Bryston SP1.7/Denon 2900 problem

T

tmcevoy

Hi
Well the Bryston finally arrived , and I connected everything up.
The Cd and tuner work fine but I can't get the Denon to work on DVD or SACD
I have connected the coaxial out on the Denon to the DVD coax on the Bryston
and I have connected the 5.1channel analog input RIGHT/LEFT
RSURR/LSURR on the Bryston to FR1/FL1/SR/SL Audio out on the Denon
But when I put on a DVd or Sacd it looks like its playing fine but theres no sound
If anyone has a similar setup and can advise where I'm going wrong the help would be much appreciated
Thanks a lot
Tony

Hi Tony,

Firstly, the digital input. When the Denon looks like it's playing, does the digital LED on the Bryston light up green or red? If it lights up red press the digital button to help the processor "search" for the digital signal, when it lights up green it is receiving the signal.

Second, when trying to playback SACD, I assume you are pressing bypass? (You will have to press it twice so that the LED is orange to activate 5.1 bypass).

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi Steve
It lights up red , when you press the Dig button it goes off , press it again and it goes red
On the LCD screen it says PL11 FILM
SIGNAL : ANALOG

Okay, so now we know the digital signal isn't "getting through". In that case, have you configured the Denon correctly to output via the digital coaxial connection?

On the Denon Audio Setup
I have it configured as

Audio Channel - Multi Channel
SACD - Multi
Digital Out - Normal
LPCM - Off

Thanks
Tony

What other options are there on the denon for digital out? ( don't have a denon so am not familiar with their setup.)

On the Bryston, the coaxial digital in is used by default - If op1 or op2 have been selected instead, they will overide the digital coax.

So maybe the shop had it set up as OP1 or OP2
If that was the case how do turn that off
Maybe thats the problem
Tony

Hi Steve
That was it , I set OP1 and Op2 to none and it works fine now
Thanks a lot for all the help
Tony

Hi
I got the manual and am trying to calibrate it now
If you were sitting in the middle of four speakers say 10 foot from each one
Would you calibrate it that way so you set it up that you are 10 foot from each one and set the levels all equal so each speaker is set at 10db
Thanks
Tony

I would set it up as follows:

Measure the distance you sit from all 5 speakers eg 10ft, then input these figures into the processor (this will affect the delay times). Then with the db level set at 0 sit in your usual listening position with a sound pressure level meter and configure each channels own level so that the SPL meter reads the same for each speaker.

Cheers,

Steve

I haven't got a sound pressure level metre so I'll get one
With everything set to 10db the rear speakers are very faint so I guess thats the problem
Thanks for the feedback
All the best
Tony

Hi Steve
It does sound fantastic , I can't get hold of a sound level meter until next week so am trying it manually
Did you set all your levels on your dvd player to 0 and the delays should I set them to zero too and then configure everything through the Bryston
Thanks again
Tony

What I'm trying to say is should the delays and levels on the dvd be set to match the bryston or just turned to zero
Cheers
Tony

Hi, I don't use a dvd player, rather I use my HTPC so don't have that sort of functionality. I would suggest setting the dvd settings to the delays you need as I'm guessing the dvd player's settings only come into play when outputing via it's analogue outputs for SACD etc, rather than when using the S/PDIF (that's when the Bryston will do the work). I'm not 100% sure if when you use the Bryston in bypass, you can still "access" the Brystons channel delays as the signal is kept totally in the analogue domain so am pretty sure the Denon will have to be doing the delay calculations.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks Steve
My kids are going to a birthday party today so going to try and set it all up properly this afternoon
All the best
Tony

Hi Steve
Heres an update
I have set the front two speakers to 0db and the 2 rear speakers to 10db . it does sound great but I'm slightly concerned there is too big a disparity (odb to 10db) between the level settings
Any thoughts
Tony

Hi, I think if it sounds level from front to back it should be fine until you can get hold of an SPL meter. I'm a little surprised at the differences from front to back but obviously depends on size of room etc.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve
One more question , I have set all speakers to large but how does the speaker crossover frequency work . At the moment they are all set to 120hz
Thanks again for all the help
Tony

Hi Tony,

The crossover frequency selected will only work with speakers that are configured as "small". However, if it makes you feel more comfortable, the crossover frequency can be set as "none".

All the best,

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom