1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bryston SP1.7 - couple of interesting snippets

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NicolasB, Jan 17, 2003.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    A couple of interesting things gleaned from emails with one of Bryston's technical guys.... (N.B. None of this is any sense binding, but I think it is probably an accurate reflection of what they currently intend).

1) There will be software upgrade in approximately 6 months time. This will add three interesting features:

a) The processor will become fully THX Ultra 2 compliant.
    b) You will gain the ability to decode the matrixed channel in Dolby Digital EX without using THX post-processing as well.
    c) You will gain the ability to set a global audio delay to achieve lip-synch with progressive video sources. (I put that in bold as it's been a point of interest in a previous thread).

2) Software upgrades can't be done via RS232, they require an EPROM chip inside the unit to be replaced - but they "often" trust customers to do this themselves.

3) I asked about Dolby Headphone possibilities. The current DSP does not possess enough "horsepower"to manage this at the same time as the rest of the stuff it does, but they're planning a DSP upgrade, perhaps in the first half of 2004, probably to the TI DA610. This upgrade will require the unit to go back to the factory, and so will be expensive in this country (the factory is in Canada!) but it should be cheaper than the upgrade from the SP1 to the SP1.7 is, because it would only be the DSP that would be changing. (SP1 to SP1.7 requires two whole new channels of circuitry, a new back-plane, etc. and costs £1200 - roughly double what it costs if you're in the US or Canada).

2. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I e-mailed Bryston late last year, so I was aware of some of the changes you mention Nicolas.

As regards to the EPROM chips, my understanding is that these are very easy to fit, kinda plug 'n' play. They have in the past been sent to customers free of charge, so it will be interesting to see what happens with the addition of THX Ultra 2.

The more I hear about Bryston, the more I like them!
    After a relatively slow start in the processing world, I think that they are now picking up the pace.
    They have always been up there in the sound quality department but a little behind as far as the on board facilities are concerned.

And that 20 yr warranty? Well, ya gotta luv it!!!!

:D :D :D

3. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Yes, i'd like to hear what the Bryston processor can do.

I think the Arcam AV8 is very good & i prefer it to the TAG AVR32

Will have to read up on the TAG AVR192 as i'm sure it'll be a tremendous prospect.

Have slightly gone off multichannel power amps in favour off pro studio power amps or active speakers.

Spligsey

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I believe the basic sound engine of the AV192R - processor, algorithm and DACs - is identical to that in an AV32Rbp192.
    The Bryston SP1.7 is unmistakeably superior to the Arcam AV8 in sound quality terms, but it is a lot more expensive: £4250 rather than £3000 and with no video capabilities of any sort.

Obviously the Meridian 568.2 is very good as well.

The software upgrade I was talking about is likely to be free.