Bryston SP1.7 DSP upgrade ?

jradley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Searching the archives here I found some mention that there may be plans to upgrade the Bryston SP1.7 with a new DSP chipset.

Before I spend my hard earned cash on one of the current units I'm wondering if anyone has any more info as to when the upgraded models may hit the streets ?

(I posted this question on the AudioCircle forum too, but have got no answers from there so far).

Cheers,

John

I heard from a dealer in the States that an upgrade will be out in about late summer. Not sure what will change though - Nic B mentioned something about a TI DSP engine in an earlier thread.

As you already found out on audiocircle the planned upgrade is still some time off. Reading between the lines they are probably waiting to include a high bandwidth digital connection The upgraded model will probably cost substantially more.

Bryston tend to price their upgrade at exactly the difference in price between the older and newer models. In the mean time you can enjoy hires formats using the SP1.7s bypass which is the best I have heard.

I recently demoed a Pioneer AX5i and a 868 connected by i-link (firewire) in my own system and was quite surprised how good it sounded. The AX5i didn't have anywhere near the power required to drive my speakers, but for that money I doubt you could beat it.

The Bryston/Arcam combo was so much better using the analog connections, so I look forward to the upgraded SP1.7.

I'm now thinking about importing my 7B SSTs due to the recent Bryston price rise (20%) in this case. Looks like the SST range cost more to develop than they thought.

I know you were thinking about doing this too. I found out it costs $400 (US) each for Bryston to change the mode to 230v. I might be in Canada in May so this could result in significant savings. I also found a US dealer willing to supply factory 230v amps, anyone know how much excess I would have to pay to bring these back as luggage (50kg)?

If this works out cheaper than the normal UK dealers I will email the members who have asked me where to get Bryston gear.

if you book yourself a club class seat, you wouldnt have too much worry about the weight, when you pay that much on a seat they dont really care what you bring! Air canada are better than BA in this respect

ad

Very useful info buns.:smashin:

Thanks

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

Thanks for the heads up. It was really spooky - seconds after posting here I got the replies on audiocircle after days of nothing.

I realise there will be an upgrade path - however, I know I can get discount on list price when buying equipment, but don't know if the same applies to upgrades. Also, the second hand value of the SP1.7 could fall through the floor if (when) they release a new product.

That said I think I will go for it anyway and hope I can afford the upgrade when it happens.

BTW, I got quoted £2300 for a 7B-SST - I think I can get this lower too. I don't know if this is a particulalry good quote and/or if it's any use to you - if it is drop me a PM or e-mail.

Cheers,

John

I realise there will be an upgrade path - however, I know I can get discount on list price when buying equipment, but don't know if the same applies to upgrades.

I agree you will not get a discount on the upgrade.

Also, the second hand value of the SP1.7 could fall through the floor if (when) they release a new product

Processors depreciated quite alot over time, the Bryston has the 20 year warranty to help curve this. Buying now will help you spread the cost and enjoy it right away.

BTW, I got quoted £2300 for a 7B-SST - I think I can get this lower too. I don't know if this is a particulalry good quote and/or if it's any use to you - if it is drop me a PM or e-mail.

As I'm currently looking for a projector and finishing the basement, I really have to watch the pennys on the 7Bs. So I will cost out the import option and if isn't lower than £2000.00 each I will try your dealer.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom