BT Getting Slower and Slower.........

Johndm

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A brief history....

Always had a sync rate of 3776 of 4224.

Speed dropped mid December 09 to 2200/2800

Several calls to India...referred to engineer.

Engineer 1, all equipment is fine (Home hub 2, No extention wiring, no ring wire).

Engineer 2, line should do 3 to 4 meg..all looks good.

No improvement

Engineer 3, changed E side pair, better stats on line..far fewer errors..should do 3 to 4 meg.

Still only sync'd at 2848 with an IP proifle of 2000, so stll much slower than before when I had an IP of 3000, or a third slower..:facepalm:

Where do I go now guys.......can't even watch a youtube video in HD anymore without it stuttering...:thumbsdow

Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 22:51:59
Downstream 2,848 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 12.3 dB / 16.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 53.0 dB / 30.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 18.3 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 17053 / 3
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 28 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 2
Error Seconds (Local) 21

Where do I go now guys..
Call them again. Tell them that they have one more chance to fix it or there will be a letter of complaint. If they fail, write the letter to: Sir Michael Rake. (Address posted here umpteen times.)

...dont worry ...you'got a long way to go before you're like me :)

£25-00 per month to ZEN for an up to 8 meg...

They say its my internal wiring.... NO WAY !!

I used to get 3.5 meg - Slowly over 3 years it's got less and less - thinking of going back to dial-up :)

BT want £165-00 just to come out and look at it.....!!

What a mess this country's getting into....

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 89
1. They say its my internal wiring.... NO WAY !!

2. BT want £165-00 just to come out and look at it..
1. How do you know that?

2. Internal Wiring is your responsibility (you own it) and so why should you not pay for service to it.

I've checked every inch of my cable run from the BT main/master socket to my router..... it's 100% - The plugs on the end weren't fitted by me so i'm not touching them....

..I'm mad about it because BT fitted/installed it and I personally think its their responsibility to maintain their work both externally and internally

I wouldn't mind so much if they charged £40-00 and hour BUT a flat rate for what might be 10 minutes work - Oh no !

I'm looking at Virgin or 'perhaps' the BT 'FTTC' when it comes to my area.... Meanwhile I'll watch my web pages 'slowly emerging'....

.....Rip Off Britain...........Profit, Profit,Profit..Too true....?

1. How do you know that?

2. Internal Wiring is your responsibility (you own it) and so why should you not pay for service to it.

A visual inspection just isn't good enough. The only true test of your Internal Wiring is to run tests via the Master Socket Faceplate and the Test Socket. If you get a higher speed in the Test Socket, there is a problem with your Internal Wiring.

As to BT maintaining your Internal Wiring in perpetuity at no charge, do you know any other supplier that gives that kind of service?

no offence ....... If you're happy then OK... I'm not...

It's to do with my IP Profile (BRAS) nothing to do with my master socket...

Believe me - i've tried the master socket......

A visual inspection just isn't good enough. The only true test of your Internal Wiring is to run tests via the Master Socket Faceplate and the Test Socket. If you get a higher speed in the Test Socket, there is a problem with your Internal Wiring.

As to BT maintaining your Internal Wiring in perpetuity at no charge, do you know any other supplier that gives that kind of service?

Last edited by a moderator:
Call them again. Tell them that they have one more chance to fix it or there will be a letter of complaint. If they fail, write the letter to: Sir Michael Rake. (Address posted here umpteen times.)

Still waiting to hear back from BT Care, and there is still an open fault showing on my phone line

no offence ....... If you're happy then OK... I'm not...

It's to do with my IP Profile (BRAS) nothing to do with my master socket...

Believe me - i've tried the master socket......
Your IP Profile has everything to do with sockets and wiring. It is based on your Line Rate which will affected by problems with your Internal Wiring. The only time that is not the case is on the rare occasions that an IP Profile gets 'stuck'. In that case it can easily be reset by BTW.

If you post the results from Test Result I will interpret them for you, in terms of whether there is a problem with your IP Profile as such.

As to sockets, it is the TEST SOCKET (which is under the faceplate of the Master Socket) that you need to use and then compare the resultant speed to what you get from the regular socket on the faceplate of the Master Socket.

I've been to that BT speedtester site before and guess what ? - it rejects my landline phone number (I've been with BT with the same number for over 20 years )...that simply (too me) sums up BT overall .....they just don't worry as long as the profit is rolling in.....
Phone them about your problems and you get 4 options - press the one you want and you get 4 more - then its 'Were terribly busy at the moment - please wait - you're number 195 in the queue - or simply enter your number and we'll phone you sometime next year'.... Believe me - I've just about had my fill of this 'wonderful' company... but where else is there to go... no matter what ISP you go for - some - or all of it comes down BT's magnificent bits of ageing copper wire somewhere along the line.....

Performance Tester is unable to run the speed test for your telephone number:**********. Please check that it is the correct telephone number for your service. Did you follow all the instructions given on the website, before initiating the speed test. If not, then please follow all the instructions carefully and try to run the test again.If you believe it is the correct number for your service and you have followed all the instructions then please ask your Service Provider whether you can use Performance Tester to test your Broadband speed. If yes, then ask him for the Service ID of your broadband connection and try again with this Service ID along with your Telephone Number. If this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

Your IP Profile has everything to do with sockets and wiring. It is based on your Line Rate which will affected by problems with your Internal Wiring. The only time that is not the case is on the rare occasions that an IP Profile gets 'stuck'. In that case it can easily be reset by BTW.

If you post the results from Test Result I will interpret them for you, in terms of whether there is a problem with your IP Profile as such.

As to sockets, it is the TEST SOCKET (which is under the faceplate of the Master Socket) that you need to use and then compare the resultant speed to what you get from the regular socket on the faceplate of the Master Socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been a fault on btspeedtester.com over the w/end.Try again .It wouldn't work with IE8 for me but worked with Firefox and also Chrome

something like this has happend to me twice now, only when i've been under contract for 6+ months, both times BT have said, we aren't capping your connection, nothing wrong on line, ya getting all ya can(2.2mbps, were as normal was 5.5).

The 2nd Time ended today when i called their bluff, and migrated to sky, Con went from 2.2mbps to 5.2 before the Sky DLM has even started.

wouldn't be surpised if it's the same for you. Bt's Fair Usage Policy under contract is a bitch.

both times BT have said, we aren't capping your connection,.
When BT slow a subscriber's broadband due to FUP violation (That is the only reason that they do it.) they admit it. There is really no point in them doing other wise.

As to the increase in speed with Sky. Your line/equipment had a fault previously - simples. The amount of remote diagnosis that the Agent can do is limited and they don't like calling Openreach because it costs BT money. In addition the BT Call Centre staff appear to be, in the main, ill-trained and incompetent.

I've picked this up from speedtester.bt, can you interpret for me?

Download speed
help.jpg
achieved during the test was - 310 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds
help.jpg
is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :416 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps

I'm not sure where it fits in to the grand scheme of my speeds.

Beximus. The modem in your router and the ADSL equipment at your Local Exchbnge are running at 416 kb/s. BTW's Max system has set an IP Profile 350 kb/s. (The top speed at which data will actually be sent down the line. The 310 kb/s refers to speed of actual data with network over heads.

The IP Profile is spot on for that DSL Rate ans Throughput in line too.

However your DSL rate is marginal for that IP Profile. Any drop below it may cause your IP Profile to drop to 250 kb/s. Have you tried using the Test Socket? to do this into the HH Settings (192.168.1.254), Advanced Settings, Broadband, ADSL and make a note of the "Downstream" Connection Rate. Now plug the HH into the Test Socket, reboot it and look at the Downstream number again. If it has increased instantly, you have problems with your Internal Wiring. Many threads on these forums on how to fix it.

If you do mange top increase your DSL Rate, your IP profile will rise in line with it in up to three days.

BTW what resuklt do you get here: ADSL Checker

Beximus. The modem in your router and the ADSL equipment at your Local Exchbnge are running at 416 kb/s. BTW's Max system has set an IP Profile 350 kb/s. (The top speed at which data will actually be sent down the line. The 310 kb/s refers to speed of actual data with network over heads.

The IP Profile is spot on for that DSL Rate ans Throughput in line too.

However your DSL rate is marginal for that IP Profile. Any drop below it may cause your IP Profile to drop to 250 kb/s. Have you tried using the Test Socket? to do this into the HH Settings (192.168.1.254), Advanced Settings, Broadband, ADSL and make a note of the "Downstream" Connection Rate. Now plug the HH into the Test Socket, reboot it and look at the Downstream number again. If it has increased instantly, you have problems with your Internal Wiring. Many threads on these forums on how to fix it.

If you do mange top increase your DSL Rate, your IP profile will rise in line with it in up to three days.

BTW what resuklt do you get here: ADSL Checker
I've got this -

For Telephone Number *********** on Exchange RAVENHILL

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 4Mbps or greater. The actual stable line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This rate may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
I'm on Max, so I've got up to 4mbs on the line.

I will check on the test socket when I've got a bit more time now, see what it says. To be fair, I'm still in the first few days of the order, so I'll test after my 10 day window.

I'm on Max, so I've got up to 4mbs on the line.
Your line LENGTH is capable of 4 Mb/s and you are way under that. BT won't entertain calls about speed problems until the Ten Day Stabilisation Period is up. So If I was you, on Day Ten I would try the Test Socket and if the line doesn't sync at 4 Mb/s, call them.

You may get some bs about whatever speed you are getting being the fastest that the line can take but that will be because they are trying to avoid calling Openreach and so you may need to be firm.

Last edited:
Your line LENGTH is capable of 4 Mb/.s and you are way under that. BT won't entertain calls about speed problems until the Ten Day Stabilsaion Period is up. So If I was you, on Day Ten I would try the Test Socket and if the line doesn't sync at 4 Mb/s, call them.

You may get some bs about whatever speed you are getting being the fastest that the line can take but that will be because they are trying to avoid calling Openreach and so you may need to be firm.
Will do. Even if I can somehow get a little bit of an increase, I'll be happy.

So I finally have a result...but it was hard work!

Numerous call to/from India we just a waste of time.

First engineer found nothing wrong with my equipment.
Second line engineer said it should be better.
Third line engineer changed E side line and said much better.

BUT, still only getting an IP profile of 2000 with a 2700 sync.

Took the problem to the BT forums, and whinged on until a mod (BT Care team) offered assistance.

He was able to talk directly to BT Wholesale, and just like magic my line is now sync'd at 4032 with an IP profile of 3500

:smashin:

Dont speak to soon.
I had the same issues as you. My BT line was getting worse and worse.
They gave me all the rubbish abou tinternal wiring and asked me to use my test socket. Well, the BT man that came out when i moved in put a faceplate on so i alwasy use the test socket. Not sure if thats OK, but it was working a dream for 8 months, then the connection started slipping.
I started off with 4, then in a period of 2 months went down to 2. I whinged and it miraculously went back up to nearer 4, but then started to slip, again over a period of weeks and even worse when it was throttled in the evenings.
I really thought it couldnt happen like that, but it did.

I then moved to Sky unlimited and now im getting 6-7 constantly :clap:

Dont speak to soon.
They gave me all the rubbish abou tinternal wiring and asked me to use my test socket. Well, the BT man that came out when i moved in put a faceplate on so i alwasy use the test socket. Not sure if thats OK, but it was working a dream for 8 months, then the connection started slipping.
I started off with 4, then in a period of 2 months went down to 2. I whinged and it miraculously went back up to nearer 4, but then started to slip, again over a period of weeks and even worse when it was throttled in the evenings.
I really thought it couldnt happen like that, but it did.

I then moved to Sky unlimited and now im getting 6-7 constantly :clap:

Well, if they don't maintain a minimum 4 meg service I'll be coming over to Sky BB. What router to Sky provide?

If BT can keep it up....I'll stick with it until I can get Infinity. As I can see the street junction box, I should get the full 40GB service...:clap:

They gave me all the rubbish abou tinternal wiring and asked me to use my test socket.
It is SOP to run tests in the Test Socket when a line fault is suspected in order to eliminate, or not, your Internal Wiring. At that point no one is blaming anyone else - just fault finding.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom