bt home hub for ds wifi do i need usb adaptor?

Critbot

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys
Basically i have the bt home hub *trust me i hate it as much as alot of you do but long story* anyways i was under the impression it would be fine to use wifi with this hub.

It also shares its connection with the pc downstairs through LAN.
Anyways when it comes to wifi im useless
the pc with the home hub doesn't have a wireless card i dont know if that was needed but the ds can't pick up any useable access point. Iv tried turning off the firewall but nothing happened there and the wireless signal on the hub is flicking green.

Iv seen the nintendo wifi usb adaptor and im wondering if its worth my time buying this as *from what iv heared* its easy to set up and will let me have wifi.

Thanks for any responses :)

Which hub do you have? The older white one or the newer black one? The white one is definitely compatible with the DS.

The only things that I can of think are
1) What type of wireless network is the hub generating? If you go into the settings (http://bthomehub.home/), then go to the advanced settings, make sure it is broadcasting a mixed b/g signal (preferably on channel 1 or 11)

2) What type of security are you using? The DS will only work with WEP and not WPA or WPA2. WEP is not as secure as WPA though so it's totally your decision whether to change it or not (I use WEP because I want my DSLites to be able to play online).

3) If you aren't already using the wireless capabilities of the hub have you switched off the SSID broadcast? If you don't want to turn it on you can always enter the name manually without auto-searching for it.

I don't know why people knock the hub as I've had mine for 2 years with no problems :confused:

DON'T buy the USB adapter as connecting to a router is a much better option .. .. .. the USB stick has to bridge through a PC and therefore slows the connection down.

i have the black one but i have to be honost i have no idea what your talking about or how to even check what your asking lol any ideas on how to do this would help alot :p

http://bthomehub.home/

^Click that link to take you to the frontpage of your homehub settings. You will need to enter your ID and password to be able to edit the advanced settings.

In the advanced settings look for the following:-

1) click on 'wireless' and then it will go to a page that shows if your wireless is enabled (a checkbox), the network name (SSID), Interface type (mine is 802.11b/g), channel selection (choose manual) and channel (set it to either 1 or 11).

2) and 3) click on 'security' and it will tell you whether the network name is broadcast (check the checkbox), whether to allow new devices (it needs to be 'yes' or ''New Stations are allowed', the type of security (the DS can ONLY use WEP), WEP key length (64bit) and WEP wireless key (remember this, write it down, you need it for the DS).

If all of those settings are correct then quit out of the hub mananger and try again to connect your DS. Does it work?

cant find the username password tried the admin admin username password but that didnt work. I might just buy the usb adapter...

Thanks for your help dude :)

Are you a BT customer? If you are you can phone them and get them to reset the password for the admin functions of your router. To buy a USB adapter is an unnecessary expense when you have a wireless router.

to get ur password for ur homehub just reset it (1. Push and hold the Wireless Association button (on the back panel) for 15 seconds
2. Wait until all the flashing stops and switch off (pull the power lead) for a further 15 seconds
3. Plug back in and wait for it to load) then it will ask you to create a new password when u go to the advance menu.

Ugh.... those BT homehubs, i use mine out of necessity! Anyone seen Bt tampering with their bandwidth?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom