BT Home Hub probems

thxultra73

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi got my new BT HOME HUB yesterday and its quality so far,will get to my problem in a minute,first i mention about the handsets.If you went for BT TOTAL BROADBAND option 3 like me then you will have to wait another month for the handset,mine didn't come with the HUB so i rang BT and was told there is a major pronlem with the handsets which are all being recalled and the re-distribution will be about a month,d'oh
Any way please help me with my problem im only an average PC user so please dont confuse me with jargon.
I have my hub located near my telephone line and its connected properly,i have an XBOX 360 connected by ethernet and it works perfectly 100% of the time,cant complain.I have my LAPTOP connected by a wireless connection and it works brilliant never cuts out or loses speed.Problem is when i shut down the LAPTOP and then say turn it on a few hours later it wont connect to the internet again,there is an icon on the taskbar which if you click shows available connections and it will show the BT HOME HUB wireless connection but my LAPTOP will not connect and its driving me mad,the only way i can keep using my LAPTOP on the internet wireless is to keep re-installing the BT HOME HUB software every time i turn it back on,only takes 3-4 mins buy its driving me crazy.Rang BT last night was kept on hold for about 30 mins then got through to some fool who could hardly speak english and could not understand a word of what im saying
:lease:

Could it be your firewall not allowing the wireless connection? Most new firewalls have a feature to detect new wireless connections/intrusions. If you didn't click 'allow' when the pop-up came up then your firewall may be treating your BT Home Hub as unwanted and therefore not allowing the connection.

Have you tried connecting the laptop to the home hub via ethernet?

i did allow the firewall

I can connect via an ethernet but how would that help me when i want to stay wireless

Does your laptop switch off your wireless card when you switch off the laptop (power saving), my wifes does and there is a button to switch it back on again and the wifi connection fires up again. Just a thought.

thxultra73 said:
i did allow the firewall

I can connect via an ethernet but how would that help me when i want to stay wireless

Re firewall, was just a suggestion as you didn't mention it in your first post, and it was the same issue I had with my laptop.

Re connecting over ethernet, was only a thought to confirm that they are connecting as they should and it's not a settings issue.

If you right click on the wireless connection icon and click 'repair' does it start working then? Do you know if it's using the windows zero configuration service? Can you go into control panel, network connections, right click on the wireless connection and choose properties and post the results. Also go into control panel, Administrative Tools, Services, scroll down the list till you find Windows Zero Configuration and let us know if it says started or stopped and what the startup type is.

By the way, this is a useful site for the Home Hub.. http://www.jasonmhirst.co.uk/?p=198 (let's of posts at the bottom that might be useful)

Ta

1st result is client for microsoft nteworks
2nd result doesn't say startred or stopped

I've got a similar problem.
I've got two laptops, a desktop PC and my media center all connected wirelessly.The laptops and the desktop PC all connect no problem but my problem is with the media center, if I power it off and restart it I don't have any problems but when I put it into standby and then wake it up it doesn't reconnect to the hub and I have to right click on either the Windows wireless icon or right click on the hub icon and force it to reconnect manually.

Any ideas?

Hi,:hiya: I’m having a problem with my internet connection. I have just changed my broadband provider to BT with the BT hub. When I open my Wireless Network Connection window, I get the message “Windows cannot configure this wireless connection”.

I have to select “Change the order of preferred networks” and click “Wireless Networks”, then click the box that says “Use windows to configure my wireless network settings”

Can I change a setting so I don’t have to repeat this every time I switch on my computer?

Cheers (Computer novice):suicide:

I've got a similar problem.
I've got two laptops, a desktop PC and my media center all connected wirelessly.The laptops and the desktop PC all connect no problem but my problem is with the media center, if I power it off and restart it I don't have any problems but when I put it into standby and then wake it up it doesn't reconnect to the hub and I have to right click on either the Windows wireless icon or right click on the hub icon and force it to reconnect manually.

Any ideas?

This is not a similar problem, this is normal and nothing to do with BT Home Hub

Does your laptop switch off your wireless card when you switch off the laptop (power saving), my wifes does and there is a button to switch it back on again and the wifi connection fires up again. Just a thought.

Nothing to do with it

Hi got my new BT HOME HUB yesterday and its quality so far,will get to my problem in a minute,first i mention about the handsets.If you went for BT TOTAL BROADBAND option 3 like me then you will have to wait another month for the handset,mine didn't come with the HUB so i rang BT and was told there is a major pronlem with the handsets which are all being recalled and the re-distribution will be about a month,d'oh
Any way please help me with my problem im only an average PC user so please dont confuse me with jargon.
I have my hub located near my telephone line and its connected properly,i have an XBOX 360 connected by ethernet and it works perfectly 100% of the time,cant complain.I have my LAPTOP connected by a wireless connection and it works brilliant never cuts out or loses speed.Problem is when i shut down the LAPTOP and then say turn it on a few hours later it wont connect to the internet again,there is an icon on the taskbar which if you click shows available connections and it will show the BT HOME HUB wireless connection but my LAPTOP will not connect and its driving me mad,the only way i can keep using my LAPTOP on the internet wireless is to keep re-installing the BT HOME HUB software every time i turn it back on,only takes 3-4 mins buy its driving me crazy.Rang BT last night was kept on hold for about 30 mins then got through to some fool who could hardly speak english and could not understand a word of what im saying
:lease:

I am also having this problem. The home hub wont assign a DHCP address, this seems to come randomly, and only rebooting the box will solve it which is very annoying.

