in lost connection. Ever since changing this its been 100% fine.

Also make sure the HH has the latest software upgrade. Ive just checked mine its been connected for 10 days (that was the last s/w upgrade) and shows version 6.2.6E my connection speed also seems to be better since the last upgrade :thumbsup:

First of all the wireless. I suggest that you look for something interfering with the signal: Floors, walls, AV senders, neighbours' networks.

Next DHCP. You have had four Home Hubs with the same DHCP problem. I have installed dozens (or more) Home Hubs and have never had that problem. I'd look at those statistics then look at your setup.

As to the other stuff, some routers including the Home Hub can have buffer overun problems when stressed with some torrent use. The usual fix is to buy an industrial grade router so be prepared for big bucks.

BTW don't you believe my answer about the User Name/Password?

Sorry, missed your response regarding username/password.

There are no other wifi networks around me, unless I go to the far end of the garden and lean over the hedge. The PS3 is about six feet from the HH. I use channel 13 for the wireless.

I got around the DHCP thing by manually assigning IP addresses, but that's a pain in the arse with PSPs and friends laptops. Normally on the network are between two and three pc's, depending on whether my mother uses her laptop at all, and one of two consoles.

I can't check the statistics at the moment, I'm at work, but I know for a fact that 90% of the readouts on the HH are wrong for me, I think it's an issue with the date, but whenever I set the date to be right (Not so fussed about the time) it crashes the home hub, which resets the date.

As for the torrent use, it's not often that I'll be downloading more than 600-700mb CD images for Linux distros, but it takes forever because it can't seem to connect to more than two peers, but when downloading the same distros at my uncles house, Plusnet user 1mb connection, I see, depending on the distro, a good 80-100 peers connecting.

The PS3 is about six feet from the HH. I use channel 13 for the wireless.

The wireless symptom that you describe is a classic one that one gets when the EM spectrum is swamped by something like an AV sender or other device that puts out EM radiation. (It may be a neighbour's coming through the wall.)

I just can't figure out what has happened to your DHCP but let me assure you you are the first that I have come across with that problem - and on multiple hubs too. There is a common denominator there.

I don't know what read outs are wrong for you or what you mean so I can't comment except to ask you why you are fiddling with the time setting on the Home Hub? What's wrong with picking it up from a Time Server?

Another vote against the home hub. I have a few devices using it (PC, laptop, PS3, NAS, media player), generally no more than two at the same time but it's not that reliable. I generally have to pull the plug out once a week as the bloody thing has crashed.

It does work okay with the PS3, but not always (occasionally dropping connection etc). Same deal with the laptop - sometimes it just doesn't give out an IP address and I need to restart the hub before it will give the laptop an address.

I used to use a cheapy 3COM hub - it occasionally crashed but never had the connection problems the hub has - but swapped it out when I moved to BT. Managed to pick up a new home hub cheaply on ebay to see if it was any better but so far Ive had similar issues.

Im sticking with the hub for the moment as I like the second line and extra phone number (handset is basic, but servicable). If it wasn't for that, the hme hub would have gone in the bin a while ago and something better would be in its place.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of it - I probably use it more heavily than the average user.

The wireless symptom that you describe is a classic one that one gets when the EM spectrum is swamped by something like an AV sender or other device that puts out EM radiation. (It may be a neighbour's coming through the wall.)

I just can't figure out what has happened to your DHCP but let me assure you you are the first that I have come across with that problem - and on multiple hubs too. There is a common denominator there.

I don't know what read outs are wrong for you or what you mean so I can't comment except to ask you why you are fiddling with the time setting on the Home Hub? What's wrong with picking it up from a Time Server?

I'm not surprised about the DHCP being unusual - I've not been able to find anything about since switching to this service, granted I gave up looking after a few months, but a cursory glance through google today doesn't seem to throw anything new up. What gets me is, it's never worked, not even from day one. Since day one I've had several hardware changes (I think this is the third motherboard, it's the third 360, first Ps3, fourth or fith laptop, all of which have been replaced (bar the 360's) and taken out working) Everything I have electrically is attached to a surge protector, except the 360, so I know it's nothing on that front either.

As a side note, just looked at the Home Network page, and laughed at this:

net_t_d_r.gif
ethport1
(100Mbps)
net_l_r.gif
XconMain
net_t_r.gif
ethport2
(100Mbps)
net_l_r.gif
Xcon-MBP
ethport 1 is the 360, which is called plzdontdie
ethport 2 is XconMain (IE: main rig)

As for the PS3, there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it canning the wireless on a regular basis. I'll probably hardwire it when I have the spare cash to redo my network (Sadly low on the list)

As for the time server - It's never connected to any time server I've asked it to, not even the default, which confused and annoyed me, but since it's rare that I trust a time server for anything else, I went to try and set it manually (It's not January 1st 19something-or-other :B) which is where the crashing issue came to light.

Some technical sites on the Home Hub:

Site 1
Site 2

Please don't go playing unless you understand what you are doing.

I've got a HH and have had no major problems with the actual device. It's a good piece of kit and has quite a bit of functionality.

Regarding your torrent problem. Have you opened up the necessary ports? the Help file with mutorrent has a link to a site that explains how to do it for a variety of routers. Throughput increase massively once I'd opened up the ports uses by mutorrent.

I can't understand your DHCP problem. Have you tried resetting the HH to factory defaults and starting again? Are you using the default DHCP scopes or have you created your own? Have you tried fixing each MAC to a specific IP address?

Regards,

Kris.

Another vote against the home hub. I have a few devices using it (PC, laptop, PS3, NAS, media player), generally no more than two at the same time but it's not that reliable. I generally have to pull the plug out once a week as the bloody thing has crashed.

It does work okay with the PS3, but not always (occasionally dropping connection etc). Same deal with the laptop - sometimes it just doesn't give out an IP address and I need to restart the hub before it will give the laptop an address.

I used to use a cheapy 3COM hub - it occasionally crashed but never had the connection problems the hub has - but swapped it out when I moved to BT. Managed to pick up a new home hub cheaply on ebay to see if it was any better but so far Ive had similar issues.

Im sticking with the hub for the moment as I like the second line and extra phone number (handset is basic, but servicable). If it wasn't for that, the hme hub would have gone in the bin a while ago and something better would be in its place.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of it - I probably use it more heavily than the average user.

Just because people vote for things doesn't make it right - remember Hitler was elected. You have had two Home Hubs with the same problem, I install them all the time without problems. If you intend to get something better, what would you suggest that I tell my customers is better and in what respects?

Some technical sites on the Home Hub:

Site 1
Site 2

Please don't go playing unless you understand what you are doing.

I've got a HH and have had no major problems with the actual device. It's a good piece of kit and has quite a bit of functionality.

Regarding your torrent problem. Have you opened up the necessary ports? the Help file with mutorrent has a link to a site that explains how to do it for a variety of routers. Throughput increase massively once I'd opened up the ports uses by mutorrent.

I can't understand your DHCP problem. Have you tried resetting the HH to factory defaults and starting again? Are you using the default DHCP scopes or have you created your own? Have you tried fixing each MAC to a specific IP address?

Regards,

Kris.

I know what I'm playing with, if I don't understand something I typically leave it alone.

Yes, the ports are open, I am 100% sure of that.

And yes, it has been reset to factory defaults.. I actually can't count the number of times. A good number of them were on the phone to BT.

If DHCP worked then yes, I would be using the standard settings. I used to use a 10.0.0.x range, but I lost interest in that as there was no particular gain over a standard 192.168.

I've actually read the Frequency cast site before now, admittedly before they added the info about the 1.5 version, but still being on the earlier version it's not really an issue.

As for the hardware, there's no way you can tell me this HH thing is as good as something like a Linksys.

I know what I'm playing with, if I don't understand something I typically leave it alone.

If DHCP worked then yes, I would be using the standard settings. I used to use a 10.0.0.x range, but I lost interest in that as there was no particular gain over a standard 192.168.

