1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BS or not BS?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by caleb, Mar 29, 2005.

1. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Having been a member of this forum now for a few months I have heard people wax lyrical about this cable and that cable.

Now let's be honest - as regards a sub woofer cable (RCA to RCA) is there really any difference in this versus a regular RCA to RCA interconnect or it is just a load of B/S being spoken?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Whether or not there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality between a good sub cable and a poor one I don't know as I have never conducted comparative tests but one of the important aspects of a more expensive sub cable is that the shielding should be better and with the number of complaints here about subwoofer hum it should make the more expensive sub cables better for that alone.

I have a fairly cheap Ixos sub cable fitted to mine and a much better cable sitting in a drawer waiting to be tried out. One of these days I will make the effort.

3. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I had a really cheap low quality interconnect and it wouldn't send a signal over 5 metres, a higher quality one was much better, I knew this by the levels at which I had to have the receiver set to kick off the sub's auto-switch-on feature.

Noticed no difference in sound quality.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Look back at previous posts in this forum - there's plenty of stuff already posted on this subject. I just haven't the time to do it all again (sigh !) :)

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Caleb – sub cables to me are where the biggest pile of cable hype/BS is opined in RCA terms, when you consider must sub cables in RCA terms are actually 5m+ ie the QED Sub cables and do their job perfectly well. Its funny to see how a 1m RCA cable can be “better” than any other but so it occurs, its daft IMHO & IMPE but “what people want to hear bears more in relation to what they actually hear” if you catch my drift.

FWIW I have experimented with a few different sub cables – 5m Prolink RCA job, 1m DIY Pure Silver ICs with Audusa Locking RCAs & these 1.5m Digital coaxials with lockable RCAs :

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PH404.html £5.99 x 2 + PP = £14.

All via the pre-outs of my Primare A30.1 into the L&R low levels of my KEF, no difference at all from any of them. Ive kept the Tvcables ones ourely for length away from my amp. Others MMV of course. But that’s my experience. PS I’d love to hear about a blind test of subwoofer cables, when you consider that type of test in cabling (which Ive done and failed on numerous ICs never mind sub cables) it highlights how much hype pervades cabling in audiophile hifi/AV circles.

IMHO of course.