BT Headphones with no delay.

Omits

Established Member
Reaction score
I play the piano and would prefer BT headphones BUT the device I use (I think the BT version is 4.x something) causes a delay so no use for practicing. So I need an adapter and headphones with no delay (i am assuming the delay is not in the piano itself as it is the audio output jack).

Advise on kit appreciated. Budget say £60. many thanks.

Have a read of this thread.

Well, that looks complicated for me as I'm sitting at the keyboard and just want to avoid the wired part of the connection. The device I used is here. The point is about the delay is that when I press a key it must sound within the few ms to avoid me noticing. I am not sure what all this codec stuff is about though. I can't understand why BT has a delay in the first place. Sounds like a design requirement drop-off. Thanks for the input.

PS (later note): I see now that for BT v5.0 and low latency the headphones and transmitter (see it on Amazon) need to be a pairing set I quote: "multipoint support works best for same brand/ model of headphones. For Many headphones/speakers (such as Bose, Beats, Sony) are primarily for music, not watching TV and do not support low latency. In order to avoid lip-sync issues, your BT headset or speaker also needs to support the code of Low Latency. Please check with your device manufacturer to verify this. If not, the codec would be downgraded to aptX or even SBC, and you may experience the noticeable audio lag, It is not Bluetooth adapter's problem."

So, I suppose I am asking which BT headphones can support pairing for low latency as the quote above states. As I play the piano the notes should come through in about 15ms I think so same as lipsync watching TV. Anyone tried this and recommend headphones?

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I
I play the piano and would prefer BT headphones BUT the device I use (I think the BT version is 4.x something) causes a delay so no use for practicing. So I need an adapter and headphones with no delay (i am assuming the delay is not in the piano itself as it is the audio output jack).

Advise on kit appreciated. Budget say £60. many thanks.

I'll keep this brief and to the point.

If your primary goal is delay reduction, then you must buy a Bluetooth transmitter and headphones both supporting 'aptX Low Latency'. Look for this exact full wording in the product descriptions on Amazon - the mention of 'aptX' alone is not enough. There have been many flavours of Bluetooth over the decades and 'aptX Low Latency' is the version specifically developed for low delay applications.

There will still be some minor delay. Whether the delay reduction will be sufficient for playing a musical instrument, I have no idea. This is an AV forum.

I would recommend these two from personal experience in a TV application. If these don't solve the delay issue then you can abandon the search for a Bluetooth solution.

Amazon product ASIN B086CYS884
Amazon product ASIN B00F54Y6GU

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom