BT Home Hub 2 Wireless issues

jwoodley

Standard Member
Hi

I'm getting really frustrated with wireless connectivity issues that have only started the last month or so. I've tried changing the channel manually, running Inssider to check for wireless conflicts and been sent a new HH by BT but still the issue prevails. Most of the time wireless works ok but it seems that after half a day or so wireless appears to be connected on devices but internet access doesnt work or is extremely slow. When this happens the broadband is still up and working and the wired connection used by my pc works fine.

I'm going to try contacting BT again later today but don't hold out too much hope to be honest. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just go buy one of these - Netgear WNR3500 RangeMAX Wireless-N Gigabit Router

Thanks in advance
Joanna

tebbsyboy

Standard Member
Gee I dunno about the Bt Home Hub, but can certainly recommend going down the Netgear route - that's exactly what I have done for years. The WNR3500 though is a router only, not a router modem, so it would not be a direct swap with your Home Hub. You would need to attach a modem to it.

A better bet would be to get a replacement Wireless Router Modem from Netgear. I have just replaced my DGND3300 with a DGND3700 and am stoked with the performance. The old one was great, the new one offers gigabit connection when wired, so perfect for my TV and media server which support this. I have found speed and reliability to be great and range is outstanding.

I see that Netgear has just brought out a higher-end router in the DGND4500 which seems to perform even better, but I reckon either of the other two would be just fine (and probably a good deal second-hand). I have configured many routers and find this interface very easy to use. You don't need the start-up CD, so don't be put off if it's not included (they seem to be frequently lost). Just plug in a network cable and follow your nose.

In short I'd give up in the Home Hub and track down a 3300 or a 3700 on the forum. I don't reckon you can go too far wrong :)

jwoodley

Standard Member
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have BT Infinity so have vDSL modem supplied by BT but happy to get rid of that too having read about issues with them over heating!

Cheers
Joanna

beerhunter

Novice Member
I've tried changing the channel manually, running Inssider to check for wireless conflicts
When you did so, did you change the channel to one that is not only not in use locally but is at least two away from any channels that are in use. (WiFi channels overlap.)

Second when WiFi has a problem at certain times of day, take a look at equipment that is timed on.

jwoodley

Standard Member
Hi, yep, the only other channel in use locally appears to be 6 and I've moved to 11. I've also looked at equipment turned on and there is nothing that should cause a conflict

tebbsyboy

Standard Member
One thing I forgot the mention is that both of the pieces of kit I mentioned - the DGND3300 and 3700 - are dual band. That is they utilise SSID's in the 2.4 and 5 GHz ranges. Interference in the 2.4 range is not uncommon, so you can use the 5 GHz instead. Works really well as an option if there are other pieces of kit interferring with the signal.

jwoodley

Standard Member
So, after a call to BT support yesterday and resetting the modem and hub (they didn't believe I had already tried this) wireless worked ok up until 5pm yesterday, reset the hub and it worked again and first thing this morning everything was disconnected again! I'm the only one using CH11 in the area :-( Will try another router/hub as looking around the forums the BT HH is notorious for dropping wireless it would appear although BT would not agree with that!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I ended up adding a Belkin 5GHz router as an access point. This is now totally reliable.

In our neck of the woods there are 7 - 10 networks on 2.4GHz and just me on 5GHz!

jwoodley

Standard Member
Well, would like to say thanks for everyone's help, so far I picked up a refurb Netgear WNR3500 at very liitle cost as wanted to prove the BTHH was the issue and so far after over 48 hours no wireless issues!!!

Free to good home - 3 x BT HH2 either little or no use. Great if you don't want wireless!

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Glad you sorted it; you might want to mention your approximate location (for anyone considering the old routers you're disposing of).
My parents HH2 only seems to work reliably when it is set to a fixed channel; in auto "find best clear channel" mode it is unreliable. Since other local routers are all on channels 6 and below, I just leave it permanently set on 11.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom