BT contract ending, which ISP is good?

MahaRaja

Hi All,

After 2 years with BT Fiber broadband, wonder which other ISPs offer good service, I never had any issues with BT streaming or wifi, but they hiked up the price for the renewal. It's becoming a nightmare to bloody compare and hunt for deals every time a contracts comes to an end, and they reserve the best deals for..new customers!

I checked couple of other rival ISPs like Vodafone but read some poor service, though cheaper and cash vouchers.
Wonder if anyone could recommend a reliable ISP for Fiber broadband with good solid and uninterrupted connection.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I tend to flip between BT & Plusnet, taking advantage of new customer deals, cashback & usually a prepaid Mastercard.

I did once have a brief 14 day fling with Vodafone but won't do that again even if it was free. 👎

JayCee

Distinguished Member
BT's packages always revert to full price at the end of the contract.
You need to phone them and tell them you can get a similar package from Sky or Virgin cheaper and they'll offer you a better deal rather than lose you as a customer.
I've been on BT Fibre for about 6 years now and the service has been rock solid.
When my contract came to an end last month I started shopping around and realised I could get a similar speed package for a lot less from Sky so I phoned BT and mentioned this and they gave me my existing service for around the same price as I had been paying and as I also had 2 BT Mobile contracts (mine and my wifes) they also reduced the price of these and doubled the data allowance.
The BB package I'm now on is called “Superfast Fibre Halo 1” and it comes with a guaranteed minimum speed which is dependent on your normal BB speed.

Last edited:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
they'll offer you a better deal rather than lose you as a customer.
Always worth a try but a complete lottery IME as to whether you get offered a good deal. Seems you just have to get lucky with where your call ends up. I've heard suggestions that BT reps have a finite number of deals they can offer as retentions.

MahaRaja

Thanks lads for the replies.

Would call them on Monday and speak to their cancellation team and see if they're willing to match Vodafone rate, which looks very tempting and with cash vouchers, no wonder they're trying to lure customers but people run away or scared of them.:eek:

I had a really great deal last time with BT (my current deal) but had to twist her arm with hard negotiation to get her to agree for £21.99 a month instead of £29.

paulombsd

Standard Member
Watch out for those cash vouchers as they are usually offered by third parties like uswitch and Vodafone has no obligation to honor it. Always read the terms and conditions for those things or else you might be caught off guard.

MahaRaja

BT Customer service takes ages to answer the phone, I gave up on several occasion lasting over 25 mins on the phone, to discuss the renewal of my current package.

Their online chat does not give facility for this. Tried to renew the package online, though it's quite an increase from my current price, through their website as I can't get a BT staff to speak but it doubles the price on the basket after checkout!

paulombsd

Standard Member
They can't work from home as most of those traditional companies can't, so yeah, it will be a nightmare.
On the other hand, as you have BT, you don't need a new master socket, you can just move to any other provider besides Virgin Media.

MahaRaja

Managed to get through yesterday quite quickly. Kind BT staff let me on my current price and package for the next two years minus the free weekend calls, which we don't use much. Result!