1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSB 500 or DT 300 Sub Amp?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by jpwhaley, Nov 18, 2003.

1. jpwhaley

jpwhaley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simple question, which one is best in terms of sound quality? BKElec BSB500 or the Class - D, DT300? Has anyone been able to do a side by side comparison?

2. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jpwhaley,

Not sure about SQ, but BigToe reckons that the BSBs might be better built.

Personally, i've got a DT300 driving my DPL12 sub. I'm pretty happy with it, but must admit that the speaker connection cables seem to be pretty weedy. However, it's been turned on 24hrs a day since the end of June, and i've never had any heat or reliability problems.

Main reason I went for the DT300 was for the bass compensation feature, but I must admit i've never got around to trying out all of the alternative settings 'in room'.

Sorry, the above probably doesn't help you, but thought i'd pass on my experience.

Regards

3. BigToe

BigToe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I haven't had chance to compare the two together myself, but from what the guy at BK Electronics tells me the BSB amps are built a lot better than the DT300.

As far as sound quality is concerned he said there wouldn't be much noticeable difference between the two, but this is always subjective. If you check out the frequency response of both amps, you'll notice that the BSB goes down to a crazy 3Hz, whilst the DT300 can be configured to drop to 18Hz and anything lower than that rolls off with a very steep curve. Whether this is any use to you or not is another thing.

I get the impression that the BSB may be able to handle raw mid-bass a bit better too. My DT300 has trouble when it comes to slamming out mid-bass at full power and will cut out when it becomes too much. I read somewhere that Class-D amplifiers are better suited to pure bass (although I think there are some full-range Class-D amps becoming available now) so maybe this has something to do with it?

I think if it came down to it, I would choose a British Sub Bass amplifier over the DT300. This is not to say I am unimpressed with the DT300 - it does make my sub sound incredible!

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I sold my BSB500, of the four plate amps I owned I rated the BSB500 third in terms of sound quality, bettered by the DT110 mkII and the Hypex HS200.

5. jpwhaley

jpwhaley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help, currently I have a BSB500 & an ACI SV 12 driver in a 4 cu ft sealed enclosure but was thinking of upgrading. I am now thinking that getting a new driver might be a better option. GaryG, I know you have tried the ACI SV 12, would upgrading to a Shiva make much difference or maybe a vented enclsoure? My current setup just seems a bit slow.

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you done a plot of the frequency response of your sub? 'Slowness' may be attributed to room resonance, in which case a BFD would be a better bet to equalise the response. There is a slight difference between the Shiva and SV12, not enough to justify swapping in my opinion, you would be better off going for a 15" driver if you were thinking of changing.

One advantage you have is that the BSB500 is a very powerful amplifier, I would consider getting a Linkwitz Transform to boost the low frequency response of your sealed cabinet. A BFD can do this to a certain extent by the use of a house curve but it can't transform the Q of the sub. LT details here:

http://www.trueaudio.com/st_lkxfm.htm

You can get the bits from here:
    http://sound.westhost.com/project71.htm

If you don't mind travelling you could bring your sub over to my house and we could try a Shiva in it (if it will fit) to see what you think. I also have a BFD and a Linkwitz Transform that you could have a listen to as well.

7. jpwhaley

jpwhaley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The theoritcal Q is the System is 0.7 but I know that room resonance has a lot of effect. The Linkwitz Transform does seem a good way of getting lower frequencies (or allow me to make the box smaller). I think I need to invest in a sound pressure meter to get an accurate in room response of the system and see how much the room is effecting the sound.

8. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have one of the Elliott Linkwitz project 71 PCBs, which I've never got round to using, so if you go that route, and want to save the postage charge from Oz, let me know.

9. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,528
    Wow, a whole new language! Wish I could speak / understand Subwoofer-ish...

10. jpwhaley

jpwhaley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Richard, I would like to take you up on that off of the PCB. Do you want to send me a Private Message to sorf out the details?