BT Connection to Sky Box Not used

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by kevinsmith98, Feb 25, 2005.

1. kevinsmith98

kevinsmith98
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    we have Sky Multi Room.

The main Sky + box is connected to a BT point, but we never use the interactive options.

The 2nd Box was installed within a room whitout a BT point, so when it was installed the Sky Engineer laid a loose extension lead from the nearest available point.

The SOH wasn't best impressed with this and this was quickly disconnected and stored away from sight.

so the 2nd Sky Box isnt now connected to a BT line.

Just had a letter from Sky, saying they have noted one box isnt connected and that this breaches the terms of our contract.

1, has anyone been "2done" by Sky for this breach?

2, if (and i obviously dont) had the box "usually switched off at the mains as its in a spare room we dont use often", would Sky be able to "tell" that it's not connected as its switched off at the mains, as opposed to not connected because the BT extension lead is a pain in the ar$e!

in anticipation of a response or two

thanks

2. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,346
    With MultiRoom ,both boxes have to be connected to the phone . This is to make sure that they are both in the same house , used by the same account holder .
    I think you'll probably get a second letter , but no third (or is that third ,but no forth). What you will get tho' is the full amount for a second sub taken in the direct debit :eek: . It has happened to someone on here , try a search .
    This is the one phone connection sky are **** hot on :lesson: .
    Maybe you could hook it up overnight, for a few nights at a time, in the hope that it will ring back. Or run an extension , its not that difficult
    atb
    John

4. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The box has to be powered to make a callback, so any box that is switched off at the wall will give the same result as if the phone was disconnected.
    As has been said before, it is a condition of the cheap multiroom subscription that all boxes are connected to a working phone line at all times.

5. kevinsmith98

kevinsmith98
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Graham, thanks for the link, but we have ADSL/Broadband so these are a no go. they look good as well.

having just had all wood floors laid etc etc in the new house, putting an extension lead in doesn't fill me with joy i have to say!

i can see where Sky are coming from with the multi room cards being used elsewhere, but with the 2nd box being in the family room, i am not at all sure i want the kids being able to access/dial up the 50p a shot games.

i see an argument brewing with Sky CS here!

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    One which you will not win. To get the boxes at a subsidised price, you agreed to have them connected to your phone line. Sky have kept to their part of the contract - they in turn will expect you to stick to yours.

7. Keithcun

Keithcun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Parental lock?

8. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go into services and then Parental controls you can PIN protect the interactive part that uses the phoneline. Just go to Online Restriction and turn it on. Don't forget to save the setting, then put a spending restriction of £0, and finally change the PIN to something the kids will never guess. :lesson:

9. J-K

J-K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How about blaming the problem on BT? I have Sky and don't plug my phone line in, because it causes my phone to not ring when i'm receiving a call. Sky have no way to check - so blame BT, and they should be off your back?

Let me know how it goes, cuz i'm sure i'll have the same problem soon too! Haha!

10. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    A mate at work had this when his box wasn't reading a phone connection.
    Have you checked your bank account to make sure Sky haven't charged you for two subscriptions ? This happened to my mate :eek:

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    As has already been said in this thread, if you don't connect both boxes to the line, after a couple of warnings, Sky withdraw the difference between the subsidised price and the unsubsidised price from your bank account. The fact that your phone extensions are incorrectly wired won't come into it.

12. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this sounds like either a faulty modem, or a bad connection on the extension that the box is plugged into. Have you done a system test to see what it says?If you have one box that is out of warrenty it doesn't matter about the phone line, but with multiroom you can only put the blame on BT for so long.

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It could just be that they have exceeded the REN of the phone line :rolleyes:

14. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's doubtful. The boxes have a very low REN value, but the minimum that can be quoted is 1. I have been to houses that have had three boxes, a couple of phones and a PC all connected to the same line, and there was no problem with any of them.

15. kevinsmith98

kevinsmith98
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    any techies out there who understand the technobabble on this web site? :lease:

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/wireless_phone_extension.htm

i ahve ADSL and 2nd sky box in a room with no BT socket. i dont want to run a wired extension about 10m from an existing BT socket if i can help it at all (wood floors, scabby look of extensions tacked to skirtings etc) :nono:

this web site appears to say this wireless extension will work if used with ADSL for voice?

or maybe i get Sky back to sort the problem for me?

16. kevinsmith98

kevinsmith98
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    if i have a wireless router (for the Broadband), is there anything wireless that can use the wireless router to create a wireless telephone point? (for the 2nd sky box to plug in to?

does that make sense?

17. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry!
    This wont work with your system,i tried the same route and it wont work with broadband on the same line!

18. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I refer to the one for all.

19. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can also try this one it's cheaper! find it at maplin.co.uk

Wireless Phone Ext. A54AT

20. graham w

graham w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sinbrad,
    that is the one for all system.

21. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry, should have said get it cheaper here and just left it at that!

22. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, Guys these one for all phone extensions will work. They will work as long as you have it connected to an adsl filter. Even if you have adsl it will make no difference. Let's say your telephone is connected to the phone socket via a filter, you just replace your telephone cable with this extension kit. As long as you are not trying to get your adsl working through this extension then there will be no problem. As stated it only works with voice ie telephone. If you want an easy way to connect your sky box to the telephone line without trailing wires then this is for you. Don't get confused between adsl broadband and voice that is taken care of with the filter

23. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys, Here is another method that you might want to try, it's only just come on the marker.....

goto www.max.tv and do a search for max486

it's based on the principle of the oneforall but is that little bit better ie broadband