Bryston 9B-SST vs. Theta Intrepid

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by warrj, May 12, 2003.

1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard both the Bryston 9B-SST and Theta Intrepid? If so, what was your opinion of the two amps (particularly if they were driving 'difficult speakers such as B&W Nautilus)? They're both around the same price (4K) and appear to have similar specs.

Regards,

Jules.

2. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think it is wise to audition these amps yourself in your own system. It sounds like flogging a dead horse, but it is the only way. Don't mind what people tell you, they are both great amps. I think just looking at the specs (and techniques used) that the Bryston is a more load-tolerant and low-distortion design.

3. bamber

bamber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't heard the Theta Intrepid or the Bryston 9B SST. But did do a direct comparison between the Theta Dreadnaught and the Bryston 6B SST/ 4B SST combo driving B&W Nautilus 803's/HTM1.

I think the Theta was the overall winner IMHO with superb imaging. There wasn't much between them, I ended up going for the Bryston due the 20 year guarantee.