• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

bt broadband hub

batManik

Standard Member
Hey all, I plan to get an xbox 360 soon (just waiting for that price drop!) and in the mean time am considering various broadband offers. One offer I'm considering is BT, which offers a broadband hub, I just wanted to know if anyone already had this and if it is compatible with the xbox, and what you would need. Also how reliable is BT, and they have a 6GB usage, would that hinder the xbox live experience at all??

Any help would be appreciated

CeeJay775

No mate i have the 6gb allowence and i have never had a problem, only just got the hub and have to still conect it with the cables, so i don't know about the wireless yet.

avolee

i`ve had this since friday, not a problem has been had and i have the 40gig allowance with it. i believe the wireless adapter is excellent with this(one of the reasons i got it) although still a bit pricey at 60quid.

andrewrunagall

batManik said:
Hey all, I plan to get an xbox 360 soon (just waiting for that price drop!)

It's gonna be a very long time B4 MS drops the price of the 360, being half the price of a PS3, why should they?

I'm just waiting for my Hub to arrive on the 31st July.

NackNack

Banned
They might not drop the price for ages, what they are doing though is bundling games with systems and there are some really good deals around right now. :)

I wouldn't bother with BT personally, Nildram and Zen are really good if you're looking for ADSL, and suprisingly NTL have been good for me lately, I have 10Mb and it's £34.99 a month, 4Mb is £24.99 a month. Both packages are half price for the first three months too!

Trist

I'm due to get the hub in a week and a bit. Apparently the internet phone that also came free in the deal had been delayed so they're sending another temporary wireless phone in the meantime to use again that's totally free for you to keep! Then they’ll send the other "official" one once when it’s ready. Not so bad :)

I don’t think there will be any problems with compatibility with the 360, they seem to be actively promoting each other so I’m sure its something that they’ve got sorted. In fact if you sign up here (http://www.bt.com/xboxlive/) they’ll send you a 12 LIVE membership code.

… I’ve managed to get myself a little confused with the whole wireless thing and I hope some of the experts on here can help me with… being a newbie to wireless internet bare with me.

Previously my setup was getting broadband though my PC on a USB modem and then running an Ethernet cable through to the Xbox 360 in the other room to share the internet, MP3’s and pictures. I managed to get it all working and I was pretty happy with the setup. It was a little annoying to have to turn the PC on all the time but no major hastle.

I’ve now moved to new flat with my girlfriend and I’ve decided to give wireless a shot as she’ll be using her laptop a lot (being a teacher) and moving around... so wireless seems to make sense. Now here’s where I get a little confused…

I’m planning to setup the BT Hub and link everything wirelessly… my girlfriend already had a wireless card in her laptop so that shouldn’t be a problem, I’ll need to get a wireless card or USB adapter for my PC as it hasn’t got one…. I was looking at this that looks like it should do the job just fine (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...9275644?v=glance&n=560798&s=gateway&v=glance).

Still with me? Anyway… now onto the bit where I’m not sure what to do… Should I link the Xbox 360 wirelessly to the BT Buh using the official adapter (or would another one of the Netgear WG111 USB adapters work) or should I stick with an Ethernet cable for better performance streaming media?

I’m planning to use the media functions in Vista to play videos off my PC so should I link it with an Ethernet cable? And if I do that… does that mean that I’ve got to have my PC on to access LIVE?

… I’m getting confused…

Any help untangling my mind would be greatly appreciated!
:thumbsup:

ShadowmanUK

If your planning to stream vids, especially HD, you need to use Ethernet really. You dont need your PC on to play on live, only when actually streaming content from the PC>

Trist

ShadowmanUK said:
If your planning to stream vids, especially HD, you need to use Ethernet really. You dont need your PC on to play on live, only when actually streaming content from the PC>
Ok, just to make sure I’ve got this right.

I should have the wireless adapter to connect to connect the 360 to BT Hub, and then the Ethernet cable running from the 360 to the PC to stream my media content. Correct?

Sorry… I’m a bit slow with this stuff
:)

Rian1988

Trist said:
Ok, just to make sure I've got this right.

I should have the wireless adapter to connect to connect the 360 to BT Hub, and then the Ethernet cable running from the 360 to the PC to stream my media content. Correct?

Sorry… I'm a bit slow with this stuff
:)

No i think he means (PC)-----Ethernet cable----(Bt Hub)----Ethernet----(360)

But only if you want to stream video, I use all wireless to stream music and it works dandy!

Trist

jstw said:
No i think he means (PC)-----Ethernet cable----(Bt Hub)----Ethernet----(360)

But only if you want to stream video, I use all wireless to stream music and it works dandy!
Ahhh.... I get you now!
:thumbsup:

Excellent!

Cheers for the help people!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom