1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bryston SP1.7 & 9B SST - Early thoughts of a new owner.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by AV Geeza, Feb 24, 2003.

1. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After many demos, research and careful consideration, I purchased the Bryston combo. I think Im right in saying that Im the only person on these forums who does have this combo!

Anyway, my initial thoughts are as follows:-
    The build qulaity is excellent, solid and well made, hence the 20 yr warranty!! This build quality extends to the remote (solid and made from metal) which is far better than any of its competitors that I tested, i.e. TAG, Lexicon, Arcam.
    The remote also has a light sensor, which activates the back light in darkened conditions. Nice touch!! :smashin:

Sound quality:-
    Ive had the kit for a week now and I have to start by saying that my criteria for choosing my processor was that it had to be excellent with music, this was my main priority as I listen to far more music than I watch films.
    The Bryston does not dissapoint, in fact IMO, it excells!
    As a pre amp using the by pass mode it is truely transparent, unlike the TAG AV32R that I previously owned.
    The Bryston combo delivers the music in a natural unfatigueing way, with open mids, sparkling not harsh treble and truly deep, controlled bass!! In fact I never knew that my speakers could go that low! :D

With films its really more of the same. The sound does not come across as processed or digitised.
    I initialy thought that the sound wasnt as detailed as with the TAG, but I was wrong!!
    It is! Its just that it presents things in a natural way. It doesnt force things or try to overwhelm you. I hope Im making sense!
    The sound stage is wide and totaly enveloping.
    I really can't believe how good it is!!! :eek:

So is there a down side?
    Well, the set up does leave a bit to be desired. The TAG is ahead in this area and also wins as regards to the display screen on the unit.
    Bryston really should have put a larger LCD panel on the unit as the space is there.
    There are also no video switching capabilities but an add on unit can be purchased if required. (Not a priority for me)
    I havent set things up properly as yet but will do now I have my Avia dvd (Thanks Piero!)

In conclusion, I think that everyone knows that the Bryston amps are excellent but not many are considering the SP1.7!
    If you are considering processors around this price range, you really owe it to yourself to include this on your list!!

Its somewhat of a sleeping giant!!!! :smashin:

2. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Good stuff AV Geeza.......Had a peek @ the SP1.7 @ Bristol and it's a nice unit....and we all know how great Bryston amplification is. Talk about engineering confidence (20 yr warrenty).

You're lucky you're not stuck with a remote as pants as my Meridian:mad:

Thinking about it, there is now a good mix of owners with different AV Processors, so it's good to hear of other peoples impressions...

Arcam, TAG, Meridian, Lexicon, Theta, Rotel etc...etc...

I'm sure we'll find someone who will buy the new Parasound unit in the near future:smashin:

& perhaps the TACT stuff will start to make inroads too.

So, the list will grow & grow.

Adzman.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just curious, didn't you have a 9B ST too ? Is it true it is noticeably improved ?
    Are you still using a Pioneer 626D or something different now, I'm wondering if you've been trying out DVD-A and SACD ?
    I have been investigating Bryston combo for a while, so far it is the only combo that blew my socks off , whilst checking assorted others.
    Why not interested in latest Twin SHARC Tag ?
    Nowadays I'm mostly interested in DVD-A / SACD and movies, the upcoming Rotel 1098 / 1095 or the SP1.7 / 9B SST are my ideal up to now.
    Enjoy them :smashin:

4. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep!! I sure did!!
    I sold it with a view to going all lexicon, but having listened to the Lexicon combination, I really couldn't justify spending all that money.
    IMO, its great, but not worth the money.
    The 9B SST really is a noticable improvement over the 9B ST.
    Its actually more powerful than its predecessor, although the spec sheet has it at 120w @ 8 ohms.
    Its noise floor is lower and bass, mid & treble are all improved.
    A friend of mine brought his 9B ST round on Sat and we compared the two. The difference is clear!!
    A great amp has been made even greater!!

Still got the Pioneer Im afraid! :(
    Ive been looking at various players but am not really sure yet.
    Im very tempted by the Meridian players, i just wish they did them in silver!! :D
    Im going to wait to see the Lexicon RT10 (Or whatever its called!)

Geeza :smashin:

5. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    did you have the Tag power amp before with the 32r and if so, how much better is the bryston as i am thinking of selling my tag power for the 9bst

6. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    AV Geeza.

You can actually get a Meridian player in silver..

Shame it's the 800 series deck:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :suicide:

Adzman

7. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dts_boy,

I did exactly this about two weeks or so ago. Now have a AV32R with a 4BSST/9B combo. The difference between a 100x5R and a 4B (other than 3 channels! :D ), is night and day. Musically they are at different ends of the earth. The 100x5R just cannot play a tune IMHO, the 4B excells with all types of recordings thrown at it. It justifies its acclaims and appraisals amongst audiophiles. The 9B also a massive improvement over the Tag but still dropped by the blistering 4B.

For movies, you won't notice the difference too much so if this is your sole use of your equipment - I'd say don't bother. If you like to spin some cd's, mp3's or whatever, you'll wonder how you ever lived without one.

Well I did anyway.

Get a full 7.1 4B/9B combo. I personally endorse it.
    TT9.

8. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    dts_boy
    No I didn't have the TAG power amp with the AV32R. I did demo the amp but was distinctly underwhelmed by it!!
    If you can sell your amp, then a move to the 9B SST would be a worthwhile upgrade IMO.

TT9
    IMO, I think there is a clear difference, especially if there isnt a sub present.
    The TAG combo sounds thin and over analytical, with poor bass response.
    If you like detail, detail and yet more detail, then Im sure the TAG combo more than fits the bill!!
    You could never describe it as natural sounding though!!!
    I think the AV32R is a great piece of kit but as for the power amp.....

.......you are the weakest link.....

.....Goodbye :thumbsdow