BT fibre packages

SavorettiMoretti

I’m looking to move to BT and can see that I can get FTTP.

How do BT offer different speed packages, can they limit it? I have a friend with an independent communications company, he can offer FTTP but it’s a flat speed, he says there are no different products.

psychopomp1

BT offer different FTTP tiers, like most other FTTP providers do eg Hyperoptic. Reason is rather obvious: not everyone needs/wants 1 Gbps so someone who only does light browsing could easily find that 50 Mbps on FTTP is more than enough. Hence they pay signficantly less than someone who needs/wants 1 Gbps. I'm sure there are some FTTP operators (i think B4RN might be one) who only offer 1 Gbps across the board but their backhaul/bandwidth costs will be massively cheaper than BTs/Openreach hence they can afford to make their services cheaper.

SavorettiMoretti

Thanks for the reply.

Struggling to justify the big jump in cost compared to Sky right now

psychopomp1

How much are you currently paying Sky and for what speed? Some great FTTP deals on BT if ordering through here, only £24.99/m for FTTP 40/10 or £29.99/m for FTTP 160/30. You won't get these prices over the phone, its an online exclusive offer:

SavorettiMoretti

I think I’m paying £25 for around 40mb at the minute.
Where did you get that link??!

Maverick567

It may be worth ringing Sky, I hear that they are starting to offer FTTP (via Openreach), however it is only offered over the phone by certain trained call handlers. I believe they are doing a soft launch before rolling it out fully.

SavorettiMoretti

I did ring the other week and they said it wasn’t available

SavorettiMoretti

psychopomp1

I think I’m paying £25 for around 40mb at the minute.
Where did you get that link??!
Got it through a BT flyer posted through my letterbox.

Yep, Sky are also offering FTTP but they're not cheap (they won't negotiate either). IIRC 160/30 for £39.99/m, and they don't offer anything faster - yet BT offer the same package for £29.99/m using the link i supplied earlier. You need to call Sky on 0333 759 4255 as its phone orders only for FTTP.

TalkTalk are also offering FTTP over Openreach now. They charge £34.99/m for their 500/75 package which is a great price. Again phone orders only:

SavorettiMoretti

outoftheknow

40Mb really or 40 mbs
I think we all know what each means :) if we get really pedantic mbs doesn’t mean megabits per second either. Probably best to let the small things through to the keeper :thumbsup::)

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
I was paying BT approx £32.50 for FTTP 50/10. My contract expired and the cost went to £40.50. As an existing customer I couldn’t access any of the promotions and I couldn’t find another supplier of FTTP. A call to BT and they put me on 70/20 for £29 per month. Includes copper landline and Vat. Reasonably happy.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom