BT Broadband speed problem!, Any Help?

BIGJ99

Established Member
Reaction score
I am new to AV forums and this is my first post.

Right where do i start,
I am on BT broadband option 3 "Unlimited" and have been for the past 2 years without many problems, but a couple of weeks ago my speed just suddenly dropped overnight and its driving me round the bend trying to figure out why?

Before the speed dropped i was getting, on average, 5000-5500kbps, 6500kbps at my highest peak. Then suddenly, overnight, it has dropped to less than 500kbps (down) and 250kbps (up), which is really annoying as im a PS3 online gamer.

After checking all internal wiring, hub manager settings, firewall settings etc, i thought it might have been a problem with my HomeHub as i have had it for about 2 years. So i ordered the new HomeHub v2.0 ( the black one ), set it up, all working fine, no connection dropouts BUT the Speed still isn't there.
I have run numerous speed tests and they all come up with the same thing........around 500kbps.
My Main PC i connected through ethernet so shouldn't have many problems there, i just cant think of what might be wrong, unless its something wrong at the exchange, which is less than half a mile away.

Anyway i thought i would ask for help on here and get some intelligent answers first, before i ring the indian call center...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Have You tried www.speedtester.bt.com You need to try it normally, then plug the HH into the Test Socket of your Master Socket, Reboot the HH and try again.

What results do you get?

Last edited:
I am on Option 3 as well as am suffering the same effects, not to the same degree but it is still a big drop off. Daytime I used to get 5-7 Meg and about 2-3 at night. Now its 2-3 during the day and 1.5 at best after 5pm. I have a Hub 2.0 and have also tried my old Hub 1.0 and its still the same. I don't download a lot and I work Offshore so I am not here half the time anyway !!

I tried ringing the Call Centre and you might as well just give the money for the call to a Homeless guy and smack your head against the wall he is leaning against. At least the money will do some good doing that. I was told it was because "everyone starts using their Internet at 5pm in your area", after asking why this didn't explain the drop off in speed during the day I was told that "I have it wrong", there is no doubt that something is going on. I have just done a few tests on Speednet and on EVERY ONE the needle pegged at 3 Meg and wouldnt move past it .. and I tested it on four different servers. I went back and tested on Dublin and Maidenhead twice more and its the same .. its like the speed has been capped at 3 Meg.

The thing that really annoyed me was the guy in the Call Centre got right stroppy when I said that I might just cancel my direct debit and move elsewhere. Then he started telling me "I had better not do that" etc etc. BT are really hacking me off, in the past they cut off my internet because of a bank error in paying the debit. My BT account was 100 and odd quid in credit at the time. After this fiasco I am looking around for a better deal, BT need to buck up their service.

Beerhunter, these were the test results from speedtester.......

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
help.jpg
-provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 576 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 288 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 448 kbps

Hakagure, I know mate, im looking around myself at the moment for a new ISP, ringing the BT call center is no good, u might aswell talk to a brick wall.
I think if i cant get it sorted i will be switching. By reviews and reliability it will be o2 or BE broadband from now on.

Based on your previous readings you have a fault with (in order or likelihood): the line, the kit at the exchange, the modem in your router.

The line includes your internal telephone wiring which is why I suggested that you run the test in the Test Socket as well as the regular socket.

If you get the same result in the Test Socket, you need to call BT. Now we all know that the employees of the BT Call Centre have the networking skills and expertise of Kermit the Frog but there is nor way around this. I suggest that you go through the diags in their script carefully and politely.

Be aware that, in common with all ISPs, BT will try to avoid calling out Openreach because it costs them money so getting this fixed can take a while and you will need to be patient and FIRM with them.

I would give them about ten days to fix it and then I would write to the Chairman. (Address posted here umpteen times.)

Thanks for the advice beerhunter, i would have done a test on the test socket but.............i don't have one.
In my house i have really old wiring and do not have NTE5 master socket, instead i have the very old styling telephone socket, which is not a good start.
I think i will just get an engineer sent down to sort it all out, put new master socket in, wiring etc. once its done, its done and if my line doesn't stablize a good sync with the exchange between 3-10 days after that, then im pretty much f***ed.....erm..stumped.

In that case, apart for the Test Socket, my advice stands. However here is a little word of warning. When calling from a customer's premises some time back, I had to tell the BT Muppet THREE TIMES that there was no test Socket. Remember what I said about trying to remain polite but at the same time being FIRM.

Right beerhunter, just got off the phone with BT and i was told that it is not my phone line as they done a test when i was speaking to them.
Second, its not my equipment and after about 40 minutes i was told to get in touch with my local exchange.
This is really annoying because my uncle is on BT broadband and lives 2 doors away and as a matter of interest i did a speed test on his broadband on his PC, and all seems to be working fine for him. This now makes me wonder if it is an exchange fault because if there was, wouldn't it fudge his connection up aswell?

I am having similar issues with orange out of interest i asked a mate to run a speed test on his "upto 8meg" AOL connection came back at 1 meg up and 0.1meg down

Second, its not my equipment and after about 40 minutes i was told to get in touch with my local exchange.

Did they say how to contact the local exchange?

They didn't tell me how to contact them hornydragon.
Which now leaves me a little bit confused because i thought my local exchange was unmanned. Are they unmanned?

To beerhunter, by reading some of your previous posts on other topics/threads it seems that you are pretty clued up on how ADSL works, unlike myself. In my wide....ish knowledge of computing, networking and ISP stuff doesn't really scratch the surface.
As an avid PS3 online gamer, all i know is I NEED THE SPEED or experience sever "lag" issues, which is why this broadband problem is frustrating for me.

So with your wide range of knowledge of stuff like this, if there is any other connection stats of mine u could view to help me resolve this problem, just ask :smashin:

P.S- Apart from the test socket thing. :D

Having same problem, Started 3 weeks ago my speed dropped off big time, I used to get throughput of 6500 then it dropped to 3500 now its 3000, Went through the useless indian call center and after about 100 calls got a engineer out to test the line. He was getting 7.2meg on his test equipment so no problem there with my line or exchange. Got a call later saying they would send me a new hub which i got today and guess what.....no change.......still stuck at 3meg with only 2meg being the average. there is something going on with bt over this, too many people being affected with the same problem.....Keep getting an email from them saying my bill is due, well they aint getting a penny unless they sort this out!!!!!.

BT = :thumbsdow

Havn't posted for couple of days and here are my current speeds.......

help.jpg
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 448 kbps

As you can see, they are exactly the same.

And here is some other useful info.......

Line state Connected
Connection time 1 day, 11:28:58
Downstream 576 Kbps
Upstream 288 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up) 30.3 dB / 31.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 23.0 dB / 14.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 5.6 dBm / 11.1 dBm

I don't know what it all means really.

Last edited:
R
Sorry I but didn't spot his until today. What you have been told is complete round things. For example my local Exchange is a small brick hut with no people inside. Are you SURE that is what you were told? If so you need to get back to them and have another go. I told you that you needed the patience of Job because the ISPs do not like calling out Openreach.

That's what i was told beerhunter, "to get in touch with my local exchange".

I thought it seem quite odd, anyway i will have another go.:rolleyes:

BTW did you notice anything wrong with my stats?

Right, i have checked all internal wiring, got rid of the telephone extention lead which was to the router and replaced it with a 10m RJ11 broadband cable instead and here are my latest test results from speedtester.bt.........

help.jpg
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 213 kbps

My IP throughput seems to be lower:confused:

Does anyone think i might have a stuck IP profile?

You do not have stuck IP Profile. It is in line with your DSL Connection Rate.

Just an observation. In my experience, the difference between a telephone extension lead and an 'RJ11 Broadband Cable' is a label on the latter that says: 'RJ11 Broadband Cable'.

Cheers beerhunter. I am getting at the end of my tether now, its really winding me up because i can't seem to think where about's the problem may be. Somehow i don't think it will ever get fixed......and when i got my new HomeHub i signed up for another 12 months, which i'm starting to regret a little bit, i don't want to change ISP because i quite like BT and never had any problems up until now.

P.S - By looking at my connection stats, do they give any indication to you, what you think may be the problem?

Last edited:
Your noise margin doesn't look good. You need to call BT.

BTW, have you removed the ring wires from the back of your Master Socket.

Yes i only have wires 2 and 5 connected in the mastersocket beerhunter.

I thought it might have been a problem at my exchange, BUT, after running a speed test at my uncle's house, who only lives 2 doors away, his speed seems fine. He's getting about 6mbps downstream. ( with BT )
So if there was a problem at the exchange, would it affect him aswell?

Plus i just got off the phone with BT india and i was told that they would have to ring me back tommorow because their "troubleshooting tools ARE NOT WORKING at the moment".
I've never heard such rubbish!

So if there was a problem at the exchange, would it affect him aswell?
Nope. You could have a fault with: your Line, your DSLAM port at the exchange, and/or any of the connections between them and that would all be unique to you.

Thanks for the advice beerhunter.
Just got off the phone with BT india again, i was polite but firm and at the end of it after they done another line test, they think there is a problem at the exchange, so you were right.
They said i will be contacted by BT Wholesale within 3 days and have an engineer sent down to the servers to resolve the matter.
I will keep posting to let you know how i get on.

SPEED FIXED!!!

I had a guy from BT openreach come round this morning, he tried the speed through his laptop and after a few tests this is what he thought...
He said that my speed had been capped due to connection keep dropping out and that he thought because i had replaced the extention lead with a 10m broadband lead, apparently i had cleared the fault myself but the cap was never lifted :confused: ( don't really understand but who cares now ).

These are my latest speed results from speedtester.bt............

help.jpg
Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6616 kbps

Its all good :smashin:.............for now.

P.S:- Many thanks to beerhunter for all his help and support in my quest to solve the bt speed crisis.
:lesson: Everyone should listen to his advice because he knows what he's on about. Cheers mate :clap::clap::clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom