1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT ADSL Network Question....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Moncs, May 9, 2003.

1. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys....

A friend of mine currently has his PC running with BT ADSL via a USB connection.

He wants to transfer his bb to a server, and let the other 4 PC's in his house access BB. Since it is a USB connection will he require a ADSL router? or is there another way as he already has a hub and does not really want to buy any more kit.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    He will need to use a router or internet connection sharing. ICS is only really viable for 2 PCs, so a router is the only option.

Personally I recommend the Netgear DG814, very reliable and simple to set up, costs around a 100 quid.

3. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice Sinzer... he wants a 16-port hub as well, will the Netgear DG814 allow PC's on the network to access the server as well as BB?

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    It depends on the set up really.

If he wants that many PCs he may be better off looking at a Linux server (Windoze if you are into that sort of thing :) ), I assume this is what he has?

As long as there is a modem attached to the server all PCs can share the connection fine, that way he would not need any extra hardware apart from the hub to support it all.

Most home networks tend to be P2P, if the guy has a server he should be able to set it up no problems with no need for a router.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you can add a 8 way, 16 way etc network hub to the DG814 (with a crossover cable) so that'll allow further expansion.

So you'll have your 3 way on the DG814, plus whatever sized hub on the 4th connector.

I've got a DG814.

6. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is an alternative to the router in the form of an old, perhaps redundant PC running a Linux kernel and some router software from a floppy. Anything will do the job from a 486 upwards. You can then plug the server/hub in to it and away you go.

If this of interest, have a look at FREESCO :

http://www.freesco.org/

It's free, pretty powerful and very simple to set up.

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    An old PC (with USB port) running IPCop is a good solution for sharing BT ADSL with USB modem - assuming you have the Alcatel greeny/blue "frog" modem.

Look at www.ipcop.org