Just love it. You say you don't fiddle with stuff unless you know what you are doing and then you admit changing your LAN's IP addressing and then back again when it didn't do anything useful - which it wouldn't.

I have no idea if the Home Hub is better than a Linksys router because I don't come across Linksys kit much but I reiterate I have not come across a Home Hub in which DHCP doesn't work - let alone four in one customer.

Afternoon,

Yes, the ports are open, I am 100% sure of that.

Do you have a green tick in the centre of the bottom status bar in uTorrent?

There is a gain in using the 10.x.x.x (Class A) range over 192.168.x.x (Class C) but it depends if you really want that many hosts ;) Can you post a pic of the DHCP config page(s) on the HH? We might be able to spot something. Also, we'd need to know what subnet you want to use and the IP address of the router.

You links in Post #14 don't work.

I've actually read the Frequency cast site before now, admittedly before they added the info about the 1.5 version, but still being on the earlier version it's not really an issue.

I think there is some info on that site about using a different adsl modem/router with the BT broadband. Did it help you?

As for the hardware, there's no way you can tell me this HH thing is as good as something like a Linksys.

No as I've not used Linksys, but I can tell you it's just as good as the Netgear DG834PN and DG834 I've used previously ;)

Regards,

Kris.

Just because people vote for things doesn't make it right - remember Hitler was elected. You have had two Home Hubs with the same problem, I install them all the time without problems. If you intend to get something better, what would you suggest that I tell my customers is better and in what respects?

It installs fine but just doesn't seem to be that reliable. Couple of mates have them as well (mostly used for linking to the PS3 for online gaming) and they have to reboot them more often than they like as well. You seem pretty defensive of it, why?

As for your customers, I suppose it depends on what they want to do with it. Crashing routers at home is a pain but most people will not want to pay extra for another router as BT give it away free. I wouldn't install it in a small office though (unless you charge T&M for support and get called every week to reboot the thing :) )

You seem pretty defensive of it, why?

You are correct I am defending the BT Home Hub. I've installed dozens of them and apart from one DOA they are all working fine.

I have also installed many other brands of routers in SoHos and so far have not found the need for industrial grade versions anywhere.

If you want a built in PSTN base station and native VOIP capability the home hub really is the best product for the job by far (though I'm not too sure about the new V1.5 yet on wireless signal grounds, and teething problems on the first batches, but then I was deprived of my working laptop running netstumbler on the job that I had issues, so couldn't check for networks with hidden SSID affecting)
If you want a straight router that handles long lines and low SNRs better, then you need a Business Hub, a Voyager 2500, or a (non-sky) DG834 - or a better commercial grade product.
If you need proper router management to work with static IPs and your firebox / webserver / VPN interface then the business hub (made by 2wire) is a nice alternative to similar Zyxel products and is fully supported by BT, unlike some other products - ie. if you are having problems other than very long line length then you are better off with a BT product from a support PoV.....
We (BT) actually use the homehub all over the place to provide small scale access solutions to engineers on BT sites, it's rare to visit a BT site without a home hub up and running for engineers to access broadband (we don't have LANs everywhere or access to main trunks to tap straight in over IP, unfortunately :( )

If you intend to get something better, what would you suggest that I tell my customers is better and in what respects?

I'd suggest that the DG834 is better if they have a long line, but then with a proper working rate adaptive service (and not the BT Retail, "oh they have a long line lets put them on 500k" approach) then they can either get stable broadband or none at all, even if it is at 128k down (still cheaper than getting ISDN!)

I'd suggest that the DG834 is better if they have a long line,

I do agree with you about the DG834. The received wisdom is that they work better than the HH on long (and noisy) lines as does the Voyager 2500. (Of course in my opinion BT should sort out the noise lines but that is another story.) I have tested them on some medium lines and they appear to sync a few k better than the Home Hub on them as well.

I was really asking the expert to justify what was better than the Home Hub.

I was really asking the expert to justify what was better than the Home Hub.

Maybe the fact that my home hub (both of them I've had) crash more than I like is just an illusion.....

....or maybe you shouldn't take these things personally. It's not like you personally designed them!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom