BT Broadband are lowering speeds on my contact, are they allowed?

The Dark Horse

I was sent an email by BT about the new Halo 3+ packages, out of curiosity I looked and noticed the package I'm on (Fibre 1) the speeds they advertise for me are slower than they used to be. The download speeds are shown as 35-39mb (used to be 50mb), the upload speeds now say 2-3mb (they used to be around 8mb) and the stay fast guarantee speed is now 32mb (used to be 40mb). Anyone else noticed this and can they lower the speeds mid-contract?

Last edited:

outoftheknow

I suspect the contract doesn’t include a speed guarantee for 24/7 delivery. You contract to the plans and speed is best effort. Of course they will likely have plans with a service level agreement (SLA) but those come with a price to reflect that.

The Dark Horse

I suspect the contract doesn’t include a speed guarantee for 24/7 delivery. You contract to the plans and speed is best effort. Of course they will likely have plans with a service level agreement (SLA) but those come with a price to reflect that.

Ok thank you, I just googled it and others complaining of the same issue, doesn't seem to be a lot you can do about it. Doesn't seem right to me that they can reel you in with speeds that then drop but hardly surprising.

The cynic in me thinks its all deliberate to get you to upgrade the package.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The fact that the minimum estimates have also changed suggests it's likely due to work or more traffic on the Openreach infrastructure used by lots of ISPs, rather than something implemented by your ISP specifically (BT Retail).

If ISP implemented speed drops are normally hard caps and your minimum estimates would have stayed the same or been set to the speed cap - whichever was lower.

e.g. Notice how the lower packages have the same minimum and maximum estimates:
1620753433139.png

If BT Retail wanted to provide you with the same speed they'd have to move you onto a different infrastructure, and the VDSL you're currently on is the fastest connection available in most places.

The Dark Horse

The fact that the minimum estimates have also changed suggests it's likely due to work or more traffic on the Openreach infrastructure used by lots of ISPs, rather than something implemented by your ISP specifically (BT Retail).

If ISP implemented speed drops are normally hard caps and your minimum estimates would have stayed the same or been set to the speed cap - whichever was lower.

e.g. Notice how the lower packages have the same minimum and maximum estimates:
View attachment 1509922

If BT Retail wanted to provide you with the same speed they'd have to move you onto a different infrastructure, and the VDSL you're currently on is the fastest connection available in most places.

I am getting different offers to these, the only options I'm getting are for "Full Fibre" deals, with minimum 30mb upload or 73mb uploads. Too expensive for my needs so it looks like I'm stuck with the reduced speeds on my old 'Fibre' deal. I'm not sure if that means I can only get 'Full Fibre' if I want to change packages or if thats all they show me online.

Stompa

I was sent an email by BT about the new Halo 3+ packages, out of curiosity I looked and noticed the package I'm on (Fibre 1) the speeds they advertise for me are slower than they used to be. The download speeds are shown as 35-39mb (used to be 50mb), the upload speeds now say 2-3mb (they used to be around 8mb) and the stay fast guarantee speed is now 32mb (used to be 40mb). Anyone else noticed this and can they lower the speeds mid-contract?
I'm on Fibre 1, and the speeds they're currently advertising for me are actually very slightly faster than those on my existing contract.

The Dark Horse

I'm on Fibre 1, and the speeds they're currently advertising for me are actually very slightly faster than those on my existing contract.

Interesting. I pretended to be a new customer and used the BT site to look at what they offer. I entered my postcode and house number and it only offers me 'Full Fibre' FTTP deals. However if I use my two neighbours addresses either side of me (that I know don't have BT), this says I can get the same 'Fibre 1' FFTC package that I'm currently on, albeit with the speeds I used to get (8-9mb upload and 40-50mb download). These speeds have dropped for me to 2-3mp upload and 35-39mb download.

So to me this looks like BT have purposely cut my speed, otherwise why are my neighbours being offered the same FFTC package I'm currently on, but with faster speeds?

Last edited:

drummerjohn

The speed data is constantly updated by property based on sync speed stats as negotiated by the equipment.
Example: A user has run an extension cable badly and they plant the router on the end of it and the sync speed is affected over a prolonged period then 6 months later when you go to check availability on BT website those speeds will have dropped to reflect the prolonged negotiated sync speed.

The Dark Horse

The speed data is constantly updated by property based on sync speed stats as negotiated by the equipment.
Example: A user has run an extension cable badly and they plant the router on the end of it and the sync speed is affected over a prolonged period then 6 months later when you go to check availability on BT website those speeds will have dropped to reflect the prolonged negotiated sync speed.

That makes sense, my setup is the same as its always been though, just slower than it used to be.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
That makes sense, my setup is the same as its always been though, just slower than it used to be.
It’s entirely possible that increased uptake has reduced your speed.
Check the Openreach availability at BT Broadband
That will give you details of what your line is capable of. BT retails numbers include a healthy dose of caution so that they don’t offer higher speeds than are likely in my experience.
If the two circled numbers are in the same range, your line is doing all it can.
121CEB9F-3015-4CBE-9146-5C64B672AE52.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom