• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BT Home Hub 2 - install issue

jp_bl_68

Prominent Member
Bit of a long story, bear with me...

BT sent me a free Home Hub 2, upgrading from the original Home Hub. I tried following the CD install guide but it wouldn't accept my WPA password. I went into my computer's network settings and entered it manually. I was able to connect wirelessly and everything was working fine. After about 2 hours my connection cut out.

The blue lights on the front of the Hub were all solid blue indicating that everything was fine. I tried resetting the Hub and I tried leaving it switched off for about an hour. No change. I still couldn't connect. In the end I went back to using my old Hub.

OK, you're caught up....

Now my old Hub has died on me so I'm forced to go back to the newer model. It's working for the time being but, as I've got no idea why it failed the first time around, I don't know how long it will continue to work. Any ideas what might've gone wrong last time?

Hardware - BT Home Hub 2 (up to 8mb/s connection) Macbook ('09, alu-unidbody, Intel C2D 2GHz, 4GB DDR3)

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
The HH 2.0 didn't actually fail. (As evidenced by the blue lights.) what failed initially was your attempt to connect to it via WiFi and I have no idea what went wrong then that works now.

For future reference don't use the installation CD. Everything that you need to know is on that credit card sized card that you were supplied: The default SSID so you know which is your network and the WPA which Windows will ask for.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
I switched from b/g/n to b/g and changed to a less busy channel. This seems to have solved the problem.
For future reference you could take a read of the many threads here on how to fix WiFi problems like yours by using a free utility called inSSIDer.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
I think I have a similar issue to this...

Sometimes my PC just loses internet connectivity for some reason while using wireless (n) but the BT Home Hub 2.0 displays no errors whatsoever! (All blue Lights)

The only way I can get internet connectivity back is to reboot the Hub as my wireless card just refuses to connect to the SSID (Hidden) unless the hub is re-booted. Actually, come to think about it, this issue has actually come about since I have hidden my SSID!!! Will try Beerhunters recommended inSSIDer tool to check for Channel throttling/conflicting and then un-hiding the SSID to see if that helps.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Will try Beerhunters recommended inSSIDer tool to check for Channel throttling/conflicting and then un-hiding the SSID to see if that helps.
Yes. It will help you to fix channel conflicts by enabling you to choose a channel that is not in use by neighbours and at least two channels away from any that are. (WiFi channels overlap.)

There really is no point hiding your SSID. The HH's WPA2 encryption will deal with security perfectly well on its own. Hiding your SSID just makes life difficult for you.

darrenuk

Standard Member
Our wireless kept losing connection, a reboot wasn't needed though, just disabed and enabled the wireless connection in Network Properties.

Fixed it by replacing the G adaptor with an N one. Working fine now and the SSID is hidden aswell.

The HH isn't very good really, I'll be replacing it soon.

Also a good idea to use a long password, this site will generate a good one for you: Generate a Secure Password - kurtm.net

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
The HH isn't very good really, I'll be replacing it soon.
I am afraid that I can't agree with you. It is one of the best freebie routers out there.

You WiFi problems seem like Operator Error to me. I've installed dozens of them with no problems at all.

smjxm09

Established Member
I am afraid that I can't agree with you. It is one of the best freebie routers out there.

You WiFi problems seem like Operator Error to me. I've installed dozens of them with no problems at all.

My Fibre hub used to keep dropping the wireless connection, which meant a re-boot. BT sent me another hub which seems much more stable although I have had to re-boot it once after the wireless dropped out.

Dazo

Established Member
He has made a valid point...

It does its job, how can you claim it not to be very good based on that?

Maybe because he suffered the same problems that many HH users suffer. Losing internet connection on a regular basis. I know it was certainly frustrating for me having to reboot the hub every 2 days. Not dropped a single connection in 6 days since I changed to a netgear.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Maybe because he suffered the same problems that many HH users suffer. Losing internet connection on a regular basis.
Once again I can't agree. I have many customers with HH 2.0s and not one of them has ever had problem with them. At home I have had a HH 2.0 for about two years now and it has never put a foot wrong.

Nearly all "Losing internet connection" problems that occur (with all WiFi routers not just HHs) are down to WiFi Channel conflicts. Which is why swapping router often helps because the new router has a different (and thus non-conflicting) default WiFi channel. I suspect that we do not get his problem very much locally, due to being in a rural area.

Last edited:

Kristian

Prominent Member
In answer to Dazo and DarrenUK.

BT have over 5 million ADSL customers, granted not all will be using a HH, so it has a huge user base out there. It is not in BTs interest to give out naff hardware, either on a support cost or reputation basis. BT have huge R&D labs and access to lots of fancy kit to test their HH against ADSL infrastructure, as do Netgear and the other big players no doubt.

As usual, the few people (in %'age terms) who have problems shout a lot whereas the vast majority who have no problems don't.

As BeerHunter says above, the usual reason for 'Internet' connections problems are actually wireless problems which is not down to the HH but the user's local environment.

Dazo

Established Member
I had no problem connecting to the hub however I had no internet access until I rebooted. I had the same problem with a wired connection so I can safely rule out a simple wireless channel issue.

All i can say is in my experience you get what you pay for and every single router I have bought has out performed the free ISP provided router.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
I actually did an experiment on Sunday which relates to some of the peoples experiences in this thread (including my own) where by over the last week I started to notice my Internet connection (wireless) kept dropping off randomly and the only way to reconnect it was to either re-boot the hub or disable and re-enable the wireless card. At this point I decided to see if the problem was with the wireless or the actual hub itself and to do this I converted to wired for a while during which time I experienced no problems whatsoever... Whether the wireless connection was lost or not the Hub still retains full broadband internet connectivity because all lights are blue on the hub's panel (including the wireless one)

Yesterday Beerhunter advised that I use the inSSIDer tool to identify if any adjacent wireless access points might be conflicting with my Hubs wireless channel :smashin: and low and behold I discovered the following!!

MY BTHOMEHUB2 -### Ch 7
Next Doors Wireless Ch 6
PlusNet Weak Wireless Ch 11
Stagecoach Bus FREE Wi-Fi (which passes in the road every 10-15mins ) Ch 1

The inSSIDer tool gives a graphical display of all the wireless channels it picks up while it's running and the overlapping of channel width each device can use.. Normally 1 either side...

So in effect My channel (7) can potentially overlap with my next door neighbours (6) thus causing problems! The tricky thing for me is finding the best possible channel which doesn't conflict with everyone else's including the stupid free wi-fi bus that cruses past my window every 15 mins!! :rolleyes: For me I think 3 or 13 might be the safest bets as the devices using ch 11 & 1 are the weakest signals, where as my neighbours is quite strong!!!

Trial and error folks... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

darrenuk

Standard Member
He has made a valid point...

It does its job, how can you claim it not to be very good based on that?
Blindly accusing me of user error, I find offensive and troll llike behaviour. If it wasn't then fine, but the reply should then of been along the lines of really why do you think that.

So let me explain what I meant by "the HH isn't very good"

I didn't say it was rubbish because it drops wireless connection all the time. After all as previously stated when I upgraded my wireless adaptor the wireless is a lot better, despite using the same channel that I had previously used and tested to be the best one.

It may be one of the better freebie routers but that's not saying much. There is a sizeable bug that's been present for over a year for a start, I'm talking about the NAT bug BT firmware notes

The workaround involves resetting to factory defaults everytime you need to make a change. It seems like a simple bug to fix but why bother ay.

At the end of the day the HH is not very good, third party routers have more configuration options (that work), will hold a connection better and are either bugless or at least get bugs fixed.

Lots of people have had problems with the HH's which have been cured by changeing to a different router and most of those are related to non-wireless problems.

Basicly it's a free router and your better off buying your own with the HH as a backup, just incase.

Noonsy

Standard Member
I've been using BT Home Hub 2 (Infinity) for a month -with nothing but problems. Wired Connection great. No issues at all.

Wireless
PS3 drops randomly with 100% signal strength
IPod drops randomly with 100% signal strength
Laptop drops randomly with 100% signal strength.

Once dropped - have to reset router or factory reset in some cases.
Problem didn't occur when BT monitored it... laptop however wasn't rebooted. (a rebooted laptop failed).

Their first suggestion was that I had a fault on the line... surely my wired connection would thus fail if that were the case?!

Tried InSSider - tried changing channels, channel to B/G instead of N.

None of these devices dropped connections with my previous SKY Netgear (given away free) router which I had for 3 years. I have previously set up 3 other home hubs for family with them having no problem at all. So clearly whilst some people experience no problems at all - clearly there are people who are and who are probably as hacked off as I am. I don't want to get drawn into the discuss of the quality of the router and I consider myself very IT literate. (with 15 years in the industry) albeit it software. I've had more than enough experience of routers to know this should not be happening. (as well as manual setup)

Encouraging users to lower their security to WEP (which is on the router help) as well as the crib sheet (clearly) for BT tech support - is clearly bad advice due to its weakness of encryption and an admission that BT must have problems in certain situations to support WPA 2/WPA.

I really don't want to have to buy a new router (although recommendations of working ones may be useful).... if all fails.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to resolve this issue.

Needless to say I'm writing this message with a cable strung across my lounge because the wireless dropped again a couple of minutes ago. (No Internet Access, 100% and connected)...

Very frustrating...

Any more ideas?

Cheers

Rich

smjxm09

Established Member
My first Infinity hub would drop the wireless connection with only a hub reboot fixing the issue. This gradually got worse and would happen around once a day. After spending time with support they send me another hub. This was again fine for several weeks but has had to be reset 3 times in the last week. It seems to me to point at an issue with the hub as the hub should find the best channel but in reality there are only 3 channels it can select.

The next time it does it I will see what channel it is using before and after the reboot.

Last edited:

Noonsy

Standard Member
There were various signals around, with most around -60 to -80db not overlapping the channel I'm using.

I'm at -39. I've disabled BTFon btw. (as this signal was sometimes stronger than my secured access for some reason).

I've tried to fix at channel 6 - which so far is holding.... fingers crossed. With iPod and PC connected. Longest time I've had no issues is two days....

Kind Regards

Rich

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
There were various signals around, with most around -60 to -80db not overlapping the channel I'm using.
Overlapping is key. WiFi channel overlap and so one must set one's channel to one that is at least two away from any channel in use.

So it sounds like inSSIDer may have helped fix this.

As to the suggestion that the BT HH 2.0 has an endemic fault, there are millions so them out there (including the one that I am currently attached to) and so if there was such a fault BT would be in deep trouble with HH 2.0s - which they aren't.

Lennon55

Established Member
Overlapping is key. WiFi channel overlap and so one must set one's channel to one that is at least two away from any channel in use.

Sorry to jump on the thread, but what would be preferable if you're not able to find a free channel?

For example, inSSIDer shows 2 Sky routers using channel 1, a nearby TalkTalk router that uses channel 1 + 5 (not sure how it does that mind), another 2 routers using channel 6 and 2 routers using channel 11.

Those on channel 11 have the strongest signal (around -60db) and those on channels 1 to 6 are the weakest at around -90db).

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Sorry to jump on the thread, but what would be preferable if you're not able to find a free channel?
There are a finite number of WiFi channels and in an urban environment they can get used up quite quickly. Especially if one of more of the networks is using two channels - some WiFi standards support two channel for greater data rates.

The fix is: Don't use WiFi but wired Ethernet or powerline comms like HomePlugs. Or move your WiFi to 802.11n and use the 5 GHz mode. (Until that gets swamped locally. :) )

In your case, I'd try channels 8 or 9.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom