Question BT headphones for TV shows/hip-hop music - room use

see4k

Novice Member
Can you please suggest some good BT headphones for TV shows (Netflix 90%) primary, and hip-hop music secondary?
Everything else is not important.

I was thinking about Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 3 or Audio Technica ATH-M50XBT.
First one are still not in stores here and expensive, second one are cheaper and available.

I'll now put some tips for you what is important and what is not:

+ Netflix/TV via BT
+ hip-hop music
+ comfortable
+ cheap as possible

= battery life
= 3.5mm cable

- noise cancel
- travel equipment

What do you think?
Thanks.

see4k

Novice Member
Normal, big TV (LG C8) in my room, watching from bed, so 3.5mm is too far and complicated...
But cable is always wanted for some other usage, maybe plug it to DS4 in future.

Jules Tohpipi

OK, this means you're likely to run into lipsync problems i.e. the sound lagging significantly behind the image you see on screen. This is caused by the extra data processing required to transmit the audio via Bluetooth.

As Netflix is your main priority, you should narrow your search down to headphones which support the aptX Low Latency (LL) format. This will reduce the audio delay to acceptable levels. But it also means you need buy a Bluetooth transmitter supporting aptX LL too. Both transmitter and headphones need to be LL to eliminate the delay.

For reference, even my £250 Sony Bluetooth headphones don't support LL and there's an unacceptable delay. But some no-name £30 headphones I bought with LL are fine.

see4k

Novice Member
Thanks.
Situation is that I am using HD 4.40BT for almost a year with Netflix and it's ok, but I would like to bring the game on higher level.
Something where I would feel the difference for sure would be totally ok, the cheeper, the better...

Finbow

I have a set of Audio Technica M50xbt’s & I think they’re great. I also tried a pair of Momentum’s before them. I much preferred the Audio Technica’s in every regard. I think they will be perfect for your needs.

see4k

Novice Member
I have a set of Audio Technica M50xbt’s & I think they’re great. I also tried a pair of Momentum’s before them. I much preferred the Audio Technica’s in every regard. I think they will be perfect for your needs.
Thank you.

I have just read review on this site and it tells many good things, same as your comments on it...
Now this headphones got my full attention and they are very serious buy choice.

I would ask you for some favor, if you can listen beginning of Hard Knock Life (Jay Z) - can they "swallow" bass from begining, it is raw, cruel, to say...?

Then some songs from Illmatic or It Was Written album from Nas, they all have that old school great bass...

Lastly, m.A.A.d City from Kendrick Lamar, besides it's one of the best civil rights songs, it has heavy, deep bass...

What are your impressions?
Can you please help?

Last edited:

TerFar

Can you please suggest some good BT headphones for TV shows (Netflix 90%) primary, and hip-hop music secondary?
Everything else is not important.

I was thinking about Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 3 or Audio Technica ATH-M50XBT.
First one are still not in stores here and expensive, second one are cheaper and available.

I'll now put some tips for you what is important and what is not:

+ Netflix/TV via BT
+ hip-hop music
+ comfortable
+ cheap as possible

= battery life
= 3.5mm cable

- noise cancel
- travel equipment

What do you think?
Thanks.
I don't listen to hip-hop as I'm a classical fan, but I certainly watch TV and wear headphones so that I don't annoy others in the house.

Firstly, I find even the slightest sounds sync disparity a real problem. So you must have Bluetooth that has aptX Low Latency - both compatible phones and transmitter. BT5 definitely supports aptX LL, but so did a few, but not all, BT4 devices.

I also like a decent range: what's more annoying than popping out to the kitchen to make a cuppa or to refill your scotch than loss or breakup of sound!

After much experimantation, my eventual solution was to ignore the TV integrated BT Unacceptable lip sync) and purchased an Avantree Oasis plus. This is a relatively high power transmitter (I can wear my headphones and walk around outside in my garden with rock solid connection) that I connect to the optical output of my TV. (I actually connect by an optical splitter as I need the same output for my stereo system.) (Note that the Oasis is powered from a spare USB port on my TV, so it powers on or off automatically with the the TV.)

For headphones, I wear either Plantronics Backbeat Pro for listening to music or Plantronics Backbeat Sense for other listening. The Avantree and Plantronics both support Low Latency making for comfortable listening.

I must thank Amazon for their great returns policy because I can assure you that I tried many transmitters and many headsets before I found a combination that really work well to my satisfaction.

larryincmh

Novice Member
Everyone of course will have their own opinion, but, I have spent a lot of time over the past year or two trying out various BT headphones and rejecting most. At the end of the process I ended up with a pair of Sony WH1000XM3 cans which are able to be used both with and without noise cancellation. They have bested Bose in the noise cancellation arena and of course best Bose in sound quality (which is easy to do even with most headphones ha ha).

Sony may make the same headphones in non-noise cancellation but I'm not sure. PSB headphones are now highly rated too with both noise cancelling and non-noise cancelling versions (the M4U 1 and M4U 8 models).

If you are OK with earbuds instead that employ passive noise reduction then hands down the winner is the Focal Sphere Wireless, great sound quality, excellent battery life, a recently new product.

Anyway, my two cent's worth.

see4k

Novice Member
I don't listen to hip-hop as I'm a classical fan, but I certainly watch TV and wear headphones so that I don't annoy others in the house.

Firstly, I find even the slightest sounds sync disparity a real problem. So you must have Bluetooth that has aptX Low Latency - both compatible phones and transmitter. BT5 definitely supports aptX LL, but so did a few, but not all, BT4 devices.

I also like a decent range: what's more annoying than popping out to the kitchen to make a cuppa or to refill your scotch than loss or breakup of sound!
Thanks.

Actually, I don't even wear them, for the very most time it is lying on my bed and watching TV :)
As I said before, I have Sennheiser HD 4.40BT for almost a year and they are good - I used to on some syn ms problems, but that is thing I can get over with bcs I'm allways more concentrated to subtitles...

What I want is better experience if possible.
And if I could switch between TV and smartphone without pairing them to each every time.

Everyone of course will have their own opinion, but, I have spent a lot of time over the past year or two trying out various BT headphones and rejecting most. At the end of the process I ended up with a pair of Sony WH1000XM3 cans which are able to be used both with and without noise cancellation. They have bested Bose in the noise cancellation arena and of course best Bose in sound quality (which is easy to do even with most headphones ha ha).

Sony may make the same headphones in non-noise cancellation but I'm not sure. PSB headphones are now highly rated too with both noise cancelling and non-noise cancelling versions (the M4U 1 and M4U 8 models).

If you are OK with earbuds instead that employ passive noise reduction then hands down the winner is the Focal Sphere Wireless, great sound quality, excellent battery life, a recently new product.

Anyway, my two cent's worth.
Thanks.

I watched that Sony model at first, they have almost same price as Bose Quietcomfort 35 II and about €60 cheaper then Momentum 3, that came to stores in meantime - and all this is very very expensive.

Don't know, but that M50XBT seems just fine, there should be difference on better vs HD 4.40BT and they are significantly cheaper, just about €200.

UPDATE: any further suggestions are ofc welcome!

Is my thinking, choice ok?

Last edited:

gav_sw20

Have you thought about RF headphones?

I wanted some cans to listen to tv / music wirelessly but couldn’t find a decent Bluetooth transmitter. In the end I went for Sennheiser RS165 (better models available) and they tick all the boxes for a sensible price.

see4k

Novice Member
Have you thought about RF headphones?

I wanted some cans to listen to tv / music wirelessly but couldn’t find a decent Bluetooth transmitter. In the end I went for Sennheiser RS165 (better models available) and they tick all the boxes for a sensible price.
Thanks but I'll stick to BT bcs there's no need for such distances - only 3-3.5m to TV

mark6226

I just got a free pair of jbl live 650 bt cans from bt. I signed up for their a bt sim and I'm a plus customer. I can't believe they are giving away cans of this quality
I only got them yesterday but I do like them. I can connect them to my bravia, alexa, pc and note 10 plus. It's a little fiddly at first but I'll get used to it.
Sound is really excellent for non wired. I've tested them with video, tidal masters, gaming and they are really good.
I think they are going for around 150 which is a good price for cans of this quality. They have tons of bass for those inclined.
Even better when free.

Trending threads

Top Bottom