I've been through all the options to no avail, I KNOW this is a software fault with the home hub, I'm a software engineer, and this is nothing to do with my setup.

I am going to ring tech support, but given your post I am wondering whether it will actually be cheaper just to get a different router. :rolleyes:

This is not a similar problem, this is normal and nothing to do with BT Home Hub

You say this is 'normal' but prior to using the BT Home Hub I used a Netgear router and never had this problem therefore I assume the Home Hub is the root of the problem.

I had the exact same problem.... but it is sortable.. I rang BT India and via citrix they sorted it out, something to do with a windows setting (Zero Configuration)... If you persevere with BT it will get sorted...

Hi, Yea iv just got off the phone to Bt lol, What it is with the Xbox 360 is the NAT can be strict, you will see this when you do a Xbox Live connection, you can add a game console on the Home Hub settings on 192.168.1.254 under advanced and some things else lol. With your laptop you do not need to install the BT disk all the time, with a ethernet connection its ok but with wireless it need the WEP or Password key which is on the back of the BT Home Hub router under BT Home Hub Wireless Settings, Its the wireless key that you have got to type in on your laptop or any other wireless devices, You DO NOT need it for wired connection, If there is still a problem just contact BT on 08000321118 and tell them, they should do what they can. If this is any help please let me know so im not useless lol. thanks. :hiya: :thumbsup: :D

just to let you know that with laptop when there on standby or hibernate, when you put them back on you might have to repair your connection you can do this by right clicking on the computer with the wav signals at the bottem right of your laptop or wireless computer, However with windows vista you will have to open your network place and it should repair automaticaly or you can click on repair.:clap:

They are not recalling my handset. It's fine as it my Home Hub router. The thing was set up and working with PC and XBox LIVE within 30 minutes

No comlaints at all with BT. Price could be cheaper though :D

Just installed the BT Home Hub, used the Ethernet connection as I am not wireless, but I get a problem when the PC goes to standby, the green data light goes out on the hub, when I wake the PC up the data light stays out and I have no connectivity. I am OK again if I reboot the PC.

Rang BT in India, they checked my settings which are all fine, and they say they have never heard of this problem. Hmmmmm, I can't believe I am the only one unless the BT Home Hub is faulty.

:mad:

I too am constantly dropping connection to the BT Home Hub.
Having spent an hour on the phone to BT India, and following their advice to downgrade the software version to6.11 and reboot with crossed fingers.
Within a few hours the symptoms changed no longer do I just loose connection to the hub, the hub now reboots its self every 3/4 hours????
The latest from BT India is they will call tomorrow to upgrade to the previous version ????

I can't wait!!!

Hello I have a problem with my Hub.

I wish to put one of my home computers under the DMZ setting, I can do this but as a consequence, my hub-hub phone no longer works and the phone light on the hub doesn't display. Can anyone tell me how I can use the dmz setting without disrupting the phone!
Thanks

hi all...a couple of questions ref bthome hub..bt just sent me a new smaller one...so my old white brick firmware 6226e is not being used..
i have a workshop away form house with pc without wifi card...i tryed and plugged the old hh into the pc via ethernet and in the repeater option i scanned and found my new bthome hub along with my netgear dg834 router..
but i have no internet in windows
can i use the homehub this way or do i need to buy a wifi card i was told that the hub could be used as wifi card..
2 do i need to change firmware to accomplish this? as mentioned earlier or is this something to do with superadmin...
cheers im a bit green on all this but willing to learn..
once again hi to all from somerset uk..

Just installed the BT Home Hub, used the Ethernet connection as I am not wireless, but I get a problem when the PC goes to standby, the green data light goes out on the hub, when I wake the PC up the data light stays out and I have no connectivity. I am OK again if I reboot the PC.

Rang BT in India, they checked my settings which are all fine, and they say they have never heard of this problem. Hmmmmm, I can't believe I am the only one unless the BT Home Hub is faulty.

:mad:

I have not heard of the Home Hub causing this problem either because it not the HH it's your PC. (Rebooting it curing the problem is the clue.)

You don't say much about the PC and so it is difficult to comment further.

I too am constantly dropping connection to the BT Home Hub.
Having spent an hour on the phone to BT India, and following their advice to downgrade the software version to6.11 and reboot with crossed fingers.
Within a few hours the symptoms changed no longer do I just loose connection to the hub, the hub now reboots its self every 3/4 hours????
The latest from BT India is they will call tomorrow to upgrade to the previous version ????

What is dropping?

i have a workshop away form house with pc without wifi card...i tryed and plugged the old hh into the pc via ethernet and in the repeater option i scanned and found my new bthome hub along with my netgear dg834 router..
but i have no internet in windows
can i use the homehub this way or do i need to buy a wifi card i was told that the hub could be used as wifi card..

What you are trying to do is use the Home Hub as what is known as a Wireless Bridge. I have not come across anyone getting that to work and so suspect that it is not capable of this function. It is capable of acting the other way round as a Wireless Access Point or as a Wireless Repeater if you turn DHCP off.

Have a look here.

www.frequencycast.co.uk/homehub.html

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom