BT digital voice - divert number to another VOIP?

Pugs1

So, just ordered BT FTTP (March install) and unfortunately I don't have any other choice but to take the digital phone service, copper not an option in the package. However, the usual 'same old', in that, I wont be using the Hub which will be supplied. Not when I have Edgerouter, Billion 8900AX, VLANs, Unbound\Pi-hole DNS, Firewall and so forth in a SOHO. I'm also not willing to but the BT piece of :) into any type of 'bridge', since its not really 'bridged' and will still use their DNS.

So, I'm thinking of purchasing a Gigaset VOIP phone and using a third party VOIP provider and just connect to my existing infrastructures router (like normal VOIP lol)

Question, without porting my old landline number, can anybody think of a way of diverting my landline number (which would be BT digital) to the the third party VOIP (SipGate which has a new local number)?

Apparently BT digiatl will only work the hub, nowt else.

outoftheknow

Pretty much no unfortunately. BT may allow and charge for call forwarding to your new provider number.

Last edited:

Pugs1

Yeah, pretty much what I thought. May configure their phone service, take if out and then just use a normal VOIP provider with a new number. Pretty much locked into using their products again for a phone service. Going to hit the issue at some point, apparently dropping copper in 2025.

I'm wondering when its done and dusted if there is a way of forwarding calls over VOIP but not from BT side but from the new provider, kinda a 'pull' service which intercepts the BT number. Long shot I know.

outoftheknow

but not from BT side but from the new provider, kinda a 'pull' service which intercepts the BT number. Long shot I know.
That sounds like a ported number. If somebody calls the BT number the call can only be diverted by the service the number belongs to AFAIK.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom