1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bryston SP1 or 1.7

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by GreenEagle, Apr 28, 2003.

1. GreenEagle

GreenEagle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone know where I can get either of this as ex-demo or second hand.

I thank you in advance.

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Hah! You'll be lucky. I've been looking for a second hand one of those for months. In all that time I've found one second-hand SP1 for sale - just too late.

I suggest you try calling Lintone Audio in Gateshead and/or The HiFi Hut in Harrogate and if if they can quote you a good price on a new one.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Isn't the upgraded SP1.7 out soon, ( 192khz / 24 ), may release a couple of demo units into the market ?
    www.audio-excellence.co.uk usually list second-hand and ex-demonstration items on their website.

4. GreenEagle

GreenEagle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The SP1.7 is already out but don't have the type of money to get a new one.
    My plan is to get the SP1 and upgrade it to the SP1.7 at a later date.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry, I mean to say the upgraded SP1.7 may release demo units of previous SP1.7. :)

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I hadn't actually heard about this alleged upgrade - can you give us a link, gringotts?

The DACs in the SP1.7 are already 192kHz-capable, so I would speculate that if there is a 24/192 upgrade in the works, it will most likely be software-only, and hence not result in any ex-demo models hitting the retail channel.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nic B,
    A thread on a different forum regarding Motorola 56367 DSP Engine and the DACs in SP1.7.
    Question asked about 192Khz Digital Input Sample Rate into SP1.7 , response that a different Digital Circuit Board is being fitted to newer production units to enable this, shipping costs were quoted from U.S. to Canada for upgrading too.
    I can't remember where and have no link, sorry, I hope you are correct anyway, maybe just a rumour.
    If it is hardware though it would prompt dealers to demo latest version ?

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Well, perhaps. There aren't very many dealers who actually have a demo SP1.7. Even most of the stores that actually sell Bryston kit haven't got a demo unit.

There's also the question of whether it would actually sound better using anything other than 192kHz source material. With the Tag McLaren AV32R the 192kHz DACs in more recent versions aren't just 192kHz-capable, they're also actually better than the previous version - sound nicer. So even if you aren't listening to 192kHz material, it may be worth the upgrade. In the case of the SP1.7 the DACs themselves probably won't change, so it's less obvious that there will be an immediate improvement in sound quality. And if there isn't, then there would be no reason for shops to swap out their demonstration unit.

I would appreciate a link to the discussion thread on the other forum - sounds interesting.

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Good points as always.
    Will post a link if I find it again.

10. jethro

jethro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked with James Tanner at Bryston regarding the 192 kHz sample rate and he said 192 KHz is not currently available.

For those looking for SP-1's or 1.7's, have you tried audiogon. I'm not familiar with import charges, taxes, and exchange in the UK, but there is usually at least one SP-1.7 for sale.

For those looking to buy SP-1's and upgrade, I have a feeling the supply of SP-1's is drying up. There were a lot of bargains on SP-1's when the SP-1.7 was announced but that seems to have dropped off. If you can afford it, starting with the SP-1.7 may be cheaper. You will have to pay shipping two ways to upgrade the SP-1, and the new remote is really a must. I bought my SP-1 used and had it upgraded. It ended up costing me almost as much as buying an SP-1.7 outright. The SP-1.7 is well worth it for the improvement in 2-channel digital stereo and the NEO:Cinema mode.

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks jethro :)

12. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The DACS in the SP1.7 are capable of operating at 192kHz in hardware terms, it's just that the software does not currently enable it.

Audiogon is all very well, but you need to remember that Bryston processors do not have universal power supplies, so running an american one off a UK mains socket can be a bit finicky. And import duties suck. :( In my experience you often end up paying pounds for dollars on anything imported from the U.S.

13. jethro

jethro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooops, I forgot about the difference in the mains voltage. I guess I wasn't much help after all. Sorry.