Bset DVD Recordef for everyday use

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chiastic, Sep 18, 2004.

1. chiastic

chiastic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure that this has been asked before, but I need some good advice on buying a reliable DVD Recorder. I have recently purchased a Philips 28PW9617/O5 (100Mhz 28 inch Pixel Plus Widescreen), and I am looking to initially buy a DVD Recorder (around £400-450) for recording from the TV and playing pre-recorded DVD's . I have seen that the advice is not to touch Philips DVD Recorders, but Pioneer, Panasonic and Toshiba are all recommended. I plan to add an AV Amp, Speakers and a Freeview box over the next few months. Also, do DVD recorders give the same quality of playback as a noral DVD Player. All advice welcome.
    Thanks

2. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I like the Panasonic E85 & Toshiba XS32 at around that price range. Panny is easiest to use IMHO although the Tosh has more features. That said I have just written down and taught my wife how to use the Tosh. She did comment she thought the Panny I tried first was easiest to use.

Within that price range definetly go for one with built in HDD. For day to day use/quick record without finding blank disks, it's just so easy :thumbsup:

Regards

Jerry

3. stuartdcodd

stuartdcodd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips had problems with their first generation recorders but I think the second ones are OK - check out the HDRW720 hard disk one with Guide Plus

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Every generation of Philips DVD recorders have had severe problems: Disk Error problems have caused a virtual 100% failure of their 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation machines (the DVDR1000 Mk I/II, 9xx models and 880/890 series) and these continued into their fourth generation models (the DVDR70/75 albeit not as extensively as the previous series - although that could be because insufficient time has elapsed).

However the DVDR70/75 have been hit by new problems in addition to disc errors largely due to the dirt cheap components used such as low grade flash memory causing lockups. Other frequent symptoms in recent models include failure to play back some disks, fussy about BRANDED media (!), occassional-frequent lip sync problems ( :eek: ), over exposure on recordings and lost/failed recordings.

If your in doubt it just checkout some recent threads, e.g. here, here or here - all refering to the "reliable" generation of machine! And given the minority of Philips owners on this forum perhaps you'd like to checkout other forums (even the OFFICIAL plus forum) for anti-Philips comments! Even better do a Google search!

Avoid Philips DVD recorders like the plague. Very few long term owners of Philips DVD recorders have anything good to say about them... :thumbsdow

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    I've had the Pan 85 for a few months now and am well pleased with it. The menu's are a little slow, but that's about it really. Definitely recommend it. :)

6. stuartdcodd

stuartdcodd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am an owner of an 880 for 22 months, I had one problem after 6 months. It was sent for repair and has been OK ever since. I now also have an HDRW720. It's too early too talk about its reliability. I personally know 2 owners of R80's who have had them for about 9 months and no sign of a problem.

My generation numbers were mixed up. I meant R70 series onwards.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    All the posts I linked to refer to problems with that generation of recorder (DVDR70, DVDR75, DVDR80). The DVDR80 is also distinguished as the only DVD recorder every to have a FULL Helpline double spread in What Video magazine!!! The HDRW is the same generation as the DVDR70/75/80 series so will likely suffer the same problems. Perhaps the HDRW will be the first reliable Philips DVD recorder - but I wouldn't bank on it. As others have pointed out - there are much better options out there.

8. stuartdcodd

stuartdcodd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We will wait to find out about the HDRW's reliability then. However if it does turn out to be reliable then it does have its advantages in certain areas. I also know it has its disadvantages as well. It just depends what you need an HDD/RW for.

9. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is Philips DVDR610 troublesome? I have put my name down for one at the local sainsbury who are/were selling them at £99-99

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Given Philips track record I would suggest the answer is probably going to be yes - it has the same internals as the DVDR70 (as are ALL of Philips current models) which has had it's fair share of problems. Nobody can answer for sure but I would be surprised if in 6 months time we don't start seeing Disk Error problems from 6xx series owners. So my advice would be to cancel and get a more reliable model.

Many online retailers have ceased selling Philips models due to the endless problems.