BT Home Hub as Repeater Using Comtred Powerline

romablade

Standard Member
I've followed instructions on the FileSaveAs UK - Mobile Technology, Smartphones and Connectivity web site on how to setup a BT Home Hub 1.5 as a wifi repeater to serve my garden office.

The full setup is:

BT Home Hub 3 as the main BB router connected to Comtrend 9020 Powerline Adapter configured as an AP, by ethernet cable. The HH3 is then connected to the phone socket via a DSL filter.

BT Home Hub 1.5 configured as per instructions on filesaveas connected to another Comtrend 9020 configured as an EP, again using an Ethernet cable.

At the AP end I connect a few devices (Windows 7 laptop, iMac, iPad and PS3) to the wifi output of the HH3.

In the garden office I connect a wifi printer, iPhone and macbook to the wifi output of the hh1.5.

Everything works fine in the office where the HH1.5 is (EP end). Comtrends both have green lights and I was working happily on my laptop connected to the office HH1.5's wifi. I came back in the house and tried to use Google on my iMac and it doesn't connect to the Internet, despite there being a strong wifi signal. As soon as I try to connect the iMac, the lights go amber on the Comtrends (both ends) but office wifi and Internet access still works fine... Only way I can get the devices in the house to connect to the internet via the HH3 is to rip out the Ethernet cable from the Comtrend AP connected to the HH3... Weird? Any ideas anyone...?

Update on the above: The PS3 can actually connect to the Internet when the other devices can't via the HH3 wifi...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

maf1970

Are you sure it isn't the HH 3 you are picking up inside the house ?

On the comtrends if the status led turns orange that indicates that the current connection is greater than 4Mbps and less than 10Mbps

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom