Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

BT connection charge

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Godzooky, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Godzooky

Godzooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading about Sky+ for a while now and was going to get it when I move into my new flat. Just rang BT and they want to charge a £74.99 connection charge as the property is a new build and has never had a BT connection before.

Has anyone come across this before? It seems like a lot of money for not a lot of work. The flat is already wired with BT phone sockets - how can they justify this charge? Do't understand why anyone would connect to BT at this price considering the great deals offered by local cable companies.

I did point this out to the sales assistant and asked her why the charge was so high - she just said that she didn't know and couldn't comment. I asked if they would consider my argument concerning the low cost of cable phonelines and she said they would not under any circunstances waive the charge.

Anyone come across this before/ have any thoughts or advice?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    This charge is not new and is in fact cheaper than it used to be. A friend was quoted a few years back of something like £120 :eek:
    I believe this charge is to cover the cost of an installation (like they wont make that back on what they charge you anyway :rolleyes: ) and anything left is then credited to your account and comes off your future bills, so not as bad as it seems.
    Check this out, but I'm sure that is what happened with my friend.

Mark.

3. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If your in and NTL area there connection is free at the moment

4. Godzooky

Godzooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help so far. I have found out that the flat is not connected to cable but I don't have to use BT. I can use another telephone provider.

Anyone have any idea's? Ideally the provider would have a good internet connection - ASDL - for XBox live:)

Again, thanks for your help.

5. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My advice would be to phone BT customer services and have someone breakdown what you get for that charge.

As a guess it would be for a BT engineer to come and connect and test the line.

Plus the administration of setting up your account.

6. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I may be mistaken, but to use another telephone provider (except for cable) you need a BT phone line in the first place.

Most of these 'other' providers re-route the calls and you are billed by them for the calls, but continue to pay BT for line rental.

I moved in a new house 4 1/2 years ago. Bt socket already on the wall - cost £100 to have it put on. Highway Robbery.

7. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Your new flat might have had internal cables prewired but how do you think the line gets there?

The Installation charges are for the exchange work and work on external line plant as well. A lot of new builds dont have sockets fitted either so an engineering visit is also needed.

Simon1 is correct. You need to have a physical line installed before you can start messing about with different suppliers.

Also adsl requires a physical bt line, although you can still use a different supplier for both the pstn service & broadband.

HTH

:)