Bryston ST, SST and prices

Daneel

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My cousin has just moved to Canada and is already bugging me to visit him. I'm considering going and picking up a Bryston while I'm there. I ran a quick web search but I can't find the retail or 2nd hand price in Canada for this stuff. I'd be looking for a 4B ST or SST. That is the other area I need help with.

Has anyone heard both and care to make a comparison? Are there any other amps I should be looking at? I'm not in a rush for this, I wouldn't be going until summer but I like to be prepared :)

I really should get new speakers before this but a trip to Canada and the potential savings may convince me otherwise. Oh, does anyone know if I pick one up 2nd hand in Canada can I get Bryston, either there or here to alter it for UK operation? Any suggestions how much that would cost me?

Thanks

Daneel

Best bet would be to contact pmc who are bryston's uk distributer and see how much they quote you.Would imagine it would be expensive to change it to 240v as it would need to go back to canada so might be better to look for a second hand uk unit here.

The plan was to get the change made in Canada to save such hassle.

Not sure about Canada but in the US you can specify the voltage before you order - however if it's not 110v there is a 10% surcharge. Probably better off doing it this way rather than bringing back a 110v and then getting it modified out of factory. I am sure I was told that prices in the US are cheaper than Canada.

Better make it along holiday as i think the turn around for changes and upgrades is a minimum of 10 days after it reaches the factory.Will be putting in my sp1 next week to get it upgraded to sp1.7 and thats the time factor i was told from james tanner of bryston.

Could also post the question over at www.audiocircle.com in the bryston/pmc section were james will probably reply to you.

Really rags? I was under the opposite impression, not surprising given Bryston is a Canadian company. If you know for sure though, prices would be great.

would be interested to in price's/ places

I spoke to Bryston direct. They confirmed the 10% surcharge. I assume that all the manufacturing is done in Canada so I would think that if you can specify UK voltage in the US you can also do the same in Canada.

Not sure about Canadian prices but thats what I was told. I was really concentrating on the 9BSST and not the 4BSST. I recall a UK voltage 9bSST was just under $4,800 pre discount (this was a few months ago).

Just got an email response to my post on some US forums.

I've paid my brand new 4BSST 2000$ cdn, so around 1400-1500$ US. I think it's probably around half the best price you could have in the US.

I believe we have a winnar. :clap:

I knew we were getting ripped off here in the UK but damn that's a big difference. UK list is over £2000 no?

Rags, that link shows the 9B SST to be slightly cheaper in Canada unless my calculation is off. 1.31 CAN = 1 USD so 4,295 USD is 5,657 CAN. Obviously you are correct with the SP1.7 though.

Assuming what the guy who emailed me says is correct, and I can't see a reason it shouldn't be, you must be able to wangle quite a discount from the dealers in Canada.

Daneel - Thats the point im making - if the 9BSST is so close and the SP1.7 so much cheaper in the US then how can a 4BSST be half the price in Canada - unless Bryston have a weird pricing policy for the 4BSST in particular which I somehow doubt.

If we assume the list price is similar then this guy has wangled 50% off in Canada - Mr Bryston must be his uncle !!

I don't have an answer for that Rags. I got my opinion about Bryston being cheaper in Canada than the US from a number of posts on US forms. Now that I have asked the question directly we shall see what a typical price is in each country.

To be honest it doesn't matter to me which country is cheaper, I can visit either. All I care about is how much it costs in comparison to buying one here. If I can get close to the price that guy says he paid then my trip is just about paid for by the saving. :D

The thing is the price should be pretty similar world wide. There is no justicifation for the same items being cheaper in the US than here, once VAT is taken into account. One of the reasons I didn't go for a Rotel 1075 was price, $999 in the US, £845 here and typically you can get more off at a dealer in the US than you can here.

By the way, did you ever listen to a Bryston? What swung you towards the Parasound instead?

I've had a look on some sale forums in Canada. The 4B ST is being advertised 2nd hand for 1300 to 1700 CAN depending on age. I'm finding that 2k CAN price hard to believe now.

Hi Daneel,

I live in Canada and can tell you that I find it hard to believe that a new 4BSST can be had for around $2000 CAN. Used 4BSST’s are hard to come by but you might want to checkout http://www.canuckaudiomart.com There are a few used 4BST's If your speakers are not too difficult to drive look at the 3BSST, I have heard from people that it sounds even smoother.

Good luck with the search. By the way what does a Tri-Vista 21 run in the UK?

Regards,

Eric

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom