BT broadband

jodenice

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just moved house and signed up for BT total broadband option 3 (should include free calls etc), apart from the fact its been a total farce (not actually signed up to bt broadband talk so can't make free calls, requested engineer, they just sent the modem by post, couldn't set up wireless, so a technical guy in bt technical based in india remote dialled into my computer and deleted various user options that I needed and they never signed me up for my free xbox wireless router)- in fact whoever did the account when I phoned just did the bare basics and couldn't be arsed to do any more.

Just got my bill and I've realised that not only am I paying quarterly for this fab wireless service with free calls (snort) but I'm also paying for a landline. My bt bill is huge! I presume the xbox and sky need the landline but it just seems such a rip off....anyone else use it and what are your bills like?

Jo

... Just got my bill and I've realised that not only am I paying quarterly for this fab wireless service with free calls (snort) but I'm also paying for a landline. My bt bill is huge! I presume the xbox and sky need the landline but it just seems such a rip off....anyone else use it and what are your bills like
... errr ... why didn't you realise this?

Have also signed up to it with a second BT line in my house, and all the stuff should be delivered on Monday ... though I am expensing it all to my employer

there was a thread about BT Broadband here: www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495224

i don't know - i think i thought that the quarterly bill for the bt broadband package would include the landline charges. I'll be less fussed when it all works i guess. :)

i don't know - i think i thought that the quarterly bill for the bt broadband package would include the landline charges. I'll be less fussed when it all works i guess. :)
If work wasn't paying, I'd not go with BT, but the feedback on that other thread about option 3 is fairly good as regards the the actual product/service

Just moved house and signed up for BT total broadband option 3 (should include free calls etc), apart from the fact its been a total farce (not actually signed up to bt broadband talk so can't make free calls, requested engineer, they just sent the modem by post, couldn't set up wireless, so a technical guy in bt technical based in india remote dialled into my computer and deleted various user options that I needed and they never signed me up for my free xbox wireless router)- in fact whoever did the account when I phoned just did the bare basics and couldn't be arsed to do any more.

Just got my bill and I've realised that not only am I paying quarterly for this fab wireless service with free calls (snort) but I'm also paying for a landline. My bt bill is huge! I presume the xbox and sky need the landline but it just seems such a rip off....anyone else use it and what are your bills like?

Jo

Yes - BT insist on bundling the regular landline rental/call bill in with the Broadband charge as a condition of taking the service. This pushes the monthly cost on the bill up by 11 quid at least.

Basically, BT broadband is one of the costliest services about. However, you do get a few freebies which may or may not be of value to you.

* Free wireless hub (with option 2 or 3) with integrated VoIP capability. The hardware isn't the greatest quality though and the wireless range seems quite short. I think you get a free DECT handset that can connect to the hub if you have option 3.

* BT Broadband Talk - a full VoIP phone service with it's own dedicated phone number and free UK weekend and evening calls. So basically a 'second voice line'.

* Loads of hours free (I forget how many) on BT Openzone.

* Free binary Usenet News access on an outsourced Giganews news server.

* Free Norton AV for a year. Though I think Norton is pretty rubbish.

So, not really a budget option given that you can get 'free' services from the likes of Talk Talk, Sky and Orange, but it also isn't devoid in the VFM stakes either. Depends how much use you'll get out of the bundled services.

As for setting the thing up, it was pretty easy in my case. I got the gear through the post six days after I ordered it. Plugged everything in on the day (being careful to make sure all telephones in the house had filter plugs attached) and waited for it to become active, which it did in the afternoon.

You get sent en email with a link that you need to follow in order to activate the BT Broadband talk.

I just did one of those speed test thingies on the internet and this is what it showed

Date 13/04/07 15:05:24
Speed Down 2351.23 Kbps ( 2.3 Mbps )
Speed Up 375.64 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk

pretty rubbish?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom